-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We did not start out or intend to be Kel Tec heavy in our home, but it kinda turned that way be default. Oh, we have our steel guns from Colt etc, but dangitall these Kel Tecs are SO light, dependable, cost effective and useful!

I have had myPMR30 22WMR for a couple of years now, Sherri and I kinda been sharing the P3AT 380, and after owning about a half dozen different carry guns and looking at/handling hundreds of guns at various gun shows Sherri decided a Kel Tec PF-9 was THE carry gun for her to own. I certainly would have made sure we covered the cost if she had picked out something from Sig Sauer or Kahr or any other maker but the PF-9 is the rigfht size and shape, and does not have an external or manual safty for her to have to learn. WE took it out to the range today and she just cut the heart of the paper bad guy right OUT with her new little peashooter.

But that only made three Kel Tec's..... Thursday night the wifey found a PMR30 of her own to buy, and for a reasonable sum, too! . All I had to do was drive her 120 miles to get it! So, after work on Thursday drive we did, getting home at about midnight but her all smiles now that she has her very OWN PMR30 to have and to hold. We took it out to the range today as well and she can flat shoot that little piece as well.

Kudos to Kel Tec for making affordable, functional, amazingly thin and lightweight guns that people can easily afford (Unless one is talking the actual GOING rate for a PMR30 or KSG)

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with your sentiment. If, God forbid, you have to use a carry gun you're probably unlikely to get it back and if you do the cops will have engraved an evidence number on it and at any rate it will likely not be in the same shape as it was when they took it into custody if you are lucky enough to get it back. For that reason I have a lot handguns (like my late LEO dad's backup piece, a pristine Smith Mdl 36 made in 1960 and my Colt Det Spec) that I hesitate to carry. Something like an economical Kel-Tec that is dependable and will get the job done is just the ticket, in my opinion.

Last edited by GeorgiaBoiler; 12/15/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A fellow at church just had his pmr30 explode on him. Blew top half of the chamber completely off.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338Federal
A fellow at church just had his pmr30 explode on him. Blew top half of the chamber completely off.

So, you and your buds pack guns to church, too? Cool, but we don't usually fire them off during the service. God made his PMR30 blow up as judgement for him distracting folks from the sermon with his shooting skills and prowess. Serves him right! smile

Seriously though, the early ones did that on occasion. The newer generation of PMR30's have re inforced chambers and topstraps. I am sure that Kel Tec will make it right by and for him. He will probably get a whole new gun and the wait for those is 9 months to 1.5 years.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops..guess I worded that kinda poorly. We attend the same church. I'm sure he's in contact with Keltec.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did y'all pay for the new addition, if I may ask.

There were three at gun show here today but dealer was asking $ 500 ea. seemed a bit steep so got my wife a Ruger 22/45 LITE for less than $400.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you really want to put a smile on your face, hook up with a sub2000. I have a 9 and a .40 with hi-capacity Glock mags. It doesn't get more fun than these plus they are great home defense guns. Hitting the 8" gong at 100 yards is no problem.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Church so you have two of them now - ya lucky bugger.

I bought 3 mags for mine, still breaking in 2 of them

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
What did y'all pay for the new addition, if I may ask.

There were three at gun show here today but dealer was asking $ 500 ea. seemed a bit steep so got my wife a Ruger 22/45 LITE for less than $400.

She paid $550 for this one. A tad higher than I have paid for a couple others, but she had the cash and wanted it so home it came. If you have a chanvce to get one for $500 I would suggest you grab it. I have seen them sell for as much as $750, and in fact have re sold two of them for that amount myself at gun shows. I know, suggested retail is only $349, but to actually FIND one for that? Pretty rare although I have done so twice so feel particularly fortunate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A gun shop I was just at quoted me $325 on a pmr. (lion country supply) Will put me on a list but has no idea when he'll get em in. Seeing that price, there is no way I would be paying GB prices for one of those. They are bidding up and over $700. People are nuts.

Safariman, do the pmr's shoot accurarely? Do they run smoothly or are they ammo brand sensitive? Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GC, The ones I have had are reasonably accurate, but I am not a good handgun accuracy testing medium at all. I have read and heard that they are pretty decent as to accuracy, and they are good enough for my poor shooting skills.

As to running well, they are a tad ammo sensitive, but the ones I have had all ran great on Winchester silver box 40gr HP's and now the new Hornaday Critical Defense 45gr flex tip ammo that is formulated for pistols and gets higher velocity's than rifle ammo used in these. I have not tried lots of ammo because mine have run terrific with the two loads I cared about. I have read where the PMR30's don't like to run with 30-33gr ammo but the few I have tried worked fine, though I cannot think of a reason to use them in this format.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you. I'm definetly interested in one, just want to make sure they run smoothly. Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am on an insane hunt for one now, especially after the recent events

2 I have found in my area were both from individuals and both were asking 700

If I could grab one for 500 Id take it in a heartbeat

My FFL who is a good friend has 2 on order for me at 297 each....problem is who knows when he can get them

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Procrastination was not a good direction when thinking about a PMR30 purchase- they had been hard to get in this area; the local dealer had only a couple delivered.

The madness has set in now- the PMR's are now bringing over $1K on Gunbroker and no one in the area has one. Maybe I should just give my S&W 648 the love it deserves and move on..... maybe a Single Six in wmr as a companion?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324196374

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Local one on seattleguns.net for $725 iirc. Hard to find around here right now but my brother paid $325 at the local gun shop for his. First and only one they got in and the guy behind the counter has a standing offer to buy it back for $600 as he wants one and can't get it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
At these prices, I might even sell MINE! And I thought I would never sell it. but a cool thousand smackers? Hmmmm.... That would pay my way on the TN piggie hunt and 1/2 the airfare even. A guy has to consider such when the money gets that good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, that would be tempting, but IIRC, you had one before and sold it and then aquired another? Next time you get the hankering for one, the price may be even higher or it may even become unavailable if the gun grabbers get their way.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, that is the other side of the equation that gives me pause, but it is also what is driving the prices so nutso.

Yes, I have had more than one. This pistol and my 329PD are/were two of the most versatile and useful handguns I have ever owned. I still need and hope to replace the 329PD.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.