Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Guns in the classroom ain' not gonna happen. Crazy talk.

I'm not sure if I agree that this is the game-changer that Will is projecting it as. The timing of it, with the holidays, is an interesting angle. There'll be lots of debate about this in kitchens and dens in the next couple weeks. The politicians will be watching closely, but I can't see enough of a groundswell forming over this to (putting it in practical terms) convince the Republican House to pass any significant legislation. There's no elections near.... much of the passion of this will dissipate over the holidays... there's no election near, and most importantly, there's no election near. So I predict smoke but no fire.

But, where I do agree with Will is that if we as gun owners were smart, we'd be actively looking for ways to hang onto our fundamental right, while reducing gun violence. One obvious one is finding palatable ways to get our guns stored more securely. I seriously doubt that the Newton shooter cut into his mom's gun safe with a torch....... just sayin'.....

In the end, as I have reiterated before, we need to start the discussion in a direction of things that actually have a chance to working. Not misdirection. Not trying to deflect. Honest debate about what actually stands a chance of working.

We are trying to have a conversation but the adults are hampered by the constant yammering of the scared little girls like yourself, hysterically quoting failed anti-gun arguments and trying to spook the herd. More guns, as Prof. Kleck so eruditely illustrated, are the answer, not less. More folks armed and ready to meet evil. Your disdain for "Grandmas" is lame, Sport. I'm thinking there are a lot of Grandma's in Kansas that could kick your asss from here to whatever liberal enclave you are from.

Limits on mag size and pistol grips and all this other stuff won't touch the problem. Won't even slow it down.

Proper storage for semi-autos (just like some other countries that we seem to point to as bastions of gun laws) is something I don't know that I could argue with. Wouldn't even argue against it in general. Finding ways to eliminate the killings where someone who has been eliminated from legally purchase but the info has not been passed on/processed? Needs to never happen. We live in a huge, complicated society with a gorilla-like government that gets ever more powerful due to you and others like you enabling it. Once again, arrogance. I do see you are modifying your position from what you initially alluded to at the very least. Serpentine but smart.

But in the end, again and again, we are presented with a rampage where the gunman was out of his mind. And in many of these cases the guy had already been identified as a risk but for whatever reason he never ends up institutionalized and getting the care he needs. In other cases people around them were scared of them but just never felt they had reason to bring them to the attention of authorities. This is where we need to start the discussion.

Some members have taken extreme offense at the thought of taking a more aggressive stance toward mental illness. I don't care. When I made this post I knew ahead of time I was going to lose some friends, I was going to alienate some who I just got along with, and would endure the ire of some I've never spoken with. Again, this is the truth as I see it. It needed to be said and said out loud. And then defended.

It ain't about trading rights away and it ain't about waving the white flag. It is about taking a cold hard look at who is committing these rampages and figuring out how to keep them from getting their hands on weapons. And if that upsets you greatly? Too bad.
Will
Horse shixt. It's all about that and it always is with you guys. I have no problem with new folks bringing new ideas to the table about mental illness and ways to deal with it. The problem is your arrogance and assumption that you even have any ideas. You want to jump in and tackle it at the uppermost levels with in all probability no experience or education on the subject. Again, where are your qualifications to speak on this subject? You have at least one guy on here, Barry, whom IIRC has experience as a Masters level Psychologist treating cases like this. All you are doing despite your claims to the contrary is encouraging defeatism.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Since the death of her former client, she has taken a more proactive stance on involuntary commitment. But, it almost takes an act of congress to commit someone against their will, mainly due to very liberal statutes protecting the individual's rights. They can be a walking timebomb that any layperson could diagnose as batshit crazy, but unless they exhibit violent behavior or commit a crime they cannot be touched. And then usually only for 48 hours of observation.

The other problem is that there are no longer enough facilities to handle those that need to be committed.
The whole answer to your first paragraph lies in the second.

[Linked Image]

One of the most famous treatment facilities in the United States. Gone and nearly forgotten.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 12/19/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advocating for involuntary commitment to a mental institution is a slippery slope, and it is a slope we are already on in most States.

In FACT, what we do is lock people away for what we THINK they are THINKING.

Other than conspiracy statutes, our system is based on punishing ACTIONS, not thoughts.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Advocating for involuntary commitment to a mental institution is a slippery slope, and it is a slope we are already on in most States.

In FACT, what we do is lock people away for what we THINK they are THINKING.

Other than conspiracy statutes, our system is based on punishing ACTIONS, not thoughts.
You got it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

There are a couple points that we should look at. Is there some way that kids can be brought into custody and examined that can keep a lid on their ability to make a break for it?

Second...doing so after he snapped. We may never know which is was but can we agree that having these weapons available to a volatile young man who was unhinged enough to be up for institutionalization is a pretty severe case of ineptitude?

