Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by Furprick
Not that I plan to do that but some people can never have enough money.

Some folks don't work for the money.

I sure as hell don't.....Planning a weekend off around May-June....grin

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, did a little bit of thinking just now and I have had
a job or jobs since I was 14 years old. I guess my grandma
taught me well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got mine started on the pipeline and everything worked out well.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Motivate young people at your place of work or better yet get a family friends kid a job. I have been lucky and did just that.
My two kids are young and got work at a local farmer fruit market. Good first job with nice owners for bosses. Young kids need to understand what it means to work for a decent days pay. That�s how we create work ethics in our youth.

38superman

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Texas99
The union attitude that you should get paid for sitting on your butt doesn't help much, either.

That is so much bullshit!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Every older generation has bitched about every younger generation.

Some younger people learn to work as they mature. Others start out working hard. Others remain lazy their entire lives.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smithwr
Been in the oilfield since i was 20. Im 29 now and am an operator now. Been busting my ass the whole time. Never had 1 red cent of govt money. This week off every month with a $150k a year salary, 4 door diesel, 4x4 truck with unlimited free fuel, full medical, dental, vision, 401, profit sharing didn't just fall in my lap. You can bet your big talkin sweet azz on that!

That sounds like a hell of a good job! As someone almost twice your age, may I recommend saving a bunch of those wages! Business cycles, ups and downs, and the old body wearing out, all happen eventually. The more you have socked away for the future, the better. But congratulations on working your way in to a great job!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank goodness this thread wasn't posted during normal working hours.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thank goodness this thread wasn't posted during normal working hours.

I never knew there was such a thing as normal working hours! laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
From what I understand the "churn" rate of new workers is a heck of a lot higher than its ver been before.

Mule Deer has a point that older generations always complain about newer ones, however this seems different to me.

Maybe it's the amount of " no labor " things in our culture today, he'll I can't remember the last time I saw a non-country folk person make something from scratch.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dont get it either spot. Sunday i had half a day off and i whipped up a 16x18" grill that fits in the receiver hitch. I have.......$6 in it for the hinges. These guys i work with will buy 4-5 cheap grills a year. I guarantee you ill never have to buy another as long as I live. Disposable mindset i guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people I encounter have crappy work ethics. I have to choke down the bile when I have to pay someone to do something for me. Get here late, leave early, and do darn little in between. Try to get someone to work without having their smart phone in hand. How many times I've told asked someone if they're on the clock and to put their phone down or take the earbuds out and get to work. People's idea of a "good job" is kind of shocking too. Contractors here suck! I've been told I could dig up my grandmother, put a check for $80 in her hand, and she could get a contractor's license. It's no protection against crappy work. The catch is to recognize crappy work and throw the people out early. Nobody I've ever hired has worked as hard as I do. I do 90% of the work here myself, and I'd rather buy the tools than pay someone to half azz the job. I don't really trust anyone anymore. I am constantly let down.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how many people post here while they should be working?

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Rut-roh

Lunch breaks. ...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/12/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
From what I understand the "churn" rate of new workers is a heck of a lot higher than its ver been before.

Mule Deer has a point that older generations always complain about newer ones, however this seems different to me.

Maybe it's the amount of " no labor " things in our culture today, he'll I can't remember the last time I saw a non-country folk person make something from scratch.

I was going to jump you there.....but you are right, I am country through and through.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I blame it on the fact that I'm a lazy unionized worker with too much free time.

Last edited by archie_james_c; 12/12/12.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shop I worked with hires a lot college and high school kids to help us get through some summer rush periods. We always consult references (teachers, professors, and prior employers), and always try to secure the validictorian types. With extremely rare exceptions, they work out very well, and it's rewarding to be writing letters of reference in subsequent years to academies, law schools, and security agencies.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I wonder how many people post here while they should be working?

Me...I am the manager of a Rural supply store and I have had one customer, delivered some gas bottles and sent an order for tags.

...and tomorrow I may just as easily be run off my feet, there is no picking it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rob p
Most people I encounter have crappy work ethics. I have to choke down the bile when I have to pay someone to do something for me. Get here late, leave early, and do darn little in between. Try to get someone to work without having their smart phone in hand. How many times I've told asked someone if they're on the clock and to put their phone down or take the earbuds out and get to work. People's idea of a "good job" is kind of shocking too. Contractors here suck! I've been told I could dig up my grandmother, put a check for $80 in her hand, and she could get a contractor's license. It's no protection against crappy work. The catch is to recognize crappy work and throw the people out early. Nobody I've ever hired has worked as hard as I do. I do 90% of the work here myself, and I'd rather buy the tools than pay someone to half azz the job. I don't really trust anyone anymore. I am constantly let down.
Wow do I hear that ! It's gotten to the point I know damn well If I want anything done right, I'd better be doing it myself. EVERYBODY, both young and old, does EVERY DAMNED THING with a lick and a prayer these days and it drives me batschit crazy ! Seems there are DAMNED FEW people left in this country who know what craftsmanship and pride in a job WELL DONE even is. "Professional" incompetence runs rampant !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (02bfishn, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.