Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Why do you think the filter has to be replaced at about 200 gallons, because it gets too plugged up to function anymore.

Hmmmmmmm ................ back flush for free or spend $50.00 on a new filter.

P.S. Sawyer provides instructions for sanitizing their filters.

Sawyer's customer service is top-notch.
I had a questions about the proper way to backflush and clean the filter for storage since it wouldn't be used again for almost 6 months.
The cust svc rep spent a good ten minutes on the phone with me and said if I had any other issues to call back. He was very knowledgeable about the product and that means a lot to me.
As I said earlier we filtered water for 4 days for a group of 21 men who were going through 3-4 liters of water/day. I have no doubt we could have stayed out an other 4 days and been fine.
Gravity feed is the way to go!

Last edited by WFR; 12/15/12.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been using the base camp for 5 years and I think its time for a filter change, but it been flawless up to now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Diyelker
Maybe I should try another filter in ours. It came with two. We tried them both, and they both produced funny tastes. I love it otherwise. It's easy. I don't know what I'm tasting out of it?

When I bought my ProHiker, the instructions said to pump a couple of liters of water through before using to, in essence, "flush" the system.(my words) I remember the first liters were somewhat "foamy". Perhaps a new filter has a taste until a few liters have been through it to flush out the manufacturing taste.

If you're getting funny tastes after having run it awhile, don't know what would cause that

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by snubbie
Originally Posted by Diyelker
Maybe I should try another filter in ours. It came with two. We tried them both, and they both produced funny tastes. I love it otherwise. It's easy. I don't know what I'm tasting out of it?

When I bought my ProHiker, the instructions said to pump a couple of liters of water through before using to, in essence, "flush" the system.(my words) I remember the first liters were somewhat "foamy". Perhaps a new filter has a taste until a few liters have been through it to flush out the manufacturing taste.

If you're getting funny tastes after having run it awhile, don't know what would cause that

Yeah, I don't know either snub. It seems to get worse the more I run it, which is the opposite of what i would think it should do. Dunno, maybe I'm just being a wuss. One buddy says he can't taste a thing wrong with it, but 2 or three others of us taste it. I like that thing, but I think I'll have to try a sawyer.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used mine a good little bit with no problems,only complaint is,it's a little slower than i'd like...

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 257 mag, 219DW, 18 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,727
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.