Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used my R in the Rocky Mountains and it felt downright svelte compared to my 9.5 pound B-78 Browning that I previously hunted with.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mad_dog
An EG and an R are less than a pound difference, is it really that major those few extra ounces?

Hey Maddog.........
" is it really that major those few extra ounces?" One man`s few extra ounces is another man`s ton. Get my drift? It was just a figure of speech but I guess you missed that part.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Truthfully, I don't really pack in real far on any of my deer hunting excursions. Usually a mile or less from the truck and I tend to do most of my hunting from tree stands, a rifle could be very heavy and not really handicap me.

My .308 I shot my buck with a few weeks ago isn't a lightweight, but it carries nicely and is hefty enough to shoot well. Even my older EG in .300 points nicely and seems about the right length and weight. Gotta get that one out and hunt with it some. Maybe this extended season in January we have.

I like the 99 R and think I will have one in the not too distant future.

T
T
I am new here and this is my first post But I own a savage that I consider part of my family.Its very accurate and I fell is love with the trigger for me its all about that final touch before the stick goes bomb.savage99m 300sav.Dont know when It was made dont care to know must be old the inside rodary is brass.hope to shoot her today.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I gather from a couple guys now, DL's weren't a very common rifle chambered in 300 Sav, never knew that before.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
T
T
In light of new gun laws coming soon Ive decided to put my 15 shot 9mm away and use my savage 99 in 300 for home protection.The 15 shot 9mm just holds to many rounds and after 5 or so the intruder may still live.How ever with the 300 one shot if very lucky might live with 2 not a chance.The 300 will as well leave plenty of evidence that the intruder was shot in the house.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just have to be sure what's behind the walls you're shooting at. Rifles have a tendency to shoot through people, drywall, siding, other houses...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only place I would have any interest in carrying a post war R is from the bed of my truck to a bench at the range or possibly using it in a "get your gun out of the window hunt".

Whenever I pick up a post war R the only thing I can compare that experience to, is what the bumper of a 57 Ford feels like in my hands.

I know they shoot, but there isn't anything interesting to me about any post war R Savage ever made.

Just me.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
henever I pick up a post war R the only thing I can compare that experience to, is what the bumper of a 57 Ford feels like in my hands.

OMG! I'm 60 years old, 5'6", weigh 220 and have arthritis, two bad knees, a bad hip and 30% of what my lung capacity should be if I hadn't smoked for 40 year. I still carry an "R" probably 100 or more miles each year in the north woods of Wisconsin. We're old school and still do drives. Got any idea of how far you walk and stumble when you push every other drive from dawn to dust? grin If you think an "R" is heavy try carrying a Remington 700. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well......Savage sold a bunch of R's....so somebody liked them. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, I'll take all those nasty, heavy, old R's. I might even be looking for another 250 bout Christmas time. Want one in better condition than the one I turned into my pig hunter, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you guys want R's and can't find em, just take them EG mater stakes and strap some extra 2x4's on and you'll think you was packin an R.

LOL
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You betcha! A "R" weighs 4 ounces more than an "EG". I can't believe there is so many who whine over 1/4 pound.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
F is the way to go. Until ya can afford an ULA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why would I want to screw around with a ULA when I can hunt with the perfect classic rifle? Is there a chance that you're ever going to say anything positive about anything? Just asking.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I will say one thing, I bought a 30/30 fruitwood H with a carbine butt, the 20 inch barrel is as thick as oil field pipe. I do not have to worry about putting sling studs on her. I aint gonna carry that thing much past the mule.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I aint gonna carry that thing much past the mule.

Perfect! Did I mention that Savage made a featherweight. R's are for bench shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah,well, I was gonna say something but I probably shouldn't given my present state. Hope you sell a bunch of trees this fall. Probably shouldn't even have punched the button. grin Take care and enjoy what you have until the government that you seem to support comes to take them away. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
henever I pick up a post war R the only thing I can compare that experience to, is what the bumper of a 57 Ford feels like in my hands.

OMG! grin If you think an "R" is heavy try carrying a Remington 700. wink grin

Or ANY muzzleloader. And I got NINE years on you.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 257Bob, 260Remguy, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,528
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.