-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only reason I've gone to a gun show in about the last 10 years was to look/buy a new handgun. Normally the ones here will have nearly every model of new models in every finish etc...Easy to compare them all, and normally at or below anything you find at a retail store and don't have to pay the handgun shipping. Other than that it's been a waste of time.

Otto is my co-pilot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Occassionally we have a small gun show here, in Illinois of all places, where the tables are mainly rented by guys selling their personal collections. Those are fun to go to.

Same thing happens here in Iowa and Missouri when you stay away from the metro areas. I've got some fine deals on antiques, which I prefer, recently.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good guns are where you find them. Sometimes the shows - sometimes shops. It is the crowd rather than the prices that I find ammusing.

I could care less about an AR - probably spent too much time carrying them for real. But as a result, have always found the cammo'd up wannabe crowd patently ridiculous. Even saw a advert the other day that buying some AR or the other earned you a "man card". Right. The really ridiculous ones here in the commonwealth are our militia. They have a booth at all the gun shows and are really into the stern for away stare look - those who could see over their guts. Would love to have had one of those boys in the back end of a C-130 at o'dark thiry over Sicily DZ - or better yet - Panama.

They have invaded one of my favorite gunshops as well. Black BDU trousers, harness and para-boots (Doc Martins?), and all the earnest talk preparing for the pending end of times. As if anyone of them would last an hour against a regimental combat team from the 82d if it ever came down to it.

I am all for anyone buying an AR who wants one (as long as they are reasonably sane). But I am getting a little concerned about the belief in a fantasy world to which so many seem to believe a battle rifle provides some sort of access.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Occassionally we have a small gun show here, in Illinois of all places, where the tables are mainly rented by guys selling their personal collections. Those are fun to go to.

Same thing happens here in Iowa and Missouri when you stay away from the metro areas. I've got some fine deals on antiques, which I prefer, recently.
I was into antiques for a long time. The problem is what somebody already hinted at previously, the same guys with the same guns. I've seen some of the older guys drag around guns that they must've had for twenty years. It would be comical if a lot of these oldsters didn't have enough money to pretty much drive the marketplace. They'll just buy a gun and shop it around for years saying stuff like, "you can't ever pay too much for a gun, just too soon," and whatnot. Well some of them bought theirs damned early.

IMO, a lot of people on the outside of the aisles have done as much as Walmart and the government, to drive gunshop owners out of business. "I can get that same gun at the show in two weeks for a hundred less," and the like. I've been an FFL holder and a regular guy and I'm as much to blame as anybody, but the fact of the matter is that you can't run a gun business with a for real storefront at cost plus 10%.

The latest, greatest gunstore around here is run by a guy who actually has a fair-sized shop at his house. It's now in a building separate from his home and is pretty danged nice. The problem from the buyer's point of view, is that he won't keep any stock. At any given time he's got maybe two dozen guns. His thing is ordering you a gun. And he won't trade. His prices on an order are indeed, extremely low. And he provides a great service AND he is a great guy. In the end though, all he's doing is making money off the government's own penchant for laws and regulations. $20 a gun for an order. If he was in something other than an outbuilding in his yard, he couldn't make it.

The little shows are a crap shoot IMO. Some are great and some are a waste of time. The big shows have so much stuff that even in times like these, you can always find something to make you part with your dinero.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bbassi
I will say I'm slightly pissed about the current run on AR stuff. I've been haunting the AR15 classifieds for a used RRA middy barrel to come up for about a month and a half. I've missed 2 in that time period. Stuff usually doesn't last long there but recently it's been ridiculous. The prices are unbelievable too. BCGs are apparently in short supply, because they are selling in seconds for 3 times what I could but them for 2 months ago (and did).

Things like this do aggravate me to an extent. I bought a stash of lowers a while back just in case. Figuring I could buy the parts whenever.

Right now I"m on a deer hunting rifle build and I guess I"m glad I can scrounge parts off other guns to build this upper.

But then again I don't need this one, I simply want it. I can grab a BCG from another gun, strip an upper off a test bed upper and so on. Aggravating for sure, but at this point thats about all .gov is good for, to piss me off and aggravate me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Gun shows around here have been a joke for 20 years.. Crap offered at 'new' prices, and new items offered at MSRP+++

I gave up on 'em years ago..

I'll go if I need a laugh.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's really sad; back as far as the late 70's and early 80's, one could go to a gun show and it was FUN! A whole bunch of guns from a myriad of dealers, and almost all at rock-bottom prices. You could get great guns at prices you couldn't find anywhere else. Then the largest retailers began to set up 10 ~ 15 tables and charge MSRP on everything, and there were people walking around with an abortion of a rifle slung over their shoulder asking 2 ~ 3 times what it was really worth. Later in the gun show timeline you had to be exceedingly lucky to find a good deal on a firearm you wanted to buy. Gun shows have become commercialized; they're no fun to go to any longer.

I really appreciate the small town shows as well: Low or no admission fee, no parking fee and great deals!!! The big shows are bogus and expensive.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm guessing i could sell my AR'S , since i have 5 complete AR's which would be considered custom on the market and two new lowers which will be complete in a week and buy myself a new truck . Nah , will keep them , don't need another truck.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,069
Posts18,501,446
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.