Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ringworm
Lets see...
350,000,000 fireams divided by 5000 employees of the ATF.
Uh my calculator says there aint enough hours in the day to get it done by the end of the century...SOOOOOOOO... Im gonna say NOPE!

State and local PD's could surely be tasked with the job, and perhaps even a million newly hired TSA-style agents.

I am not saying its going to happen, but there are ways that would break the backs of all but the staunchest hold-outs. And they'd be on the news as right wing kooks.

Again, not agreeing with it, but its not like the media would raise a stink.

Its doable.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think we are closer to confiscation, that at any time in our history.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no and they'll never use your SSN as an identification tool

nor monitor the transfer of cash

nor read your emails

nor spend us into oblivion

you boys have a lot more faith in what this gov't will do and won't do than I do

yep that's right, there's a load of doo-doo when it comes to what our gov't will and won't do

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

State and local PD's could surely be tasked with the job, and perhaps even a million newly hired TSA-style agents.

Every state and local Police Officer I know is a registered republican and a NRA member. Its not going to be that easy and the antis know it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yep that's right, there's a load of doo-doo when it comes to what our gov't will and won't do
-----------------------------------------
And then there's the point that it ceases being my government.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here's my opinion..

First, after they pass SOME SORT of assault weapons ban [they have before, and they will again,] if not this time, eventually.. but I am going to say that this most recent tragedy involving 20 little ones is going to be the straw that broke the camels back.

Once the bill is enacted.. you will have so long to voluntarily hand them over to the nice BATFE agent seated at every county courthouse, or some such.. "and we will grant you amnesty and give you a $50 Wal-Mart gift card!!!" ..exactly what happened in Australia and the UK.

Take that what? 80 million gun owners, and lets say that one third own an assault rifle or high capacity pistol magazines for conversation sake.. though that seems a bit high.

Of those 26 million assault weapon owners, or owners with high cap mags for their pistols, subtract twenty million who will hand them in no questions asked. Take the remaining 6 million, and once the arrests for possession begin to happen, you are going to been down to tens, or at best, several hundred thousand who say 'come take them!'

...and then they will 'come take them!"

A few new prisons will open to incarcerate the remainder of media hyped, villain-ized felon assault weapon owners and, no doubt, a few errant shoot outs with police killing the newly appointed felons that refuse to comply and wah-la! No more assault weapons.

It's pretty much that simple. The Brits and Aussies caved upon realizing that their lives and their family's lives could be ruined upon discovery of an item that you can't even use anymore without drawing attention to yourself.. as will most, if not all Americans.

We are powerless.. the stroke of a pen and bye-bye high capacity magazines and assault weapons.

..another stroke, bye-bye to the Remington Model 8 pappy gave you because it's semi-automatic.

..another stroke, bye-bye to ownership without some ridiculous fee or tax on either the guns or ammunition [think Class III items now..]

..another stroke.. the REAL question is, where will it end?

Thinking it won't happen, NOT HERE! This is America! ..or "those guys don't want to be voted out of office!" ..look at the unpopular stimulus, Obamacare, all of these incredulous EPA regulations, and so on.. PUBLIC OUTRAGE!!! We are going to vote them out!!! ...for a whole week. A couple episodes of Honey Boo Boo later, your favorite team wins the Super Bowl, or some catastrophe or natural disaster strikes, and 99.9999% of people either forget, or move on while grumbling about it.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, it's just reality. It's a matter of time, and I think our time is about up as gun owners.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More blood dancing.
The real problem here is mental illness. Loughner was a nut, Aurora was a nut, this Adam dude was a coconut. Most of these people are crazy.
Remember that America de-institutionalized hundreds of thousands in the 1970s. Most were not violent, at least not on meds. But a whole bunch of unintended consequences resulted.
The problem with mentally ill people goes right to the heart of our liberty. As John Adams said, the Constitution fails if Americans are not moral citizens with self-restraint.
Mentally-ill people don't have that self restraint, therefore they cannot be "moral" and fully cognizant of their responsibilities as citizens.
Then there is the larger issue of whether citizens truly understand their responsibilities. We aren't teaching Americanism in school, the moral side of liberty. The religious institutions that inculcate moral self restraint in people are playing less and less of a role in shaping citizens' outlooks and bolstering their moral strengths.
This is an incredibly complex concept for people to grasp, and not enough "get it" any more. If we do not focus on the need for moral behavior from citizens in a free republic, including a recognition that certain forms of mental illness lead to amoral as well as immoral acts that put liberty itself at risk, then America itself, the very idea of self governance, is toast.
I am not quite ready to concede that.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
More blood dancing.
The real problem here is mental illness. Loughner was a nut, Aurora was a nut, this Adam dude was a coconut. Most of these people are crazy.
Remember that America de-institutionalized hundreds of thousands in the 1970s. Most were not violent, at least not on meds. But a whole bunch of unintended consequences resulted.
The problem with mentally ill people goes right to the heart of our liberty. As John Adams said, the Constitution fails if Americans are not moral citizens with self-restraint.
Mentally-ill people don't have that self restraint, therefore they cannot be "moral" and fully cognizant of their responsibilities as citizens.
Then there is the larger issue of whether citizens truly understand their responsibilities. We aren't teaching Americanism in school, the moral side of liberty. The religious institutions that inculcate moral self restraint in people are playing less and less of a role in shaping citizens' outlooks and bolstering their moral strengths.
This is an incredibly complex concept for people to grasp, and not enough "get it" any more. If we do not focus on the need for moral behavior from citizens in a free republic, including a recognition that certain forms of mental illness lead to amoral as well as immoral acts that put liberty itself at risk, then America itself, the very idea of self governance, is toast.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with your entire post.. very well written sir.

