24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
There are many ways to display your buck's antlers. So, I thought it'd be fun to share ways to go about it.

Big or small, my family always takes the time to properly mount our antlers and put them on display. To us, every deer is a trophy. Some hang in the cabin, others in the "man cave", and yet others in the garage.

It's fun to look back over the years and remember each buck. Where it was taken. Who was there with us.

I'm always careful to provide details of the hunt on the back of the plaque. Using a sharpie or the like, I inscribe things like where the buck was killed, what rifle I used, and the date. The details of the hunt that time would easily errode from my memory.

This video shows a technique that my family and I have used for years to mount antlers. I put together a quick "how to" to share.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SC_BceQt3T4[/video]

Please feel free to add any other way that you prefer to mount your antlers to this thread.

I'd be interested to see some pictures too, if you've got them! smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never seen anyone paint the plaster, doesn't look half bad. I much prefer a European mount of smaller bucks, but I will occasionally do an antler plaque mount. I like to use the pre-made covers from Van Dykes that look like they are covered in leather. The angle on the skull should be determined at the time you cut it and fine tuned with a rasp/stationary belt sander, no need for the screw that was used to determine angle. I use decorative tacks around the skull plate cover and gold braid at the antler burrs. A nice oak or walnut plaque finishes off the project.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't for sure at first, but it turned out rather handsome. Cool technique.

I will saw down from the back of the skull, continue down below the eyes and down to the olfactory process. Ending up for the whole top, complete natural skull cap.

Or, lately I have been just letting my taxidermist do a non mandible Euro for me with a little full cape bartering involved on the fee. I have been mounting all of particular set of bucks onto a piece of cabin planking near where these deer are killed. All within a 100 yards usually. Extremely weathered wood, but with lots of character.

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I also prefer european mounts. My next will be mounted on a shed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been just boiling them for Euro mounts in recent years, but as a kid I helped my Grandpa mount bucks with a process similar to what you did. We would screw the horns on a larger plaque, plaster a round section, then cover with vinyl and tack the edges.

I've also done them similar to the way you have on a small board, but taped the bases and used expanding foam. After the foam cures, you can carv it to the desired shape, wrap vinyl or cotton cloth around(stapling to the rear of the board), then screw through the rear of a larger plaque into the smaller bd. Makes for a clean mount either way, the foam method is just much easier.

Good job.

loder

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the tip I was just wondering on how to do mine I got this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did a set for Big Hunter's first buck, a 5 point he got his 2nd year.

Found a nice chunk of pine showing nice grain, and cut it out in the shape of Pennsylvania. After that I sanded & varnished it up and attached the horns on it. Needless to say, he was prety pleased.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
here's a euro from a buck I shot this year using the boil it (outside) method. been doing this for a while and like they way they look on the wall.

[Linked Image]

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mountin antlers? Want dat hurt?

Last edited by catman925; 12/11/12.

I got hooked on phonics
Guess my IP now fistphuckology!
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ned- wrap the antlers tightly with saran wrap and tape it after that. I usually use electrical tape. It will help keep them the natural color.

IC B3

OP Offline
Looks great Ned!

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
thanks 805 and lol @ catman925, yes it does.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,656
Posts18,474,665
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.