Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When you can walk into a local pharmacy and pick up a box of .600+ BC .277 pills..... then we'll talk about equal footing..... until then, specialty bullets in a caliber are a lame argument. Don't use 'normal hunting range' blah, blah as a cop-out answer..... when the question was clearly one of extended range bullets.

Let's also keep in mind.... that for every new 'high BC' bullet that comes out for the .270..... there's a better one in 7mm. Berger is talking close to .800 on the new 195 7mm hybrid..... put that in your .270 pipe and smoke it.

The .270 clearly kills quite well..... but it is hamstrung by it's history and twist rates..... same as my beloved .25s. Take your .270 AB load... which is about as good as it gets for the Winny..... and compare it to a 162/.625/3k..... now we have a field noticeable difference. And, that's kind of the point... to get a .270 set-up for LR shooting, I have to buy: a special twisted pipe and shoot special ($$$$) projectiles. Or, I could just go with the one already set-up with a proper twist and 5-7 different .600ish BC pills sitting on the shelf.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

I think the entire anti-.270 CF trend began, and continues just to get a rise out of you. Apparently it's working wink grin

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rather than re-hab a 7mm, when my 270 can't handle the job I just grab the 300 RUM.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

The .270 clearly kills quite well.

All I really care about.... wink

The rest is .....gack. smile

Jordan: You got it backwards....I have more 7mm experience than many swoon at the mention of the caliber....who's baiting who? wink smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They all kill well Bob..... why hamstring yourself?

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gack short for 'mental masturbation' - lol.

THEY ALL Kill, and well, when driven right - thru vitals wink

Learn the gun/load/scope clicks, and carry a sharp knife.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
They all kill well Bob..... why hamstring yourself?

dogshooter:Well, I really don't... smile Building a Mashburn was an outgrowth of hunting and shooting with a variety of 7mm's(both magnum and standard cases) for about 40 years.It was not on a whim but based on a deisre to sort of optimize what the bore can do with the heavier bullets in a "mountain weight" package,for me...IIRC I got my first 7 Rem Mag in the 70's;my first 280 at about the same time frame.I cannot recall a time period since in which I have had no 7 mags at all,and they have come west with me as often as the 270...Even then I recognized the advantages and have likely killed as much game with 7mm and 300 mags combined,as with a 270.

But I admit that the majority of my biggest bucks have been killed with a 270.It has just worked out that way.

So, I am fully aware of the advantages.But you have to remember where I live, and the shooting opportunities here are limited to 600 yards and on our range maybe 2 minutes of wind correction(I'm lucky to have that).I won't try a shot on game under conditions that I have not previously practiced extensively here...too much can go wrong,and I have walked away from shots on animals rather than risk something outside my comfort zone.

Plus I am also an eastern hunter,as well as a western hunter,accustomed to short range,heavy cover hunting.Under most conditions a shorter, lighter,and handier 270 suits my purposes better than a longer barreled somewhat heavier rifle....yet a 270 does not leave me strapped on the odd shot at 400-500 yards or so...it has come through for me.

Plus, for me it isn't all about the mechanics....I staunchly defend the 270 because I cut my teeth hunting BG with it,killed my first western animals with one,and have carried one extensively and it has helped me take many animals I wanted rather badly.There's a strong emotional attachment and a faith in its' ability to deliver based on lots of past experience with it that keep me attached to it(not that it needs too much defending because its' record on BG is extensive and well entrenched).Hunting with big 7's satisfies the technical geek and rifle loonie in me,but I use the 270 likely for the same reasons a friend ressurected a 1957 Land Rover.....maybe the tacit admission that older, proven things are worthwhile,even if not cutting edge. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/23/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the 270 needs no improving. over 250 whitetails and a dozen bear or so have fallin to mine. way back when i only owned one centerfire rifle i was killing 300-400 groundhogs a year with my bdl 270 and 90-100-110gn bullets.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Affect and History are the only two legs the .270 has to stand on.... neither mean a lick to me......

If you killed your biggest buck with a .30WCF..... would you defend it as staunchly?

You also have to remember where I live, and that we all ain't Easter Block hunters. Where I'm at shots will also be accompanied by vast prairie winds..... it all adds up, I SEE it all the time.

Guys go all ape crazy and spend all kinds of dough wildcatting cartridges to get an additional 3-8% more velocity.... when you can walk in a pharmacy and buy 20-30% less drift.... at least you can as long as you don't shoot a .270 or a .25.

The .270 is what it is...... and it will always be, an excellent <300 yard big game round. Let it do that..... and you'll be fine.... try and turn it into a LR machine, and it will always suck hind tit to the 7s.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've a bit of experience with both the .270 and Big 7's and this is just me but here's how I see it. 4 what it's worth which isn't worth much I spect...grin

What I like about the Big 7's is when I'm shooting at game @ longer ranges (which for me longer ranges is (400-700) is that when games hit with the B7's at those ranges generally there's a noticable effect when the bullet hits. I really like to pound game and for me I've found that the B7's give the effect I wish for. Note I didn't say that they killed any better.

