Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yesterday I was fighting through the 2 mile long "pick up yer gun here line" to get to the used gun rack for a look. I spotted a NH Mod 70 FW in .243 for a mere $329. I thought, man that is tempting. Had some rust, looked a tad abused, I moved on. In the bargain cave I spot a few stocks in some plastic bags. One of them is an H-S Precision stock, black with grey webbing for a Mod 70 RH S/A for $260. I don't need either, hell I am trying to sell a couple guns. But how could you go wrong with a rig like that for under $600?

Matt

HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I would think the action on the Featherweight would be worth the asking price of 329.00.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's rare, IME. Cabelas gun rack never seems to be a screaming deal. The bargain cave, sometimes...but the used gun rack seldom e shows a great promise.

But, with your situation, if I had the coin, I would do it. Like said above, the action is worth that price!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hard to pass up on that action for $330. One could likely recoup funds with a quick sale on the 'fire should buyers remorse set in

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen some weird stuff on that rack. They still have a Post 64 Mod 70 Manlicker in .270 for $700ish. Since Illinois is pretty much a Shotgun state, you see a lot of bolts just sitting and sitting.

I know the rust and the little abuse isn't really a big deal, I am trying to not buy every good deal I find. Lately I having been having issues with that smile

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My experience with the Cabela's store in Hamburg, PA has been just the opposite. The prices they ask for used guns are very high. Gander mountain is just as bad.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
I see deals at Cabelas but hearing of people waiting for 2+ hours for the paperwork is a little more then I can handle for any deal.

Rick
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good deal but I have never seen a place take so long to process paperwork. I was at the Cabelas in East Hartford, CT yesterday and there had to be 40 people waiting to get their paperwork done. They actually had folding chairs setup to sit and wait, I just don't get it. They also kept restocking shelves with ammo, purchases were limited to 10 boxes per customer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've found a few good deals on the used rack, but I've seen several hard to find guns at average-high prices. I wonder who is selling/trading these guns to Cabelas? Estates?

Picked up a "like new" .260 Ti a few weeks ago for $1049. It had been on the rack for 4 days.

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Damn you guys, I went back and snagged it. I thought it was stamped Featherweight, but it just has Winchester Mod 70 SA 243 on the barrel. The shank looks like a featherweight though, plastic stock, jeweled bolt, knurled handle?

So we are looking it over and I am haggling with the guy and I notice a bulge in the barrel. Very hard to see, but you can feel it. You can see it in the bore to, about 1/4" from the crown. The guy was shocked, called over another guy and was puzzled that they missed it. They weren't sure to sell or not and I said it's no big deal and I'd take it anyways. After a little more haggling I got the gun for cost...$215 grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you. Did you get the stock, too?

That will make a good project. Lots of used guns need to be re-crowned anyway. Merry Christmas.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Now you are cookin!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sweet!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What causes a bulge like that. I was looking over my brother's guns, he quit hunting about 10 years ago. Its a 30-06, M70 fw. Has a bulge at the end of the barrel, about 1/2 inch from end.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cabelas in WVA had a pair of Winchester M88s in 358 Win a few
years ago for $1800 each, if I remember correctly. They didnt
last long.

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by drahthaar
What causes a bulge like that. I was looking over my brother's guns, he quit hunting about 10 years ago. Its a 30-06, M70 fw. Has a bulge at the end of the barrel, about 1/2 inch from end.

Interesting, that's about where this one is give or take...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
I see deals at Cabelas but hearing of people waiting for 2+ hours for the paperwork is a little more then I can handle for any deal.
What you fellers don't realize is that since the shooting in Conn that most of the time when you call in a background check to the FBI you get an all circuits are busy and call back later. I tried all afternoon Thursday to get through and couldn't, so I waited and called early on Saturday and got through. One time when I called I got a message that said your wait time is approximately 15 minutes. I used to do my checks online but that seemed to take longer as you can usually zip right through on the phone. I looked yesterday and my wholesaler has no Glocks, no S&W revolvers, no AR15's of any kind, almost no 223 or 22LR ammo, no Ruger 22 auto's, and not very many firearms of any kind in stock. I traded in an SKS yesterday and may not put it on the rack as I had 2 people unhappy that I had it out.

W
W
I would be careful about purchasing a used gun at Cabela's, or any other retailer for that matter. Reason is, I met a gentleman today who purchased an M1 Garand from Cabela's a few months ago. Turns out the rifle was stolen and sold to Cabela's the same day. The rifle owner did not have the serial numbers right away so Cabela's waited their 8 days, put it on the shelf and then sold it. Original rifle owner turns in the serial numbers and now the new owner is in possession of a stolen rifle. Like any reasonable person he goes back to Cabela's to see if they will work with him. The Gun Library Manager tells him to pack sand. "We did our due diligence." While the manager is correct, the customer got screwed. Bad deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wolfchildsblues
I would be careful about purchasing a used gun at Cabela's, or any other retailer for that matter. Reason is, I met a gentleman today who purchased an M1 Garand from Cabela's a few months ago. Turns out the rifle was stolen and sold to Cabela's the same day. The rifle owner did not have the serial numbers right away so Cabela's waited their 8 days, put it on the shelf and then sold it. Original rifle owner turns in the serial numbers and now the new owner is in possession of a stolen rifle. Like any reasonable person he goes back to Cabela's to see if they will work with him. The Gun Library Manager tells him to pack sand. "We did our due diligence." While the manager is correct, the customer got screwed. Bad deal.
You really have no clue, do you? In the first place Cabelas would not have bought any firearm with the serial number removed. It is NOT provided by the seller. Most military arms have the number in multiple places. There is no such thing as an 8 day waiting period for numbers. How did anyone find out it was stolen? The only place the numbers are on is the Form 4473 and the only place that has that info is the dealer and he does not share, it is not provided to anyone. Now, you think you may have things a little mixed up? The manager would have had to provide the numbers to the police or FBI or ATF if asked for in an investigation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, there's a bunch of holes in wcb's story. Goes right along with the guy I met who told me that the 223 doesn't start to drop for 400 yards after being shot.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.