Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I haven't done any bird hunting in about 20 years.I've got children getting interested now and would like to get back into bird hunting myself as well.

I am wondering about the regulations now involving non lead shot and if an old SXS can be used just as easily as a newer crome lined gun.I'm not up on all the different kinds of shot or what has to be used in an older gun or even if lead is excluded for other than ducks.

I would like to get another nice SXS and just want to make sure it can be used just as well as a newer gun designed for alternative shot.I have a warm place in my heart for the old SXS but not to just keep in the safe.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The SXS is still a viable option, sure!
I shoot vintage SXS guns as well as a new pedersoli hammer double with has screw in chokes and chrome lined barrels, for those that like that stuff for waterfowl hunting.:>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks
Is lead still used a lot for upland birds or do most places regulate against it? Is it cost effective to shoot non-lead shot that is safe in a good older SXS? About all I know about it is that you shouldn't use steel in a gun not designed for it.

I thought lead had been done away with for ducks and geese but I have a nice camo, crome lined Beretta ES-100 Pintail for that application.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Up here in Canada we still use lead for upland.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Non-toxic shot has to be used in federal waterfowl production areas, and many states have their own requirements. It's not only the game you're hunting, it's where you're hunting.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Non-toxic shot is required for all waterfowl hunting no matter where you are

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most all places I hunt (Kansas and Missouri) for upland birds lead is fine. There's a few public areas that are non-toxic only, and as was mentioned, waterfowl is non-tox everywhere.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
There is a lot of non-lead shot available for using in even the older double guns. It just costs more than lead or steel shot.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Unless you're shooting hundreds of rounds, the extra cost of a good non-toxic load isn't prohibitive. Certainly not enough to sway you from using a good side by side, if you've got one. How many rounds do you usually fire at upland game in the course of a season anyway?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL...the cost of old double friendly ammo will make you a Much better shot very soon. grin

Over time, I think non-toxic shot will be required for all hunting...maybe for all shooting. Look for this move under the current dictatorship. They have nothing to stop them now, except for the next two years of a Republican Congress and filibusterers in the Senate. If/when the liberals control all branches of government two years hence, you'll see draconian regulations, and all of us will be shooting very expensive ammo. Excise taxes and high transportation costs will drive up costs to a point we will shoot less and less.

So, get that double and enjoy it while you have the opportunity. Be comfortable in knowing everyone will be shooting expensive non-toxic ammo. There might even be great new developments in shot that will make it barrel friendly for your double if all shot has to meet government standards.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A side by side double is very ergonomic: if God had intended for us to use over/unders he would have installed our eyeballs vertically instead of horizontally, or only given us one eye ball if we were meant to shoot single barrels. smile

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/16/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All I shoot are SxS's, so yes they are viable.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just spent the day hunting dcks on the WA coast with a little 20ga CZ Bobwhite. Works just fine with steel.. My upland gun is a Darne 12ga shooting ITX NT handloads. I've been shooting sxs since the 1950's they are always good choice.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lord, I hope old SxS's are viable.

I got hung up on my double barrels so bad, I liquidated my pumps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
My upland gun is a Darne 12ga

Nice!
Got any pix of that baby?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Seminole39
Non-toxic shot is required for all waterfowl hunting no matter where you are
So, lead is still good to go for upland then?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In most parts of the country, yes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erich
Just spent the day hunting dcks on the WA coast with a little 20ga CZ Bobwhite. Works just fine with steel.. My upland gun is a Darne 12ga shooting ITX NT handloads. I've been shooting sxs since the 1950's they are always good choice.

where you at in WA?

Andrew
J
J
Up here in Canada we still use lead for upland.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.