Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I work in the Arctic usually from early Jan. till spring. I'll take ambient temps over windchill temps anytime. The most valuable piece of clothing I have is a good face mask.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't use an "electric dipstick". Ever.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just remember, on most days, it's not nearly as bad as described here. Even the locals won't be out and about when it's really nasty.

Carhartts with an insulative vest underneath will work great for nearly everything that you'll be doing. Be sure to drink a lot of hot liquids to stay well hydrated.

Going to church on the weekends would be a lot more fun, informative, and experiental than getting drunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
1st winter in Forks ambient got to -42F and my truck wouldn't start. Had to remove the battery and put it up in my dorm room for a few hrs, then it fired up just fine.

At that temp you've lost something like 80 percent of your battery cranking capacity. If you have a power source it's easier to put it on a charger for maybe 20 minutes to warm the battery internally. My vehicles have battery warmers in addition to a tank or block heater but that's slow. If I forget to plug in it's faster to use a charger or jump from the boat battery that I keep near the garage door.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Made it up here. I appreciate all of the advise.

I found a wizard and asked him if he can remove a curse I had been living with for the last 20 years. The Wizard says, "What were the exact words that were used to put the curse on you." I say without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good to hear, like someone else said the winter weather isnt horrible all the time but it can turn bad in a matter of hours so its best just to be prepared and keep an eye on the weather forecast....we have to sit down with new employees that come in from other states every winter, and most of them think we are full of chit till the first bad day....

Last edited by rattler; 12/18/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, believe those weather warnings, they ain't kidding. Usually it's due to a surge of Arctic air, very predictable and there's nothing on the plains to alter its progress. Even this far east if they say a blizzard will hit at a specific time they're right +- 30 minutes at worst.

Up on the coteau (glacial hills) six miles west of here there's one of those "hysterical markers" on the highway. Two young men, brothers, were returning home from college and were let off at the highway with less than a mile to walk to the farmhouse as a blizzard moved in. In spite of having been born and raised there and having a driveway to follow they didn't make it, their frozen bodies were found after the blizzard lifted.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to live in Wyo at 7200 feet. The others are right about the weather. Keep a down sleeping bag in your truck with other stuff in case you get stuck.

I worked in mining towns in Nevada for years. Use caution because all the good hustlers in the US are in NoDak right now. Lots of prostitution and drugs and people that want to help you spend your money. Those are your greatest dangers. If you can, make the money and go back to your regular life.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.