Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bobcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The old adage is true; you get what you pay for in sport optics. I had the opportunity to test the new Nikon Monarch 7 ATB 10x42 binoculars this season. Nikon Monarch ATB�s have been the best selling binoculars in their price range for many years now. I have used the original Nikon Monarch ATB�s for many years and also have a pair of the Nikon Monarch 3 ATB�s. The original Monarch ATB�s sold for $250 and the Monarch 3�s sell for $200. The Monarch 7�s sell for $500. The �7�s� are Nikon�s mid-priced binoculars.

The first thing I did was compare all three from my deck out here in the country in south Texas. The Monarch 7�s are noticeably clearer, have better and easier focus, especially at the closer distances (they have a close focus of 8 feet). The �7�s� are also slightly more compact than my original ATB�s and ATB 3�s. I am able to wear them comfortably with a bino harness all day long in the field.

The �7�s� feature the Nikon ED glass (Extra-low Dispersion glass) with a dielectric high-reflective multilayer prism coating and phase-correction-coated roof which give truer color and better light transmission. That is a mouth full! They also have phase corrected coated roof prisms for higher resolution. The �7�s� feature Nikon�s easy to use �turn and slide� rubber coated eyecups with multi-click adjustments, which make it very easy for folks like me with glasses. The body is rubberized and has the flip down lens caps. The field of view at 1000 yards is a generous 351 feet (versus 314 yards on the original ATB�s and 291 yards on the �3�s�). They are completely water and fog proof too.

I have used the Monarch 7�s this year so far on a black bear hunt along with many hog and predator hunts. They are crystal clear, easy to handle and focus, and work great with my glasses. They are a big step up from the original Monarch ATB�s, which you would expect with the higher cost. As much as I like my original Monarch ATB�s, these new Monarch 7�s really are worth the extra investment. They will stand up to binoculars costing up to twice as much. I just wish I didn�t have to send them back to Nikon!!

Here are the technical specifications:

Nikon Monarch 7 Specifications
� FinishBlack
� Focusing SystemCF
� Magnification x10
� Objective Diameter (mm)42
� Angular Field of View (Real)6.7
� Angular Field of View (Apparent)60.7
� FOV @ 1000 yds (ft)351.0
� Close Focus Distance (ft)8.1
� Exit Pupil (mm)4.2
� Relative Brightness17.6
� Eye Relief (mm)16.4
� Size (L&W - inches)5.5 x 5.1
� Weight (oz)23.6

Here are the three Monarch ATB�s side by side.
L to R: Original Monarch ATB, Monarch 3, Monarch 7

[Linked Image]

The Monarch 7�s in the field.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for all the work you put into this report.

I have been wondering about replacing my old Minox "truck" binoculars with a pair of Monarch 7 8x42's. These sound about right--very good optics at a price where one isn't just killed the next time a thief breaks in.

I'm gonna check 'em out further after your recommendation.

Bobcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They fit in very well as a "step up" from the $200-$300 glass for folks that aren't ready to go to the $1,000 class.

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for taking time to post your findings. I ordered some Nikon 7X35 ATB's the other day. I am looking forward to comparing it with my Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED PRIME GLASS 8x42. Should be here in a couple weeks.

The old adage is true; you get what you pay for in sport optics.

They will stand up to binoculars costing up to twice as much.

I often say the adage isn't true. I maintain we get what we shop for. But which is it?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Bobcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Both......

True only up to a point. I agree!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great review thanks. I have no idea how they got all the extra view view out of them. I used them a few months back and was amazed. Optics can't be beat for that price.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the review. I own a pair of the original ATBs and a pair of decent similarly priced Bushnells. These might be worth the upgrade sometime down the road.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.