Will, I understand you're a smart guy. Probably smarter than me. But you are still looking at this emotionally (which is entirely understandable).

but there is NOTHING that can be done successfully to either one of your points.

ALL you can do is love your kids, try to teach them right from wrong, and take care of you, and those around you, to the best of your abilities.

sure, we can harden some school facilities, hire some resource officers, require some more training, storage requirments, limit mag capacities and ammo, even restrict what kind of guns you can buy. if that makes people feel better, fine.

but it will not change ANYTHING.

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 12/19/12.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO what is happening here is that doing what Penguin alludes to is allowing the other side to control the conversation about this whole thing. In the first place, there needs to be some admission that there is such a thing as evil. Most of the treatments and the practitioners thereof that Penguin and others think should be in control of who does and doesn't get to have a gun not to mention the freedom of those same folks, don't even believe evil exists. They may talk about "confronting one's demons" or "vanquishing evil" and other such things, but that's just speaking in terms they think the hicks understand. The sad fact is that most hardcore mental illness is treatable with three outcomes...the patient gets better, the patients worsens despite efforts or the patient stays the same.

During the Reagan era, scores of these folks were released. Read Red Dragon, for a great fictional account that delves into some of this. It and its sequal, The Silence of the Lambs, have been made into movies. Both entertaining and educational as to mental illness and evil.

We don't have money to rebuild the whole system of crazy houses that once existed. We are on a fiscal cliff. We have to face facts and live within our means or we are no better than the liberals who spend money wholesale on welfare programs. The fact is that medication works as good as anything else and the whole thing isn't as bad as it seems. The body count rises when people don't have the means to defend themselves and the crazies know it.

Start from the point that evil exists and we have to combat it. Guns do NOT belong on the table other than ways to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. The conversation should not be dictated by anti-gunners who are either emotionally unable (unstable) to make decisions based on facts, such as the fact that the last AWB was an abject failure in stopping significant amounts of crime and the fact that arming people has significantly reduced it. Thus, the securement of guns is almost a tertiary issue to the subject where it is being touted as a primary.

You are on the right track Curdog. And I expect the Grandma you're married to can shoot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

sure, we can harden some school facilities, hire some resource officers, require some more training, storage requirments, limit mag capacities and ammo, even restrict what kind of guns you can buy. if that makes people feel better, fine.

but it will not change ANYTHING.

Yes it will change EVERYTHING. Our rights will continue to erode and we will have lost the ability to get them back. We'll inch closer and closer to 1984.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

There are a couple points that we should look at. Is there some way that kids can be brought into custody and examined that can keep a lid on their ability to make a break for it?

Second...doing so after he snapped. We may never know which is was but can we agree that having these weapons available to a volatile young man who was unhinged enough to be up for institutionalization is a pretty severe case of ineptitude?

Will, I understand you're a smart guy. Probably smarter than me.

If you think P is smarter than you, then you're not as smart as I think.

Why do y'all keep saying P is smart?

LMAO! There's not a bigger girl on the 'fire.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
He's a wannabe intellectual; product of a failing school system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will, you used a lot of different "names" for these shooters.

This latest was an "agent of the devil".Call him by his right name and you will see the futility of preventive measures.All we can do is take measures to limit the damage one of them can do.

A person who doesn't believe in a powerful EVIL influence commonly called Satan, is forever going to be frustrated in dealing with his actions.

No offense toward Will, E.E., but the "elites" among us are willing to explore all options,put everything on the table,.........................

Except for this.

This wasn't considered worthy of a response.

IC B3

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

This latest was an "agent of the devil".Call him by his right name and you will see the futility of preventive measures.All we can do is take measures to limit the damage one of them can do.

A person who doesn't believe in a powerful EVIL influence commonly called Satan, is forever going to be frustrated in dealing with his actions.

No offense toward Will, E.E., but the "elites" among us are willing to explore all options,put everything on the table,.........................

Except for this.

Sorry curdog but there isn't much I can say about it. Although I have always believed in God and pray for guidance and thanks occasionally, I do not believe in satan, the devil, Luicifer, or whathaveyou.

No common ground for a discussion. I don't dismiss your theory out of hand it just isn't something I wanted to veer off into. I'm more concerned with what we can do that what a demon I don't believe in is responsible for.

No offense meant.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Stan V

Why do y'all keep saying P is smart?

well, it's easier for ones argument to be given weight if it isn't delivered on the point of a spear.

i have a hard time living by that sometimes tho!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How can you believe in God but not Satan? Goes hand in hand....

Apparently, very selective in your theological studies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We just will disagree amiably, then.You have a good day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mentally ill have been granted rights so that there isn't abuse and you can't just call the Psych Cops and have somebody committed. Held for observation for a limited period of time, yes, but having them institutionalized requires court intervention.

