Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by eh76
tree rats get no quarter here.....

I kill the hell outa' squeals in the field. This is the only one that gets a pass, as I can't legally or safely pop him in the lot anyway. wink

Mrs, KG's friend just got back from from Thanksgiving with family in Honolulu, and brought a gift of macadamias for us. I tossed him down a couple and could swear he got on his wee squirrel knees to pay homage and say a prayer of thanks to the Nut God. I have to remember to grab some Brazil nuts. He'll probably pass out in religious ecstasy when a couple of those big bastards hit the bricks next to him. wink

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So long as you're not wasting cashews. Those you can send to me... smile

Me

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I just fixed him up a bowl of catfood livers and hearts and stirred some dry catfood in with it.

He'll be eatin' high on the hog,..er,.."chicken" tonight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
... he got on his wee squirrel knees to pay homage and say a prayer of thanks to the Nut God....

LOLOL.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good man!

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by eh76
tree rats get no quarter here.....

I kill the hell outa' squeals in the field. This is the only one that gets a pass, as I can't legally or safely pop him in the lot anyway. wink

Mrs, KG's friend just got back from from Thanksgiving with family in Honolulu, and brought a gift of macadamias for us. I tossed him down a couple and could swear he got on his wee squirrel knees to pay homage and say a prayer of thanks to the Nut God. I have to remember to grab some Brazil nuts. He'll probably pass out in religious ecstasy when a couple of those big bastards hit the bricks next to him. wink

I feed a couple of squirrels too.

In fact, that's how the possum developed a taste for peanuts.

If the squirrels leave any, he comes along and clean's 'em up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good on both you and KG, We feed a couple of tree rats here and a couple on wabbits as well. They are fun to watch and safe here in the over 55 "community" we now live in.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey guys, Bristoe isn't soft hearted. His real motive is get the guys together on his front porch, wear red and green suspenders, and officiate at his own Possum Lodge meetings.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Never had possum. I'm guessing it tastes like rat?"

Ghostinthemachine - how do you know what rat tastes like???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You mean.....Bristoe is Red Green ? shocked

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have horses - be sure to shoot the possem! They carry a very deadly virus that kills horses.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I live in Lexington, KY,....asking if I have horses is about like asking if I drive a new Bentley.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like having critters in the yard so long as they don't cause real damage. The trees in back have finally gotten big enough to have a squirrel from across the street build a nest, I get a kick watching him bounce around the branches and give my little dog hell. Miss Lilli has resigned herself to not catching him and sits on the end of the deck with a look of disgust as he chatters at her. Funny! About the only thing that gets plugged is gophers that sometimes move in from the adjoining hayfield when it gets mowed and the population is high. And only because I can't keep them out of the garden like I can yard bunnies.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Still waitin' fer George Jones to show up.

He must be sleepin' late today.

I'll get a pic if I can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MColeman
I understand your attitude completely. I try to catch dirt daubers that get into my shop and take them outside.

Mickey and Bristoe are closet Buddhists.....who'd a thunk it? wink

I never could get a hate on toward possums or armadillos enough to bother shooting them, but I will stomp on a dirt dauber.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've spent the last thirtysome years living with The Boss.

I made the mistake early in our relationship of taking her hunting, (she already fished). I don't know how many mule deer she's killed, her best is on the living room wall (about 180 pts B&C). She's shot about 15 elk and loves prairie dog and varmint hunting. She advised me early on that "Every woman has a right once a year to shoot something with nuts, now are you gonna take me hunting or what?"

However, once something is in her backyard, it's sacrosanct and a pet. In addition to feral cats, we have mule deer, racoons and an occasional skunk getting fed in our back yard.

Outside her backyard they are DEAD. I have mulled and pondered about this for years and can't come up with a logical answer. Can you?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you happen to see Bristoe down at the local food sellin' place stockin' up on sweet taters you'll know that ol' possum George done got invited into the oven.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hey Porkypine,

sounds like you'd best not be leavin' the yard with the Boss, atleast not until she gets her annual fix!!! grin

Cool pics too.

Cheers,
Aussielad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There's this old possum who lives under our deck. I guess he's got a hole down there somewhere.

There was a time when I'd shoot a possum on sight,..usually with a stiff loaded .357,..but I seem to have developed a tad of sympathy for the old boy.

It's totally obvious that he's dumb as a stump,...and there's no question as to his ugliness,...but he has a rough life this time of year.

He doesn't seem inclined to be a bother. He eats and leaves.

I've decided to see to it that he makes it through the winter and have been feeding him.

We've accumulated various cans of cat food that the cats turn their noses up at,...but dump them out on the deck for my possum buddy, and he eats away at it with reckless abandon.

In fact, he'll eat about anything.

Leftovers that have taken on the "not fit for human consumption" look sends him into fits.

The carcass of an old roasted chicken is Christmas morning to him.

He'll work a bowl full of salted in the shell peanuts until his jaws are numb from chewing.

The slimy remnants of a pack of bologna causes him to lapse into a possum alpha state.

Yeah,...it's silly,...but I've adopted a possum.

His wellbeing is my winter project.

I gotta do something until spring,....so I'm gonna see how fat I can make my possum.
get him nice and fat on bread and buttermilk then bake him in the oven with some apple sauce.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have about 6 Blacktail deer that we take care of behind the house. Mineral licks and such.

Also have about 4 billion squirrels, but one skinny runt in particular that hangs out right at the corner of the deck has become somewhat of a pet. Seems to love sunflower seeds the most. Which makes me happy cuz the kids LOVE sunflower seeds, but never seem to get any in their mouth. They usually end up on the floor. So whenever I find a bag of 'em left behind, "Rocko" gets 'em.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (163bc, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,208
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.