Print Thread
Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Do I have to have my FFL guy ship it to a Gunsmith or is there another option besides the expensive 2nd day air?

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You can ship to a gunsmith yourself. FedEx isn't too bad. USPS is usually around $30 for a rifle/shotgun. I sent one from TX to PA for around $30. A pistol usually runs $20 express via FedEx, I sent one from TX to OK for that with $499 insurance. USPS is funny about pistols.

Last edited by Rev579; 12/24/12.

<�))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((�>

Romans 12:2
"Don't be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God's will is & what is good and pleasing and mature."(CEB)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
USPS you need ffl. You can take it to a gun shop and have them ship it and avoid the overnight cost for pistols. UPS and FedEX you can use without the FFL though, but after they log it in and it goes back to them from repair the transfer will probably have you over the cost anyway. And yes the gunsmith can send your weapon to you, but if it was on a shops log book it is supposed to go back there.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Suicycle
USPS you need ffl. You can take it to a gun shop and have them ship it and avoid the overnight cost for pistols. UPS and FedEX you can use without the FFL though, but after they log it in and it goes back to them from repair the transfer will probably have you over the cost anyway. And yes the gunsmith can send your weapon to you, but if it was on a shops log book it is supposed to go back there.

Are you sure? I use USPS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FFL to FFL is required if using USPS. If an FFL ships it to the FFL it may still go directly back to the owner, but not by USPS.

Otherwise it may be shipped by common carrier, UPS or FedEx usually. It is their rule that says 2nd Day only, not law.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by Suicycle

Are you sure? I use USPS.

I wouldn't get caught.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not sure about that. give me the regs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Butch
Do not ship handguns via USPS if you do not have an FFL... and you may not receive them either, guaranteed. Common carrier is the only legal way for a non-FFL to send or receive handguns.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Cancer Sucks
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If using USPS it has to go FFL to FFL. And they had to have filled out a Form 1508, bring that and a copy of their FFL to the Post Office so it's on file.

USPS regs here:

12.1.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1h.
b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.
c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
12.1.3 Authorized Persons
Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e.
12.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee
Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 12.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 12.1.3a through 12.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee�s official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.
b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.
c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.
d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 12.1.3c through 12.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
A federal firearms licensee manufacturer, dealer or importer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer, dealer or importer of firearms. The mailer must also state that the parcels containing handguns, or parts and components of handguns under 12.1.2d, are being mailed in customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of their knowledge the addressees are licensed manufacturers, dealers or importers of firearms.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use an FFL for handguns, since I also first stop by a US Post Office and pick up the right-sized Flat Rate Box (free) which fits the particular packed handgun I'm mailing.

USPS will charge the FFL $5.95 to $13.95, depending upon the size of the Flat Rate Box (weight limit 70lbs), to mail it anywhere.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.