The Aurora and Connecticut shootings are both situations where a previously identified mentally unstable person committed mass murder and therein lies the problem. Although, in each case both young men were deeply withdrawn and more than likely didn't voice their intentions.

The current rumor is that Lanza snapped but I believe he planned it and kept his plans secret. There's enough evidence so far to suggest that. He had a vest of some type with enough magazines to contain hundreds of rounds and it's highly unlikely that mom would have had purchased those things.

Could either shooting have been prevented? Maybe in Holme's case but in Lanza's case ... I don't think so.

I believe there are flaws in our current mental health system but how you go about making changes or what changes are possible to prevent mass murder is beyond me. This is something that health care professionals need to address. Not the govt, not the left, not the NRA but experts that can make sound recommendations regarding new protocols or changes to our current laws.

When the rights of the few exceed the risk of harm to the public at large I believe there is room for change however there's no way to prevent these types of killings. Reduce the number ... possibly ... stop it entirely ... no.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Except for this.

Sorry curdog but there isn't much I can say about it. Although I have always believed in God and pray for guidance and thanks occasionally, I do not believe in satan, the devil, Luicifer, or whathaveyou.

No common ground for a discussion. I don't dismiss your theory out of hand it just isn't something I wanted to veer off into. I'm more concerned with what we can do that what a demon I don't believe in is responsible for.

No offense meant.

Will
ROFLOL! Will didn't even need to codify his "beliefs" since they almost always come in a package. TF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
The mentally ill have been granted rights so that there isn't abuse and you can't just call the Psych Cops and have somebody committed. Held for observation for a limited period of time, yes, but having them institutionalized requires court intervention.

The Aurora and Connecticut shootings are both situations where a previously identified mentally unstable person committed mass murder and therein lies the problem. Although, in each case both young men were deeply withdrawn and more than likely didn't voice their intentions.

The current rumor is that Lanza snapped but I believe he planned it and kept his plans secret. There's enough evidence so far to suggest that. He had a vest of some type with enough magazines to contain hundreds of rounds and it's highly unlikely that mom would have had purchased those things.

Could either shooting have been prevented? Maybe in Holme's case but in Lanza's case ... I don't think so.

I believe there are flaws in our current mental health system but how you go about making changes or what changes are possible to prevent mass murder is beyond me. This is something that health care professionals need to address. Not the govt, not the left, not the NRA but experts that can make sound recommendations regarding new protocols or changes to our current laws.

When the rights of the few exceed the risk of harm to the public at large I believe there is room for change however there's no way to prevent these types of killings. Reduce the number ... possibly ... stop it entirely ... no.
Thank you for stating the obvious. I mean no offense by saying that either. It should have been obvious from the get-go. Thank you for laying it out in plain terms.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Penguin---I hesitate to post this because I know it will bring down a ration on me, but what the hell that won't be anything new.

You and I have been on opposite sides of some issues but not on this. You have well and eloquently framed the problem and I agree with most of what you say.

This is not the time for "Cold, dead hands" rhetoric, no, it is a time to hunker down and take a few punches. It is a time to beat an orderly retreat so that we only lose this battle and not the war. We need a reasoned response from reasonable gun owners, not shouts from our Lunatic Fringe.

It is a certainty that there will be new gun restrictions. Our strategy must be to make sure those restrictions are as innocuous as possible.

I think it is a dead cinch that high capacity mags will be the first casualty. If we could get away with only that I would consider it a major victory. However it will probably go further. How much further depends on the eloquence and political clout of the NRA and other responsible gun owner groups.

It will not go well if our Lunatic Fringe is given voice in the MSN as it certainly will be.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by NeBassman

I am open to suggestions that don't involve any outright bans which is what the other side is currently pushing for. What suggestion do you have for preventing another Sandy Hook tragedy from ever happening again?

Tax credit for 90% of the cost of a gunsafe up to a value of $1500. Might have stopped Sandy hook, even if it doesn't it would likely save dozens of kids lives every year.

I like it. smile

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees

I am open to suggestions that don't involve any outright bans which is what the other side is currently pushing for. What suggestion do you have for preventing another Sandy Hook tragedy from ever happening again?

Tax credit for 90% of the cost of a gunsafe up to a value of $1500. Might have stopped Sandy hook, even if it doesn't it would likely save dozens of kids lives every year.

I like it. smile

At first glance I like that idea but what if ...

It was tied to a law that required all firearms to be stored in a safe?

No pistols in the nightstand, no shotguns under the bed and if you used one in defense of your life or property that wasn't stored in a safe you'd be in violation of the "law".

Don't take offense. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 27 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.