Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I rarely start a new post (aside from the pick'em threads) and rarely partake in the political arguments. Given up on economics threads as ideology seems to trump numeric evidence. But I thought I'd do so at this time only because I haven't seen the points I want to make on any of the numerous threads.

The point it this: The 2nd Amendment won't save gun rights. Not this time.

Stubbornly hiding behind it and making the same arguments in the same way isn't going to work. Too many of these mass shooting of our most vulnerable have taken place. Most people don't give two [bleep] what the constitution says when they see pint sized body bags coming out of a kindergarten school. That is just the way it is. A man's primary function, the reason God and evolution has shaped us as we are and allowed the species to continue, is to provide, care for, and protect those around us. It is just that simple.

And in this society at this day and time we are being shown we cannot do so.

We have become a society that can grow emasculated males, unrepentant sociopaths, base men who live only to feed their lusts, and even monsters who strike out at those around them. We can grow those in droves. But men who believe mankind has a higher purpose? Men who have been instilled with what we used to term the cardinal virtues? Men who are fit to mentor and raise the next generation so that they are fit to receive the world? Seems to be a lost art.

My point is this: Of course mental illness is at the root of this shooting. We all know that. But where is the accommodation from us regarding mental illness?

Think about it. How many times have we tossed around our disdain for any government paid health care? How many employee based health plans substantially or even completely ignore mental illness? Who exactly is going to pay for getting these young men identified and out of circulation? Who among us will stand up and say that this is a prudent spending of resources? Who is going to go along with even the notion of placing young adults into custody when there is only a small but real risk that they will eventually go apeshit and murder those around them?

We had this discussion in the 80s and we decided that not only did we not wish to pay for the care and custody of mentally ill people any more than absolutely necessary but ALSO that we didn't even feel comfortable doing so. Are we ready to revisit that issue?

I bring this up not to inflame but just to offer a few questions. We talk about violent video games and a septic culture while dismissing the availability of some types of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into one of dozens. The other side dismisses the risk of having a septic culture and hours on end blasting away realistic men on the computer while talking about the availability of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into something much worse.

There is going to have to be something more than "the second amendment says so and so" this time. Might be a good time to take a look at ourselves and see what this should be.

IMvHO,
Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, is this about the imminent attack on the 2nd Amendment or about Government's responsibility in the care and treatment of the mentally ill?

The 2nd Amendment will be attacked, and unless vigorous and vocally defended our Rights will be eroded. The gun grabbers are very opportunistic and never waste a tragedy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Penguin
I rarely start a new post (aside from the pick'em threads) and rarely partake in the political arguments. Given up on economics threads as ideology seems to trump numeric evidence. But I thought I'd do so at this time only because I haven't seen the points I want to make on any of the numerous threads.

Stubbornly hiding behind it and making the same arguments in the same way isn't going to work. Too many of these mass shooting of our most vulnerable have taken place. Most people don't give two [bleep] what the constitution says when they see pint sized body bags coming out of a kindergarten school. That is just the way it is. A man's primary function, the reason God and evolution has shaped us as we are and allowed the species to continue, is to provide, care for, and protect those around us. It is just that simple.

We have become a society that can grow emasculated males, unrepentant sociopaths, base men who live only to feed their lusts, and even monsters who strike out at those around them. We can grow those in droves. But men who believe mankind has a higher purpose? Men who have been instilled with what we used to term the cardinal virtues? Men who are fit to mentor and raise the next generation so that they are fit to receive the world? Seems to be a lost art.

My point is this: Of course mental illness is at the root of this shooting. We all know that. But where is the accommodation from us regarding mental illness?

Think about it. How many times have we tossed around our disdain for any government paid health care? How many employee based health plans substantially or even completely ignore mental illness? Who exactly is going to pay for getting these young men identified and out of circulation? Who among us will stand up and say that this is a prudent spending of resources? Who is going to go along with even the notion of placing young adults into custody when there is only a small but real risk that they will eventually go apeshit and murder those around them?

We had this discussion in the 80s and we decided that not only did we not wish to pay for the care and custody of mentally ill people any more than absolutely necessary but ALSO that we didn't even feel comfortable doing so. Are we ready to revisit that issue?

I bring this up not to inflame but just to offer a few questions. We talk about violent video games and a septic culture while dismissing the availability of some types of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into one of dozens. The other side dismisses the risk of having a septic culture and hours on end blasting away realistic men on the computer while talking about the availability of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into something much worse.

There is going to have to be something more than "the second amendment says so and so" this time. Might be a good time to take a look at ourselves and see what this should be.

IMvHO,
Will

Or maybe you simply accept it as a part of living life. Nothing is guaranteed. There is no way to perfectly protect anyone from everything.

