Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The tractor probably pulled the broiler to new locations.

There should be some good arrow points in that country if not cleaned out.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/13/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Portable Boiler for steam drills,final answer.,

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah,there's lots of it in that area.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Portable Boiler, for powering /pressuring up who knows WHAT steam powered implement or device.

Thats what I think too...Its just a portable power unit.
No real specific function of its own other than providing steam power for various other machines that did have a specific function, like pumps, drills, stone crushers, conveyors or what ever was needed at the time....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't read the whole thread, but I bet it is a boiler used in the processing of candelilla, a Euphorbia that is commonly found along the Rio Grande west of the Pecos. It is processed to make a wax that was useful in making many products in the late 19th and the early 20th centuries. If you float the lower canyons, you will see old iron pipes hanging on the cliffs on the U.S. side that were used to pipe water up from the river to the processing vats.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bingo!

I remember [now] someone telling of a particular use for the wax in WW1.Wish I could remember what it was.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mass production for commercial uses began in Mexico in the early 20th century. World War One increased the demand for this wax because it was used to waterproof military equipment and tents.

A copy and paste of course.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
home built train set?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It it amazing to get out and about in remote areas where one thinks he could be the first to tread and discover substantial implements from 100+ years ago. I've run around a bit in the Oregon/Idaho Hells Canyon area chasing deer. One can claw his way around a slope to some 2-acre bench and discover horse drawn farming equipment, household items, and mining equipment that would be choppered in in the present day.

Obviously, the pioneers worked their butts off simply trying to live in some very harsh areas. Although many failed, one still has to admire them for at least trying.

1Minute
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Bingo!

I remember [now] someone telling of a particular use for the wax in WW1.Wish I could remember what it was.
I thought it was pronounced candelaria. The wax is used in lip balm, cosmetics, etc.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/13/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Bingo!

I thought it was pronounced candelaria. The wax is used in lip balm, cosmetics, etc.
That's an anglicization of the Spanish pronunciation. Either is acceptable in polite company.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"I thought it was pronounced candelaria."

Me too.That's the name of a village up the river 48 miles from Presidio and I figured that was why the town got its' name.

Ain't the first time I figgered wrong!

[Hell, I even bought a Win '94 years ago, figgering it would work] grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Moonshine still?

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
It it amazing to get out and about in remote areas where one thinks he could be the first to tread and discover substantial implements from 100+ years ago.

I was hiking around in north central maine years back and, in the middle of who-knows-where, is a car. Big ole tree growing out of where the engine bock should have been. Not some sappling either. no roads, no trails... just woods. Pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's a urine purification for the Mexican army. It was designed by General Santa Anna just before he was found cowering behind Texas cacti. He said purified urine tasted like chicken.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 94 works - a little way, anyway. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a locomotive style steam boiler. The dome on top is called a steam dome. The door in front of you is the fire box door. The smaller holes on the front and sides are hand hole openings used to clean and inspect the boiler internally. Because this is a firetube boiler, the heat generated in the fire box drafts down the 3" tubes to heat the water to the point it becomes steam.

There are three similar boilers working to this day near Junction ,Tx.

Boiler 101

BP...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are three similar boilers working to this day near Junction ,Tx.

And there used to be a boiler similar to that at at Luckenbach, TX, next to the old barn on Grape Creek. Clearly used to drive some sort of machinery as there was a long shaft of some kind running into the barn.

All gone now some years back, in a flood I believe.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lawnmower

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,178
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.