Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've been considering purchasing a full size 1911 for carrying purposes. All the autos I own have 3.5 or 4 inch barrels and I'm wondering if the extra inch of sight radius would be worth the extra trouble. A decent 1911 is expensive, so I don't want to do this haphazardly. I'm relatively small-framed, myself (5'-7", 160 lbs).

So, how many of you consistently carry a five inch, all steel 1911, and how do you carry it? Is it comfortable all day? I've got a great belt (Simply Rugged) and am willing to invest in a high quality holster.

WW

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Over the 30+ years I've been carrying concealed, there were two or three years in there when I carried a full sized, all steel, Government Model in an IWB holster all day long. If you're not extremely active on a daily basis, it's pretty easy to do with a good holster and belt. The slimness of the gun helps a lot. I only had to stop when I started a daily program to get into shape for an elk hunt. I developed a friction rash from it, and had to switch to a lighter gun.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A Govt. Model is all I carry. A good belt and holster make it easy to carry and conceal with what I wear everyday. You'll either get used to the weight or get to were you hate how heavy it is I reckon. I carry a Blackhawk sometimes out on the farm and even though the weight isn't that different the holster I've got for the 1911 makes it much easier to carry all day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well I'm about 5' 3" and about 220. I can carry my 1911 in open carry mode for hunting or range work all day long but I would not want to carry in CCW mode. Just not built for it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The thing to remember is that with the barrel inside your trousers, it's the butt of the pistol that is difficult to conceal.

I first started carrying a 1911 back in the mid-70s when I was 6' tall and weighed in at 170 lbs. soaking wet. After two years with a full size 1911 I switched to a Colt Commander. Today I'm still 6' tall, but bone dry tip the scales at 200 lbs. I prefer the Commander-sized 1911s, but find a full size no more difficult or uncomfortable to carry "concealed".

Last edited by Old_Writer; 12/14/12.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I too have carried various 1911's for 30+ years. Officers, Commander and full 5". I finally performed a SxS test per my shooting ability and low and behold I did better with the 5". This consisted of drawing from the holster and firing 1 shot, double taps, aimed and natural point shooting. The 5" kept beating the other two. Truly surprised me. Utah is a very gun friendly gun state; to a point where I started open carrying 3-1/2 years back. With a good belt and holster an all steel 1911 is very stable and comfortable, IWB or OWB. I use one of two belts. The nylon Wilderness Instructors belt for the majority of my daily dress and a Mitch Rosen pre cut on the curve, black leather belt when I dress up. Both excellent belts. I good belt and holster cannot be under emphasized in not only security for the gun but comfort and consistent location of the gun itself to stay in one place. The one place your gun hand will always go to when drawing; especially under stress.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 12/14/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i cary a colt lw comander with a bobtail in a bandara belt and conceal with a long t shirt. i shoot it as well as any of the full size 1911s

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm 6' 2" and weigh around 260 lbs and carry a 5" all steel Springfield 45 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II very comfortably, like Scott F says, after a bit you forget it's even there.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a full size Government Model too. Sometimes I just 'Mexican carry' it inside my waistband in the small of my back. Other times I use a Safariland 518...and I've carried it in a fanny pack too. Just depends in the circumstances.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been carying a full size Kimber with aluminum frame, off and on for several years in a desantis IWB.

You get so you don't even notice it's there.

Heck, I feel necked without a pistol in my britches! (grin!)

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
I've been considering purchasing a full size 1911 for carrying purposes. All the autos I own have 3.5 or 4 inch barrels and I'm wondering if the extra inch of sight radius would be worth the extra trouble. A decent 1911 is expensive, so I don't want to do this haphazardly. I'm relatively small-framed, myself (5'-7", 160 lbs).

So, how many of you consistently carry a five inch, all steel 1911, and how do you carry it? Is it comfortable all day? I've got a great belt (Simply Rugged) and am willing to invest in a high quality holster.

