Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The American electorate wasn't given a good choice in that election. They got a choice between a neocon in the pockets of the big banks or a Marxist in the pockets of the big banks. We didn't get a choice to vote for someone who wasn't in the pockets of the big banks, who wasn't an advocate for one or the other big bank agenda.

That was VERY well said Hawk; one of the most profound things you�ve ever said on the subject of politics.

Now, to be honest, Obama is a far cry from a Marxist. I actually know two Marxists, honest to goodness dedicated communists (and they�re into guns, and support the 2nd Amendmen � Don�t ask, I don�t get it either), and both of those guys call Obama right wing�I just burst out laughing when they say that, but then they make their case and from their viewpoint, he�s rather right wing.

And Romney as a NeoCon; I don�t know. I just see him as a populist who will adopt any position that will bring him power�Oh wait, just like Obama. See, you were right; not much difference at all. And both are firmly in the right and left hand pockets of the big banks.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The American electorate wasn't given a good choice in that election. They got a choice between a neocon in the pockets of the big banks or a Marxist in the pockets of the big banks. We didn't get a choice to vote for someone who wasn't in the pockets of the big banks, who wasn't an advocate for one or the other big bank agenda.

That was VERY well said Hawk; one of the most profound things you�ve ever said on the subject of politics.

Now, to be honest, Obama is a far cry from a Marxist. I actually know two Marxists, honest to goodness dedicated communists (and they�re into guns, and support the 2nd Amendmen � Don�t ask, I don�t get it either), and both of those guys call Obama right wing�I just burst out laughing when they say that, but then they make their case and from their viewpoint, he�s rather right wing.

And Romney as a NeoCon; I don�t know. I just see him as a populist who will adopt any position that will bring him power�Oh wait, just like Obama. See, you were right; not much difference at all. And both are firmly in the right and left hand pockets of the big banks.
Yeah, the incidental differences between them mean little in the larger picture, since they are both in the pockets of the big banks. My point being, they're both about expanding government at the expense of liberty from one angle or the other. For those more interested in retaining and restoring liberty than anything else, there's not much to choose from between them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Laguna

The American electorate was given a choice in 2012: Obama, Romney (just as bad), Johnson, or abstaining. The fist two were horrible choices.
But our corrupt political system is set up to disadvantage third parties, to the point they're excluded from public debates and have a hard time getting on the ballots in most states.

Which is why the electoral college has to be changed in order to give third party candidates a realistic chance of prevailing. Winner-takes-all assures that the ruling elite will never lose its grip on power to the detriment of the rest of us who are ruled.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The American electorate was given a choice in 2012: Obama, Romney (just as bad), Johnson, or abstaining. The fist two were horrible choices.
But our corrupt political system is set up to disadvantage third parties, to the point they're excluded from public debates and have a hard time getting on the ballots in most states.

Which is why the electoral college has to be changed in order to give third party candidates a realistic chance of prevailing. Winner-takes-all assures that the ruling elite will never lose its grip on power to the detriment of the rest of us who are ruled.
Interesting point, Raisuli.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You caught that too, eh?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
You caught that too, eh?
I'm actually only about 90% sure it's him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The electoral college doesn't need to be eliminated; where the change has to be made, and the only place it can be made, is on the state level. If the electors from each state were proportioned according to the percentage of votes received by each candidate then the system would be more truly representative of the wishes of the electorate. It is the individual states, not the federal government, who select the electors and who determine how those electoral votes should be cast.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
The electoral college doesn't need to be eliminated; where the change has to be made, and the only place it can be made, is on the state level. If the electors from each state were proportioned according to the percentage of votes received by each candidate then the system would be more truly representative of the wishes of the electorate. It is the individual states, not the federal government, who select the electors and who determine how those electoral votes should be cast.

I agree, BUT does your theory fix the problem with 2 counties in an entire state, swinging the whole state???

Like nevada, reno and vegas carried the whole state for Obammy

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky

Nevada is the classic example, since those are BY FAR the most populous counties. But if you did something that would nullify those two counties swinging the entire state, you�re creating a system where 80% of the voters don�t count (that is, if you stay with an electoral college system).

If you do away with the electoral college, then candidates would only campaign on the east and west coasts, and the rest of the nation pretty much wouldn�t matter. So here we are between a rock and a hard place.

The other alternative it to go to a system like Israel where parliament representation is reflective of the votes and the majority party forms their government. Again, creates probably as many problems as it solves.

It think the lesson here is that there really isn�t any system that is perfect, or will satisfy everyone.

