Print Thread
Hop To
#7223205 12/24/12
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a pound of large scallops could some one tell me a quick and easy way to perpare some said to roll in bread crumbs and broil if so how long and what temp this is the frist time cooking them need help thank you

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heat olive oil to very hot in non-stick pan, pat dry scallops, season lightly with salt and ground pepper, then sear scallops on one side, then turn. Do not overcook. Make sure you have space in between scallops. This should only take a couple of minutes on each side.

Remove scallops to plate, add about 2 cups of good dry white wine, reduce, add 1/2 stick of butter and fresh squeezed lemon, whisk 'til smooth. Pour sauce over scallops..

Optional - you can serve scallops over a bed of greens, or angel hair pasta.

Important - do not overcook scallops. They should just be medium rare.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what rancho said [Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rancho's method makes a great finished product.

If you would rather bread then I would make a mixture of panko bread crumbs, parm cheese and butter. Toss the scallops in the mixture and then broil for about 4 - 6 minutes or until browned. Or you could bake for about 12-14 minutes at 325 or so and then broil for a minute or 2.

As already stated, overcooking is the biggest mistake made and will produce a rubbery end product.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Take a nice half a slice of thick bacon. Wrap each one and pin with a tooth pick. Broil or grill on med heat till the bacon is browned.
Trust me!
My pal works on a boat and I get a lot as pay for trades.

Pan fried in a skillet also is fine.
Butter and olive oil. Salt and Pepper at the start. Turn over once.
You are looking for just brown on each side.

Merry Christmass.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grill them. Breaded is gross!

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scallops can be eaten raw as well as cooked just like clams or oysters.

A lot of seasoning or that bacon flavor only if thats what you want to taste. Scallops have a very mild flavor.

Just wash them and warm them up with some butter in a pan.

Of course they also can be broiled, breaded etc.

My late dad would rent a rowboat and dredge them up from the shallow waters of Niantic Bay, CT.

He made a heavy duty basket on a long thick pole and the limit then was three bushel baskets full. I remember my late mother and him sitting on the wall at the house in New Britain shucking them. All was thrown out except that white muscle part.

[Linked Image]

"
Shellfish Re-emerge After Years Of Decline

November 04, 1994|By TOMMY HINE; Courant Outdoors Editor

NIANTIC � Jack Hamilton, Craig Stelling and Bill Barnard remember. So do Dave Stevens, Phil Bishop and Dave Porter.

The six men remember when, 20- 30 years ago, Niantic River bay scallops were so plentiful, a full bushel could be gathered in 30-40 minutes . . . when these sugar-sweet delicacies of the sea were featured every fall on restaurant menus in Chicago, San Francisco and New York."

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
there is a small set of Bay Scallops again this year near your old grounds. We had a little shot of them last year as well.
Very fun to scoop up dinner with a viewer and a dip net.
Back in the 90's we had a banner year and my then girl friend and I put up a couple of weeks worth in the freezer for the winter. We dined like royalty on those for special dinners.
She is now trying to figure out how we can make a meal out of the small batches to feed three kids!
We make up the difference with the sea scallops. Not a bad way to go.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rancho is on it. A really hot grill is good as well.

Simple seasoning, as said, like a little fresh ground pepper and good salt is perfect.

Ya don't need much oil either.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Aviator, 2500HD, Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,670
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.