WW
I used to carry one when I was younger. Mexican or small of the back carry is about the best for concealment if you can go with your shirt untucked. An undershirt keeps some of the perspiration off the gun. The problem with such carry is that the gun may not be in the same position it last was. To me, that's the main reason for holsters with a 1911. The worst thing about the 1911 is the weight sagging it down.

To me, there are better options than the 1911 nowadays. Then again, it isn't hard to conceal.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm 6'1" 170 and have carried a 1911 daily since the 1970s. 99% of the time it has been a Commander. It has been carried in a conventional belt holster, an Askins Avenger, IWB holster strong side, Davis Concealer (Like a Summer Special II) or behind the left hip butt forward with and without a IWB holster.

One of the guys I shoot with is about 5'6" probably 160 as he is very well built. He has two of the Taurus full size GM and that is all he carries and shoots. He uses a IWB holster of some sort that looks like SSII.

Most of carrying is mental. If you want to carry something you will find a way. You may have to adjust your "style" of clothing but it can be done.

I went to the Commander over the GM when I found that in both qualifying for the job and in IPSC competition there was no difference in my scores and since I was just a little faster from the holster with the Commander, who needed the extra weight and length.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
More important than sight radius is whether or not the pistol fits your hand.
If you have to regrasp the pistol from shot to shot you can't utilize the potential accuracy it may have.
As far as comfort if it is vital that you carry it you should be uncomfortable when you take it off.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Assuming a rational motive(no Teuller drills, or engaging ninjas), you can carry a full-size 1911 without issue. You will forget that it is there after awhile. Bazzillions of folks have been doing it for a long time.

The 1911 is about the best pistol made for IWB carry.

Strong-side IWB needs to have a bit of a cant and you may find the pistol will tend to "stand up" when you sit down. IWB comfort depends more on the belt than the holster, and you can use nearly anything (or nothing) for the holster.

OWB is great with a paddle holster that places the weapon high enough to remain concealed without wearing a duster and canted enough so that sitting doesn't break your ribs. The wider-deeper the paddle, the less critical the belt. Paddle-types are great because you can remove the holstered weapon for stowing (going to the bathroom, etc.).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a full size steel 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck all day. Very comfortable. That holster and its copies seem to be recommended along wtih the milt sparks versamax II and Summer special the most. I went with the crossbreed because of cost, availability and seemed slimmer fitting as well. I use a wilderness instructor belt as well.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've been carrying and shooting 5 inch, 1911's for over 50 yrs. Outside the waistband, with a decent holster and a very good belt, like a Milt Sparks, they are no problem at all.
But, because I'm 5-8, and have small hips, for concealed carry, inside the waistband, they are too long. When I sit down, the muzzle protrudes into the seat cushion tends to move the gun. For that reason, I carry a 220 SIG with a 4.4 inch barrel.
The alloy framed 4-4 1/4 inch 1911's simply don't handle or shoot nearly as well for me as do the 5 inch all steel 1911's. Even the alloy framed, 5 inch 1911's don't. For whatever reason, the Colt 3 inch Defender does. Why, I can't tell you.
So, what I'm saying is you need to find something that, first and foremost, you shoot well. Then find one that you can do that and it rides well in your choosen mode of carry.
Off hand, it sounds like you already have and carry shorter guns. Perhaps you can try one out with a longer barrel and see if shoots and handles much better for you.
Like I mentioned above, even some really short, light guns can shoot well for me. No, they don't shoot as well, slow fire, at 25 yds., but they'd do for strictly defensive purposes. The best I can do with my SIG 220 at 25 yds. is about 2.5-3 inch groups. With my Kimber Custom Target, I can do 1.5-2 inch groups. So, in the field, I pack the Kimber OTW. But, for around town, IWB, it's the SIG 220. E

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've known a lot of people who have carried full-size 1911A1's & never complained.

BTW, in my opinion, a good-quality 1911A1 in .45 ACP is the best self-defense handgun. It even works with ball ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 17,146 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,874
Posts18,538,014
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
3 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.