I am greatly horrified and saddened by the event, but they have these in controlled China etc... also. Where there is govt oversight and control much more so than here, both mental and firearms.

It simply is one of the things that happens in life.

I've often looked at these horrible events and wondered... how many kids are killed in car/bus wrecks on the way to school and back. Yet no one says much about this.

This is simply an airplane crash. Because so many loose their lives at once it pulls on some strings.

Guess how you prevent airplane crashes. You don't fly. Guess how you prevent school shootings. YOu have no school. Guess how you prevent auto deaths. You prohibit driving.

None of those will ever happen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is about this: Posturing and making repeated defenses of the 2nd Amendment in the same ways will not work this time.

I mentioned mental illness because I have seen that very issue brought up as the root cause of the shooting. And for my money that is probably a hell of a lot closer than most guesses. But we have a problem in that the overwhelming majority of the cross section of this site (and I'm guessing of the ardent gun owners in general) have shown an outspoken and even militant disdain for government mandated health care.

Any and all government mandated health care. And let's face it, to tackle the issue of mental illness and protecting society from them we are talking about government intervention and government taking custody in many cases of the mentally ill. You have the costs of filtering them out of the populace. You have the costs of providing food and care for them. You have the costs of psychological evaluation and psychiatric care for them.

And our employee based health care does not cover this in many cases. And the mentally ill aren't going to disappear when mom or dad lose their job.

Food for thought.

Will

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMvHO,
Will

In my opinion, it's actually too late. A LOT of what anti's want to take away from us was already guaranteed to us by Heller. There are lots of questions still up in the air, and high capacity magazines and semi-auto battle rifles are a couple of them. But to really strip us down to no guns they are going to have to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

The question in my mind now is how much damage can Obama do bypassing Congress.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not meaning to be flippant rost495, but this is exactly the kind of argument I was speaking to. It isn't going to work this time.

Why is flying in a plane, riding in a car, being killed by a meteor or any of these other things different? Why do they not apply in the slightest?

Because all of those other deaths are ones that take place as accidents while going about the business of partaking in modern life. You have to fly, drive, and walk around in this world to make a living.

The is nothing accidental about a 20 year old breaking into a grade school and shooting up a classroom of 8 year olds. There is nothing inherently mandatory about having to take the risk of outwitting a crazed gunman in your local grade school.

These are exactly the arguments I say will not work this time. Telling society at large that they just have to put up with this kind of psychotic behavior is probably counterproductive. It is going to incense a whole lot of neutral voters.

Will

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
IMvHO,
Will

In my opinion, it's actually too late. A LOT of what anti's want to take away from us was already guaranteed to us by Heller. There are lots of questions still up in the air, and high capacity magazines and semi-auto battle rifles are a couple of them. But to really strip us down to no guns they are going to have to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

The question in my mind now is how much damage can Obama do bypassing Congress.

I do believe that a whole lot of what we consider gun rights have been saved for a good long while. A whole lot of what we consider gun rights is not. The right to self protection and whatnot is probably safe. As is the right to manually operated hunting weapons. Everything else? Wouldn't bet on it.

And I maintain that this is a game changer. The Supreme Court is as much of a political animal as anything else. One only has to look at any one of a truckload of their early decisions on anything from labor rights to slavery to a hundred other issues to see that they morph as public opinion moves.

Will

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn TWO hot issues linked together in the same OP. You are gonna have some folks here drinking early today.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LMAO!

What a girl!

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IMvHO,
Will

This is the most rational and reasonable assessment of where we are now and where we need to go that I've seen anywhere in forums, personal discussions, and most assuredly in the MSM.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
this whole talke of rounding up and sorting out the insane scares the bejesus out of me.

the USSR would routinely drag in a member of the loyal opposition on trumped up charge. they'd subject him to a panel of gov't paid mental health people. they'd rule him insane, even criminally so. they'd summarily asign him to the Glulag in Siberia, for rehabilitation, treatment and the good of Society. if he died from overwork, cold and malnutrition in a few years, well the State was only doing it's job.

same with China with the re-indoctrination of some of the urban elites. they'd be sent to the rural collectives to starve or be re-indoctrinated, whichever came first.

the problem or challenge with the mental health solution is there might not be a perfectly healthy one anywhere on the internet. ya know?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
From what I understand this nut job didn't even use the AR-15 in the shooting correct ? If so, then why the [bleep] is this being trumpeted as evidence we need another AW ban ? None of this should be up to question anyway. The 2A is CLEAR in it's wording/intent to anyone but a double talking lawyer/politician or an imbecile. Freedom isn't free and sometimes the price is to be paid in blood. If anyone doesn't like it, they should get the [bleep] out of the USA and go live somewhere with stricter Gov. control where they can feel safe.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Who exactly is going to pay for getting these young men identified and out of circulation? Who among us will stand up and say that this is a prudent spending of resources? Who is going to go along with even the notion of placing young adults into custody when there is only a small but real risk that they will eventually go apeshit and murder those around them?