Mental illness is, along with just about everything else, a sensitive topic these days. Prior to deinstitutionalization, as you pointed out, anyone having a mental illness that could not be relied upon to regulate their own behavior was simply locked away. Whether or not that was appropriate, well, books have been written on the subject, but one comment you made really touched home.

Most were not violent, at least not on meds.

Most mentally ill people who commit crime HAVE been, either through a doctor or the courts, deemed mentally deficient.. and the �fix� is medication. Property medicated, they are productive members of society, and generally, good, well meaning people. The problem is, there is no way to �force� them to take their meds, and many people just stop, either because they can no longer afford them, or more frequently, they stop because they are feeling better, and believe that they no longer need them.
They commit a crime, occasionally, a heinous crime, and, quite frequently, because they HAVE been deemed mentally ill, they are excused from any punitive measures, remedicated, and released back into society where they reoffend; it�s cyclic.
Where I used to live, the neighbor across the street, a 50 some year old woman, who lived alone, and was SERIOUSLY schizophrenic, would about every six months, quit taking her meds because she felt fine. On her meds she was the quiet lady across the street who tended to her flowers and kept to herself. Off her meds, she was a menace to the neighborhood with untold amounts of damage was committed against her neighbors in the form of broken windows, keyed cars, killed pets, scared children, ect. Once she tried to run down some school children getting off of their school bus with her car. Aside from being locked up for a night or two before her sons bonded her out, and a circus hearing where she claimed mental illness and was slapped on the wrist or outright let go assuming she would receive medical care, she received nothing. NOTHING in the way of punishment or restitution for the victims was ever adjudicated.
For the neighborhood, there was, let�s face it, no recourse. So did she deserve to be free to live a �normal� lifestyle? What was the cost to other law abiding neighbors, children, ect.?
Calling her a nutjob, or demanding her incarceration at a facility [which is impossible, long term anyhow,] or FORCING drugs into her is illegal. Anyone preaching that route is deemed �heartless.�
As far as I know, the cycle continues with her. I�m sure she�s not the only one. Political correctness is killing this country.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree Jeff.
They would be just like a schmeiser machine gun an old German guy tried to give me that was hidden in his basement.
There will never be total confiscation of guns.
Maybe ammo taxed to death z
Was just sayin i am not worried about feeding my toys.
Good luck coming for mine. I won't make it, but i won't go alone.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I agree Jeff.
They would be just like a schmeiser machine gun an old German guy tried to give me that was hidden in his basement.
There will never be total confiscation of guns.
Maybe ammo taxed to death z
Was just sayin i am not worried about feeding my toys.
Good luck coming for mine. I won't make it, but i won't go alone.

I'm with you brother. I seriously think they may have a problem if that ever happened.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe we are a step closer to finding out the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment....

I will support and will defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;.... So help me God..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by boltman
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the cat is already out of the bag. Pandora's box opened long ago. There are probably better than 100 million firarms in America.
No freaking way they can be 'rounded up'.........

There are a lot more than 100 million firearms in this country. And of course, that decreases the feasibility of any confiscation plan. It decreases the feasibility of any plan given the large public outcry (and subsequent voting at the next election).

since they started counting (mid 50's) up till 2008 he count was somwhere in the neighborhood of 350,000,000.
As well there are 350,000,000 single family homes in the CONUS. And apartments and office buildings, storage buildings, wharehouses, ect ect ect.
There is NO WAY a force smaller than the chinese army could conduct a search. Not even if every man, woman and child were to stand in the yard with the doors open and offer ZERO resistance. Its not a realistic idea. Anyone who proposes it obviously needs a lesson in geography, math and history.

And whos going to be doing thier job while they are out going thugh peoples cubbards? Who is going to be watching the banks? Running radar to write tickets so that the state highways dont go broke?
While the cops are searching storage buildings who is going to answer the 911 calls? So while they are taking away peoples guns they are ot going to be enforcing any laws?
Really guys.
Heroin is illegal.
Cocaine is illegal.
The same dolts enforcing those laws are the dolts who would be trying to stop guns. And just like suburban grow houses sprang up the day the DEA started using choppers garage machine shops will spring up.
I assure you, that if an 11 year old arab boy in Peshwar can put an AK47 together in a tent, theres not going to be any shortage of NEW homemade firearms.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Maybe we are a step closer to finding out the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment....

I will support and will defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;.... So help me God..
Agreed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Support and defend the constitution??? .... Better get used to being branded as a violent, hateful, extremist, radical right wing nut case. I can forsee that crap coming down the pike already. That means that YOU will be DOMESTIC enemy. Because anyone who doesn't agree with the enlightened, elite, all-knowing, all-wise, oh-so-tolerent left automatically becomes the scum of the earth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Support and defend the constitution??? .... Better get used to being branded as a violent, hateful, extremist, radical right wing nut case. I can forsee that crap coming down the pike already. That means that YOU will be DOMESTIC enemy. Because anyone who doesn't agree with the enlightened, elite, all-knowing, all-wise, oh-so-tolerent left automatically becomes the scum of the earth.

Not a military man nor politician that has not taken that oath... Treason anyone?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More blood dancing.

This right here!! It's mental illness and for some reason the politicians do not want to touch it. they are still allowing it to run rampant. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope , if they do then i can build them and sell them on the Black Market

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (117LBS, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,787
Posts18,536,312
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.