I agree, BUT does your theory fix the problem with 2 counties in an entire state, swinging the whole state???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the answer, let's elect the electors instead of the presidential candidates. Let the electors campaign in their respective states for the vote and than let the electors vote for the president as they do now.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I have the answer, let's elect the electors instead of the presidential candidates. Let the electors campaign in their respective states for the vote and than let the electors vote for the president as they do now.
Actually that is the system currently in place, with the exception of having the electors campaign in place of the actual candidates. When you vote in a presidential election, you are actually electing a slate of electors. These electors then go to Washington DC where each one of them casts two votes -- one for president and one for vice-president. These ballots are then sealed, and passed to the president of the senate, who tallies them, and announces the result to congress. Five days later the president-elect is sworn in as president.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's hard to believe this thread was nominated for Hijack of the Year, BEFORE it degenerated into a political discussion. It was headed in a much better direction with Hobbits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

By apportioning the electoral vote, a candidate would have to receive 100% of the popular vote to pick up all of the electoral vote. For example, in Nevada where population centers (Reno and Nevada) can carry the state, by apportioning the electors between the candidates based on the percentage of the popular vote, a candidate with 60% popularity state wide would only receive 60% of the electors, the other 40% would be pledged to the other candidates based on their percentage of the popular vote.

The advantage of this system is that the "fly over states" -- the true heartland of America -- would become just as important as the states with the largest population in determining who is elected president.

Here's how this would work in the real world:

At the last election Obama took 50% of the popular vote in Florida (a key "battle ground state") and Romney took 49.1% of the popular vote. Because Obama had a 0.9% lead, he received 100% of Florida's 29 electoral votes. Under an apportioned system Obama would have had only 15 electoral votes, and Romney 14 votes. The same would have been true in Michigan, where the vote split 53/46 in favor of Obama who picked up 17 electoral votes, instead of the 9 he would have received under an apportioned system of voting. That would have made the electoral vote 24/22 in favor of Obama instead of 46/0 in his favor. With the vote split 24/22 Utah's 6 electoral votes would be crucial to both candidates. With the vote going 73/26 to Romney, he would have picked up 4 electoral votes, with 2 going to Obama, giving both men 26 electoral votes, as opposed to a 46/6 vote lead for Obama under the current "winner take all" system used by the states.

Would this have made a difference at the last election? Perhaps, perhaps not. But it would have forced the candidates to pay attention to those people living in states where their vote is largely symbolic.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 12/13/12.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I hadn't thought of the government forcing us to purchase prohibitive liability insurance on our guns as a method of de facto confiscation. If government can legally force us to buy health insurance under penalty of prison, then why couldn't it force us to buy gun liability insurance?

The implication is clear: confiscation is within sight.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Somehow this thread got sidetracked from SHTF guns to a treatise on elections..

LOL...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Redneck whats in your bugout bag? That might help get it back on track! LOL

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

By apportioning the electoral vote, a candidate would have to receive 100% of the popular vote to pick up all of the electoral vote. For example, in Nevada where population centers (Reno and Nevada) can carry the state, by apportioning the electors between the candidates based on the percentage of the popular vote, a candidate with 60% popularity state wide would only receive 60% of the electors, the other 40% would be pledged to the other candidates based on their percentage of the popular vote.

The advantage of this system is that the "fly over states" -- the true heartland of America -- would become just as important as the states with the largest population in determining who is elected president.

Here's how this would work in the real world:

At the last election Obama took 50% of the popular vote in Florida (a key "battle ground state") and Romney took 49.1% of the popular vote. Because Obama had a 0.9% lead, he received 100% of Florida's 29 electoral votes. Under an apportioned system Obama would have had only 15 electoral votes, and Romney 14 votes. The same would have been true in Michigan, where the vote split 53/46 in favor of Obama who picked up 17 electoral votes, instead of the 9 he would have received under an apportioned system of voting. That would have made the electoral vote 24/22 in favor of Obama instead of 46/0 in his favor. With the vote split 24/22 Utah's 6 electoral votes would be crucial to both candidates. With the vote going 73/26 to Romney, he would have picked up 4 electoral votes, with 2 going to Obama, giving both men 26 electoral votes, as opposed to a 46/6 vote lead for Obama under the current "winner take all" system used by the states.

Would this have made a difference at the last election? Perhaps, perhaps not. But it would have forced the candidates to pay attention to those people living in states where their vote is largely symbolic.

Gotcha, and that is a great idea

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Actually that is the system currently in place, with the exception of having the electors campaign in place of the actual candidates. When you vote in a presidential election, you are actually electing a slate of electors. These electors then go to Washington DC where each one of them casts two votes -- one for president and one for vice-president. These ballots are then sealed, and passed to the president of the senate, who tallies them, and announces the result to congress. Five days later the president-elect is sworn in as president.

Ah nope. The electors are chosen by each party and the party that wins the general election for president gets to vote for president which is usually for their party. Some states have modified that a little. The electors meet in their respective State capitals usually in the Secretary of State's office. None go to Washington. They no longer vote for president and vice president. They for president and the vice president on the same ticket. I've been to an electoral college and I've read the US Constitution. I know of what I speak of.

What I was speaking of is voting for individual electors and letting the electors pick the candidate of their choice.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
It's hard to believe this thread was nominated for Hijack of the Year, BEFORE it degenerated into a political discussion. It was headed in a much better direction with Hobbits.

There's truth in that! And I'm guilty as charged. Back to our regularly scheduled programing. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'll agree that when the [bleep] hits the fan, that knowing a gun is handy and ready can be comforting.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 405winash, 9 invisible), 948 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.