I am, and I'm ready to pay for the civil commitment of the dangerously mentally ill before they kill, even if it means lifetime confinement for some.

Deinstitutionalization, that 50-year-old experiment in social welfare, cost-cutting and European guilt, needs to be tossed for good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Penguin, I really agree with you. What you wrote is thoughtful and (I'm afraid) true.

I was horrified to see that my beloved Glock and Sig Sauer are being classified as "semi automatic weapons." Simply because they hold magazines???

It is very difficult to explain to someone why I love my guns, when they can't imagine why in the world I would even want to be in the same room as a gun. And they can't imagine any use for a gun other than to kill someone.

I won't go on because I will begin sounding like I need to go be fitted for a tinfoil hat.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I've often looked at these horrible events and wondered... how many kids are killed in car/bus wrecks on the way to school and back. Yet no one says much about this.

There were more than 1 million children aborted in 2011. Such mass murder is more than horrific, yet no one says much about that, either.

Until we begin to value human life, things are going to continue to happen.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Instead of being reactive and defensive. Lets go on offence. First offer solutions, here are some of mine:

1) Install hardened doors/locks on all schools with magnetic locks.
2) Since there are so many people afraid to carry, have all teachers wear a belt or small fanny pack at all times with a taser and pepperspray.
3) Have off duty police or retired police or paid security personell stationed at every school. (they have air mashalls on EVERY plane).
4) have CC permitted teachers actually carry in the schools. They have to have the gun ON them at all times and can't lock it in a desk or put it somewhere where a kid could get to it.

To pay for this offer to have a 1% national sales tax on all guns and ammo.

Other questionable options would be to have the school board, a psychiatrist, or a counselor notify the sheriff once a questionable kid reaches 18. Put his name on a no gun buy list. To get it off, he would have to have a psychiatrist recommend removing his name. Schizophrenia, bi-polar, and borderline personality disorders don't show up until late teens or early 20's when these type crimes are committed.

Try to stop bullying in school. Give smart kids just as much praise and reward as an athletic person.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gus
this whole talke of rounding up and sorting out the insane scares the bejesus out of me.

the USSR would routinely drag in a member of the loyal opposition on trumped up charge. they'd subject him to a panel of gov't paid mental health people. they'd rule him insane, even criminally so. they'd summarily asign him to the Glulag in Siberia, for rehabilitation, treatment and the good of Society. if he died from overwork, cold and malnutrition in a few years, well the State was only doing it's job.

same with China with the re-indoctrination of some of the urban elites. they'd be sent to the rural collectives to starve or be re-indoctrinated, whichever came first.

the problem or challenge with the mental health solution is there might not be a perfectly healthy one anywhere on the internet. ya know?

What do YOU have to worry about? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stan V
LMAO!

What a girl!
I have to agree. Full-fledged pusssy. The 2nd Amendment is recognition of a right extant in nature to defend oneself with a tool which is efficient at doing so. Saying shixt like this is nothing but defeatism and treason to our side, our way of life and the United States as set up by those who came before us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Originally Posted by rost495

There were more than 1 million children aborted in 2011. Such mass murder is more than horrific, yet no one says much about that, either.

Until we begin to value human life, things are going to continue to happen.

Penny

Which horrifies you the most?

Your guns being thought of as evil, or millions of babies aborted?

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Instead of being reactive and defensive. Lets go on offence. First offer solutions, here are some of mine:

1) Install hardened doors/locks on all schools with magnetic locks.
2) Since there are so many people afraid to carry, have all teachers wear a belt or small fanny pack at all times with a taser and pepperspray.
3) Have off duty police or retired police or paid security personell stationed at every school. (they have air mashalls on EVERY plane).
4) have CC permitted teachers actually carry in the schools. They have to have the gun ON them at all times and can't lock it in a desk or put it somewhere where a kid could get to it.

To pay for this offer to have a 1% national sales tax on all guns and ammo.

Other questionable options would be to have the school board, a psychiatrist, or a counselor notify the sheriff once a questionable kid reaches 18. Put his name on a no gun buy list. To get it off, he would have to have a psychiatrist recommend removing his name. Schizophrenia, bi-polar, and borderline personality disorders don't show up until late teens or early 20's when these type crimes are committed.

Try to stop bullying in school. Give smart kids just as much praise and reward as an athletic person.
[bleep] that. Appeasement. Always appeasement. Some of y'all will never learn. I'm glad all the pusssies self-identify.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 27 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.