Out to 400 or so I don't see a diff be the game deer or lopes or elk between the rounds.

Out to 500 yds the wind drift game for me is close enough that I don't see a big diff. Whether a bullet drifts 10.8" @ 500 yds (B7 with a 168 Berg @ 3050) and or it drifts 13.9" (.270 w/150 Berg @ 2900). I can easily hold those two an make things happen @ 500 yds. Both those in a 10 mph wind.

Now to me when the ranges begin to extend beyond 500 that's when I like the B7's to handle the wind. The B7 load will drift 22.3" @ 700 yds and the .270 will drift 28.9" @ 700 yds. So for me it's a bit easier to hold the B7 into the wind but not that much easier. 4 me either way I still have to be able to read the wind, the adjustment be it 29" or 22" isn't that big of deal to me as either way I'm holding into it.

I used to do a ton load of shooting chucks and rocks at long ranges and to me the trigger time was more important and being able to read the conditions than what load I was using.

Not sure if that makes any sense but it does to me.

Given my druthers though I'd prefer my Mashburn to most all other rounds when it comes to going long. Though I've had a ton load of fun with my Zebra gun this last year (.260).

Merry Christmas all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Assuming Dober's figures are correct(I have no reason to doubt them),and considering that he is comparing typical 7RM velocities and typical 270 velocities,I wonder how closely the two bullets compare if we start the 7mm at 280 velocities?

I mean it seems somewhat unreasonable to compare the 270 Win against the 7 Rem Mag for obvious reasons....the 7RM is a larger case that simply goes faster....holds more powder.

It seems that if you fed that 168 Berger to a 280,lets say it did 2900 fps(pretty stiff load) vs 2900 for the 150 Berger in the 270Win.

My question is, if we are only talking a 3.1" wind advantage for a 7RM-168,what is the advantage for the same bullet from a 280 Rem with the same bullet? Got to be less...

Another way of saying this, is that the differences could easily be lost in the group sizes at 500,or 700 yards(?)

If this is so,where is the clear 7mm advantage among cases of more nearly equal capacity? I know we all deal with a lot of minutia in this game,and argue loud and long about incremental advantages,but it seems to me we are talking about pretty small differences.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, still awaiting pics of a 270 Mashburn....Tanner, anyone?

Merry Christmas all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did my part for the world of Mashburn. I'll let the newer and younger guard take over with the next roll. Oh Tanner... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Come on now Bob..... you're starting to sound like the AI guys...... less is not more....... less is not even equal..... in fact, less will always be less.

We should also consider that the 140 7mm Berg has nearly the same BC as the .270 150 Berg (.510 vs. .531)...... so, out of a .280 you'll be clocking 200+ more fps.... and giving up nearly nothing in BC. Or, we can look at the difference in down range clout between a 168/.610 and a 150/.531 launched at .270/.280 velocities respectively. Can't have your cake and eat it there too Bob. For every .270 answer..... there's a better one in 7mm.

Also..... it's pretty easy to sit around and look at tables..... or only shoot at the range in fair weather.... then claim that 20-30% reduction in drift doesn't mean anything. I know you're not a bench jockey Bob.... the field throws many a variable..... why not have the package that is more capable in more conditions?

IME, having shot quite a bit over the last year with a couple of .270 guys.... there is a noticeable drop off in 'field hitting schitt' with the .270 past 300 in windy conditions. But hey...... I've only watched about 250 rounds of .270 in the past 12 months..... all with the intent to stretch the round out to 1k.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK..... smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know you're not a bench jockey Bob.... the field throws many a variable..... why not have the package that is more capable in more conditions?

Why not have a 338 edge or a 50 cal. Since there is no question they are both a lot more. You got a [bleep] hair and you think it's a [bleep] mile. Who do you think your schitting dogschitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shod

Last edited by Shod; 12/23/12.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If Hornady only made a .277 A-Max...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love the 270 Win, also have a 270 Weatherby, these 150g long range Accubonds are going to be just the ticket for both of them.

Last edited by colorado; 12/23/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Shod
I know you're not a bench jockey Bob.... the field throws many a variable..... why not have the package that is more capable in more conditions?

Why not have a 338 edge or a 50 cal. Since there is no question they are both a lot more. You got a [bleep] hair and you think it's a [bleep] mile. Who do you think your schitting dogschitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shod

It's a lot more than your .280AI has over the standard .280 dumb azz...... look at the percentages. I know reading comprehension ain't your strong suit..... ponyboy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.