Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
In a word, NO.

DITTO:

In 40 yrs of deer hunting, so very many diff rifles, diff manufact, calibers, cartridges etc.

NOT EVEN a scope failure --

ON or DURING a hunt.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was invited to a private game ranch. The owner offered a topless ranch jeep that had a gun rack mounted on the hood for the duration of our stay. 3 of us had 4 rifles in the rack which was padded and appeared very secure. I don�t remember why but we decided to drive into town in the jeep. As soon as we hit 50mph the gun rack flew back striking the driver and passenger in the head knocking both out. The guns were catapulted onto the pavement at 50mph. The rear seat passenger saved everyone�s life by leaping forward and hitting the brake with his hands. All the rifles were ruined.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nope, I test them thouroughly at the range in field postiitons and off the bench. If they are going to take a crap, that's where they do it........Plenty tested before they go out into the field!!!!! I've had extractor failures, trigger, safety and other issues at my secluded private range.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which of the three were you?

Was invited to a private game ranch. The owner offered a topless ranch jeep that had a gun rack mounted on the hood for the duration of our stay. 3 of us had 4 rifles in the rack which was padded and appeared very secure. I don�t remember why but we decided to drive into town in the jeep. As soon as we hit 50mph the gun rack flew back striking the driver and passenger in the head knocking both out. The guns were catapulted onto the pavement at 50mph. The rear seat passenger saved everyone�s life by leaping forward and hitting the brake with his hands. All the rifles were ruined.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Driver

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My younger brother and I were hiking to a flyfishing creek a couple years ago. He was carrying our Grandpa's old Marlin 32win special. When we got to the creek he walked out in it and started fishing. I was tying a fly on and looked up at him when he made this grunt/whisper. He nodded to the left and there was a monster trophy blackbear! I slinked over and grabbed the rifle. Went to kick a shell in and... The lever wouldnt come back up! I wrestled it for 30 seconds and the bear had forced his way back into some alders.
I took the rifle home to figure it out. Took it apart and discovered that the ammo was 30-30! I hope he learned from it and doesnt forget. I know I wont.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller
My younger brother and I were hiking to a flyfishing creek a couple years ago. He was carrying our Grandpa's old Marlin 32win special. When we got to the creek he walked out in it and started fishing. I was tying a fly on and looked up at him when he made this grunt/whisper. He nodded to the left and there was a monster trophy blackbear! I slinked over and grabbed the rifle. Went to kick a shell in and... The lever wouldnt come back up! I wrestled it for 30 seconds and the bear had forced his way back into some alders.
I took the rifle home to figure it out. Took it apart and discovered that the ammo was 30-30! I hope he learned from it and doesnt forget. I know I wont.

I'll be damned! There is only one person this could be. Is this Nick? It has to be! I heard this story from your Daddy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda. Had a Voere O/U 20 gauge/222 magnum that I hunted deer and grouse with. Jumped a nice 4x4 buck and pelted him with birdshot. Selector got bumped inadvertently. Got the blacktail buck a while later sneaking around me. Same rifle failed to fire on a coyote, light strike. Anschutz .17 Ackley Hornet had a failure to eject, but brass separated. Custom 270 failure to fire, excess headspace. 250 Savage failure to feed, needed to wind rotor spring.

LOL
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Mattm907

I'll be damned! There is only one person this could be. Is this Nick? It has to be! I heard this story from your Daddy!
Yup!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Mattm907

Yup!

Small world I guess. I hope you guys make it down for Christmas. If not I send your Dad home with a box of 32 win, and throw a 30-30 in there for a suprise for you. You should change your name to FreezerEmptier. Just kidding.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Buddy's rifle gave him a bit of trouble on a hunt a few years back.. smirk

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Scope looks good...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mighta busted that BC cover back..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I'm not sure if failure is the right word but I had a Savage 111 when I first started into hunting and wasn't too knowledgable about firearms or scope mounting. The scope was mounted by the retailer.

The firearm took 1 deer but at the shot, the scope was destroyed internally. I didn't know it as I continued to miss easy shots throughout the hunt. It wasn't until I got back to a target board that we knew the truth.

Now, this wasn't a scope failure, per-se. The holes for the bases were drilled so far off center in opposite directions that the scope tube was being pulled in two different directions by the steel rings that a failure under recoil was inevitable.

The replacement rifle from Savage had a receiver which was so badly warped, shimming the rear base was required just to get it on paper.

I will never touch another Salvage.

Last edited by Vanguard_Shooter; 12/14/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
While on a pig hunt, I worked the bolt on my Sako 75 7mm-08 and had the magazine fall out. Superbly accurate rifle, but I sold it after that hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driver

Ouch!

Literally added insult to injury when the cobwebs cleared - rifles were junk.

Double ouch.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mako25
Driver

Ouch!

Literally added insult to injury when the cobwebs cleared - rifles were junk.

Double ouch.

Worse than you could imagine. Actually it was 3 rifles and a shotgun. The shotgun was a Browning Superposed O/U .410. One of the rifles was a pre-Garcia Forester w/Leupold.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old trapping partner shot at 2 deer and neither gun went off. To be fair, neither one were loaded. smile It was pretty funny to hear a click and then hear his swearing while the deer walked off to survive another day.

My only failure was with my 700, and it was my fault. The ball bearing inside the safety froze up due to some rust and I couldn't take my rifle off safe. I took it home, took the action out and saw what happened and fixed it no problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shotgun was a Browning Superposed O/U .410. One of the rifles was a pre-Garcia Forester w/Leupold.

Diein' might have been better.

Nahhhh, but still - that sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was pretty funny to hear a click and then hear his swearing....

I'd remind 'im once in a while too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.