Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penguin
It is my opinion that we are reaching the point where society at large is going to force us to separate these maniacs from weapons a lot better than we have been able to accomplish thus far.

And that, my friends, is the problem. Instead of focusing on actually protecting the children in question, we focus on restricting the freedom of everyone.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Why not tell us what P meant when he said the 2A won't save us now?

No need for that. I'll do it myself.

What I meant is this: The constitution is interpreted by the Supreme Court. And this entity has shown itself to be a very political animal. There have been decisions handed down from this august body that would make your head spin in terms of what the constitution says and how they interpret it. They have also made politically expedient decisions that would make your skin crawl in their callous disregard for human decency and dignity.

Depending on what the 2nd says or how this particular group of justices interpret it is fool's gold.

In the long run the SC will go toward what the majority of the citizenry believes, or at least what they will tolerate. The witch's cocktail of psychotic individuals having access to lethal weapons has shown itself to be one with catastrophic consequences. It is my opinion that we are reaching the point where society at large is going to force us to separate these maniacs from weapons a lot better than we have been able to accomplish thus far.

Will

No, the supreme court should uphold the constitution as written. That could certainly change with more O picks on the court, but it won't be due to what the founders wrote/thought. The kid that murdered these children was denied a rifle purchase the week before the shooting, then he took his mom's weapons. Just like any common thief/murderer does. More legislation changes none of this.

All American

All the time
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The point it this: The 2nd Amendment won't save gun rights. Not this time.
IMvHO,
Will

In my opinion, it's actually too late. A LOT of what anti's want to take away from us was already guaranteed to us by Heller.

I do believe that a whole lot of what we consider gun rights have been saved for a good long while. A whole lot of what we consider gun rights is not. The right to self protection and whatnot is probably safe. As is the right to manually operated hunting weapons. Everything else? Wouldn't bet on it.
Will

Umm... Heller specifically protects our right to semi-auto handguns based on the fact that it's the most commonly used and purchased firearm for self protection.

You need to read up on Heller and McDonald before out and out panicking.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think there is more than a mental health issue, it is also a cultural issue. E.G. Switzerland requires, or at least required, all males between the ages of 18 and 50 to keep assault rifles and ammo in their homes and use them monthly. You rarely hear about a shooting of any kind in Switzerland. If the easy availability of assault-type weapons caused crime, Switzerland would be the crime capital of the world.

Conversely, Mexico has strict gun-control laws but everybody here knows of the carnage in that country.

It's not only mental issues that cause these types of things, there are also cultural/economic issues.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many of these mass shooting of our most vulnerable have taken place.
Will

Actually, the rate of mass murders/shootings has not significantly changed in the last 100 years. In fact, the 80s and 90s had slightly more than the 2000s.

Just sayin. The argument is not about facts. It's about BS reasons to control a populace. One significant way is to disarm them. Nothing more, nothing less. Economics is the other major way. And you know how that's going.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mass murders have been around a lot longer than health insurance....

Your point?? I guess it's to tolerate mass murder, because it's been here so long.

Let's focus on stopping the nuts and keep them out of schools.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get him started on global warming if you want to see panic.

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Seriously, can't you just trade your membership here in for one on the Dem Underground or someplace else you'll be happier? I mean, I for one am sick and tired of you showing up once in awhile and pontificating from on high about healthcare, taxes, and now this. If you want to surrender your guns, just go do it, but leave the rest of us alone.

You have no idea what Penguin said. You have no real ideas period, just an obsessive/compulsive need to rant ignorance.

He didn't once say he was retreating. He was offering another tactic that is far more realistic, under the present circumstances. You...YOU are the best example of what the MSM targets so successfully in their propaganda campaigns.

I'm willing to fight and die for my 2A rights, but it doesn't mean I'll do it dumb.
I don't recall ever having disrespected you on here.

I started to dissect his whole op for you, but I'm simply not going to. I've heard all this before. It's accepting responsibility for something you didn't do. We gun owners did not do this. A disturbed individual, evidently did. We are always told on here not to rush to judgement. There will be no trial here and only investigations to punish the tertiary and assign blame.

Connecticut ties with Maryland as having the 7th most strict gun laws in the nation. That figure comes straight from the Brady Campaign. The suspect purportedly broke a litany of gun laws already. More won't help. Less might, actually.

All of this stuff has been discussed before. I could go into great detail about the mental illness aspects of this and if you want me to, PM me. Will knows nothing about it. He wants to take responsibility for crap that he didn't do and he wants us all to join in. Count me out.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Your point?? I guess it's to tolerate mass murder, because it's been here so long.

How do you do that?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'm thinking you may know less than Penguin even.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Scott F
The school on CT was locked and the shooter had to break in.

My understanding is many places have school entrances that resemble a TSA station at an airport.

I've never seen a school with those features, so they must be isolated. That being said...when seconds count, cops are only minutes away. A lot of banks even have an armed guard, guess money is more important than 6 year olds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, I guess we could stop all murders. What? Pass a law?

All American

All the time
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, the supreme court should uphold the constitution as written. That could certainly change with more O picks on the court, but it won't be due to what the founders wrote/thought....

Should. A big word in this case.

Should the SC have engaged in decades of fence straddling on the issue of slavery? Should this group have overturned child labor laws based on a company owner's right to employ who he chose and engage in contract with whomever he wished? Have you read some of the skin crawling decisions the SC has handed down over the years?

Do you really want to have a discussion on what the Supreme Court should do?

