Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mr. Cameraland:
I'm running out of ideas for supplementing Cookie's equipment. She runs a Canon 50D and has a ring flash that meshes with her macro. I'm thinking that something that might complement her 28-135 lens might be good for some nightime close in wildlife shots. Something that reaches from about 10 to 20 yards.

We have some buddies that are quite good at calling in a variety of owls etc. She also has a remote trigger system, so tripod setups and remote triggering by trails or bait might be applications too. Suggestions? And it can't be too exotic as I need to score something by Christmas. Thank you,

Last edited by 1minute; 12/11/12.

1Minute
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for thinking of is. There are no flashes that will do much good at night at a distance of 30-60 feet. We do have the Canon 600 coming in and may just reach out to have a slight effect on a 30 foot shot, but barely.
We also have the Nissin DI866 II and the Promaster FL1, both very powerful flashes. The problem is the light has nothing to reflect off of.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mr. Cameraland:
Thanks for the speedy response. It sounds like one needs near arc-welder power to have much effect outside of typical room size distances.

In setups for something like a well established perch or bait pile, one could place flash/es in quite close and either trip them remotely or with a wire. Cookie is more a roam around and take what comes type person, and I suspect she would only rarely want to engineer such a setup.

Wish I could do one of the super telephotos, but I can't find a willing cosigner at the moment. I'll do a bit more thinking.

Thank you for being here, your sponsorship, and technical advice. Merry Christmas,

1Minute
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ron: Are you aware of a source that can attach any real numbers to that product? I.e. How much gain does one actually get? Also, I'm a little leary of something with a velcro strap as a primary component.

1Minute
IC B2

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joel:
Hope I'm not a PIA here, but you are dealing with a village idiot that has essentially no flash experience since my Nikon F days back in the 70's. Still have it too.

I've done a little surfing on the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT TTL Shoe Mount Camera Flash.

The following is a copy/paste from the feature listing:
�Zoom flash head covers wide range of 20-200mm; maximum Guide Number (197 ft./60m at ISO 100).

That suggests a bit of reach, but as you mentioned one is not blessed with much in the way of bounce with outdoor environments. Could you venture a guess as to what it's realistic effective range might be? I.e. could one resolve a racoon's whiskers at 50 feet or the subtleties
of bird feathers at say 30 feet?

Thanks again,

1Minute
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Ron: Are you aware of a source that can attach any real numbers to that product? I.e. How much gain does one actually get? Also, I'm a little leary of something with a velcro strap as a primary component.

Google is your friend. It is a widely used product in the bird photography community.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I could add a little to think about. With some of today's cameras and their ability to shoot at higher ISOs, the idea of getting a little detail in a subject at a greater range is possible, but...
When you look at a flash in a dark situation, some people will relate the brightness of the flash as to it's power when there is another factor involved and that is the duration of the flash. The farther away and the more light that the flash puts out is partially because of the duration of the flash being longer. Typically when you use a flash for wildlife you want a shorter burst, which stops the action. The critter being farther away may light up but there could be some movement.
With something like a Better Beamer, it simply focuses the light to a more narrow beam. I would think at night the problem is going to be having the lens being able to focus on that spot quickly in the dark as well.
With the value of some of the Nissin flashes, you may look at setting up 2 to fire into a designated area (almost like a studio) when the bird or animal enters the spot. In other words, it is predicting where a critter will be, which the remote trigger would do. You could use a remote trigger on the flash(s) and have it fire from a closer distance into the area, like 10 feet away.
I hope that makes a little sense. What you are looking for is not impossible to do, it will take a little planning that is all.
Good luck!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. I think I will pursue some other options, and sorry that we did not flex the credit card.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/12/12.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Canon 600, while very powerful indoors would be no where near what you need outside. If you are lucky you may get 25 feet out of it

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This was taken with a better beamer at almost 70 yards in the middle of the night.
[Linked Image]
and this was about 50 yards:
[Linked Image]
I liked the better beamer but unfortunately mine was stolen frown

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The better beamer was likely accompanied with some sort of flash. Specifics?

1Minute
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
it was a 580ex with the BB. Works like a champ.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jasontx
This was taken with a better beamer at almost 70 yards in the middle of the night.
[Linked Image]
and this was about 50 yards:
[Linked Image]
I liked the better beamer but unfortunately mine was stolen frown

70 yds? How in the world did you focus it?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Flashlight smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nicely done. Not an easy task.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
Very nicely done. Not an easy task.
Thank you sir. While the flshlight(Fenix TK30) I use is very powerful, I get allot more OOF than in focus. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As you know, the key to looking good is never to show those! wink

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
As you know, the key to looking good is never to show those! wink
If people only could see the amount of OOF shots I get, they'd never ask me a question again smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never take a bad shot....LOL!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (160user, 2UP, 06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 26 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,175
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.