I am merely giving one man's opinion on the landscape as I see it now. Should has nothing to do with it.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
Facts ...

1) The Connecticut shooting is a game changer.

2) The antis will seek a solution and the second won't prevent this from happening.

The only question is how much the game changes.
Wrong. It already would have blown over if it weren't for the MSM harping on it. Remembering the poor fallen little ones isn't the same as keeping it right in front of everybody encouraging another shooting. The solution is easy, let the teachers CCW.

Stay strong and stand together. Don't let defeatists like Penguin get into your head. Seriously. Some of us have been through this before and you know what? Things are a lot more pro gun now than they were when the last AWB was enacted. Do not let the weak minded guide you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, since you gals are more and more involved in politics I guess the end is near.

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, the supreme court should uphold the constitution as written. That could certainly change with more O picks on the court, but it won't be due to what the founders wrote/thought....

Should. A big word in this case.

Should the SC have engaged in decades of fence straddling on the issue of slavery? Should this group have overturned child labor laws based on a company owner's right to employ who he chose and engage in contract with whomever he wished? Have you read some of the skin crawling decisions the SC has handed down over the years?

Do you really want to have a discussion on what the Supreme Court should do?

I am merely giving one man's opinion on the landscape as I see it now. Should has nothing to do with it.

Will
Thanks for finally self-identifying. I've actually agreed with you on some things in the past. On this, you're flat-out wrong and for some reason, others are listening to you. Seriously, just go turn your guns in at some police station or something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EE

I agree with some of what you just said. My only real disagreement is with the notion we aren't responsible for what happened. We as a nation of individuals united become responsible for many things. My guns and yours most assuredly aren't responsible for anything evil.

If I got a bit pizzy in my response to you I apologize. I tend to do that a bit. blush

We all now need to shed old slogans and re-group. Shouting at each other (I'm just as guilty) isn't going to save our rights. Finding a new tactic that is more PC and socially acceptable that shoves our argument in the other side's face intelligently and puts them on the defensive with media acumen is something we need to do. Change the argument from guns to sanity and insanity.

Sorry for getting all nutted up. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The discussion of creating laws to protect us is ludicrous at best. If laws worked that way, I wouldn't have a job as an LEO. Laws work to keep mostly honest folk more honest and punish the dishonest ones you catch. That's it.

More gun control laws will not work to keep anyone safe. As prohibition did not work to keep anyone sober. People will do what people will do.

Compromising on your rights for this reason is selling out your own integrity for essentially nothing. Good luck with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rarely start a new post (aside from the pick'em threads) and rarely partake in the political arguments. Given up on economics threads as ideology seems to trump numeric evidence. But I thought I'd do so at this time only because I haven't seen the points I want to make on any of the numerous threads.

The point it this: The 2nd Amendment won't save gun rights. Not this time.

Stubbornly hiding behind it and making the same arguments in the same way isn't going to work. Too many of these mass shooting of our most vulnerable have taken place. Most people don't give two [bleep] what the constitution says when they see pint sized body bags coming out of a kindergarten school. That is just the way it is. A man's primary function, the reason God and evolution has shaped us as we are and allowed the species to continue, is to provide, care for, and protect those around us. It is just that simple.

And in this society at this day and time we are being shown we cannot do so.

We have become a society that can grow emasculated males, unrepentant sociopaths, base men who live only to feed their lusts, and even monsters who strike out at those around them. We can grow those in droves. But men who believe mankind has a higher purpose? Men who have been instilled with what we used to term the cardinal virtues? Men who are fit to mentor and raise the next generation so that they are fit to receive the world? Seems to be a lost art.

My point is this: Of course mental illness is at the root of this shooting. We all know that. But where is the accommodation from us regarding mental illness?

Think about it. How many times have we tossed around our disdain for any government paid health care? How many employee based health plans substantially or even completely ignore mental illness? Who exactly is going to pay for getting these young men identified and out of circulation? Who among us will stand up and say that this is a prudent spending of resources? Who is going to go along with even the notion of placing young adults into custody when there is only a small but real risk that they will eventually go apeshit and murder those around them?

We had this discussion in the 80s and we decided that not only did we not wish to pay for the care and custody of mentally ill people any more than absolutely necessary but ALSO that we didn't even feel comfortable doing so. Are we ready to revisit that issue?

I bring this up not to inflame but just to offer a few questions. We talk about violent video games and a septic culture while dismissing the availability of some types of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into one of dozens. The other side dismisses the risk of having a septic culture and hours on end blasting away realistic men on the computer while talking about the availability of weapons that can turn a 3 person shooting into something much worse.

There is going to have to be something more than "the second amendment says so and so" this time. Might be a good time to take a look at ourselves and see what this should be.

IMvHO,
Will

And so your solution for addressing all the above nasty types is to take away the rights of the remaining 99.999% of law abiding, rational, kind & loving individuals who happen to like & own guns & never cause any kind of issue at all?

Hmmmmmmm.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But we have a problem in that the overwhelming majority of the cross section of this site (and I'm guessing of the ardent gun owners in general) have shown an outspoken and even militant disdain for government mandated health care.

I am one of those that you are talking about. I have no reason to believe that the government will do any more to fix health care than they have fixed anything else. In most case the government is the problem, not the solution. I have seen and heard a lot in the last two or three day about how hard it is to get mentally ill people any help, mostly because the government has decreed that the mentally ill have a right to be mentally ill. You can't force them to take the medicine that will help them. You seem to have a lot more trust in the workings of the government than I do. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 874 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,109
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.