Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I just bought one of the new Ruger American rifles. Mine is in .308 Win. I am impressed with the quality in relation to the price.

I tore it all down and looked it over. The trigger group looks good. As an FYI, the little sheet lever trigger safety thingy is different than an Accu-trigger. In the Accu-trigger the sheet metal part moves a safety catch out of the way. In the American trigger, the sheet metal part releases the trigger to move. I like it better than the Accu-trigger because with the Accu-trigger it is possible for the striker to go off the sear, be caught by the safety; you have to work the bolt to get it to fire. Not likely, but possible. Not possible with the American.

The stock isn't much to talk about, but for the price I can live with it. The new bedding system is a great idea!

The magazine is nice and looks like it will be smooth and quiet, good job Browning! (Look at an X-Bolt magazine if you don't know what I mean.)

The action is fairly smooth. There is an occational zipper sound, but I think that can be fixed easily.

There is machine marks in the action but again, for the price I won't complain too much.

Remington 700's used to be the cheapest gun I would own, but with their quality problems, I think the Ruger American will take the low cost option in my gun safe.

I have not liked the other inexpensive rifle options, they looked cheap with multi-piece bolts, molded in swivel studs, , fugly lines in the stocks, etc. This rifle looks like real rifle lovers put it together.

I think they have a good and simple design overall. I am looking forward to shooting it to see what it will do at the range. Hope the good weather holds....

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have not seen one in person, but I think I may buy a couple in the future just to add some chamberings I don't have.

Beyond the stock, how much plastic (Tikka "composite") is on them?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, the trigger guard is molded into the stock, the magazine and the bolt shroud is polymer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My younger brother finally wants to get into rifle shooting and hunting with me and we went to look at cheaper entry level rifles and looked at the Savage Axis, Tikka T3, and the Ruger American (the kid behind the counter trued to grab a Remington 770 and i nicely but firmly told him we dont need to see it lol) and out of the three he really liked the Ruger. I think it'll be a good choice for him. He's planning on getting one in 308 after he buys a decent safe for his two pistol's and shotgun. I told him he'd have plenty if money for the Ruger and a VX-2 if he sold me that nice S&W 57 6"stainless 41 mag he's got smile. He didn't think that was such a great idea. Nice classic wheelgun for a 21 year old twerp to have.

Cory

Last edited by dubya; 11/30/12.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought one in 308,topped it with a Meopta Meostar 3X9 X42.

Brewed up a medium load of 46 Varget,155 Scenars Federal BR primer.
First 3 shots right at an inch.

I like everything about it so far for a floorboard truck gun.

The recoil pad is excellent although the forend of the stock is a little flimsy.
On the bench you need to move your front rest back a little or the forearm will contact the barrel.

All in all a really good knock around all weather gun when the pretties need to stay in the safe.
Mike

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For about the same money I bought a wood blue model 70.( Oh yeah, that was 22 years ago). I have one in .243 that my daughter used to shoot her first deer. It is a sub moa shooter with 41 gr of h4350 and an 85 gr Barnes. The magazine works well and I agree with the xbolt comment as well. Is it my next extreme conditions rifle that needs to be fool proof. No but that's not why I bought it. It's a lot of gun for the money and is a lot more accurate out of the box then the afformentioned model 70 that went down the road. Good luck your .308.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My luck with used rifles hasn't been the best lately, that is one of the reasons I bought the Ruger. Remington has taken a downturn, I went through three 300 mags before I got a good one. Winchester I got a bad older one. It looks to be like the American will be a option for low dollars. I don't think it will replace my Kimbers, known Remingtons or Winchester, nor my custom Mauser, but I am hoping it will be a better option than a used SPS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let us know how she shoots when you get time to hit the range. Ill be going out to break in my new Montana 25-06 so i'd like to hear what ya think so my Bro can get a rifle and come shooting with me!

Last edited by dubya; 12/01/12.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I sighted in a Ruger American in .270 yesterday for a friend who bought the rifle for his son. With Winchester .270 130 power points the last group was just over an inch.

I think Ruger has a winner with this one for the price.

Doc

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Finally got to the range. Fusion 150 gr, 0.70" 3-shots. Federal 165 gr, 0.65" 3-shots. Hornady 155 TAP, 0.22" 3-shots. I have stuck out with hand loads so far, nothing of note but nothing real bad either.

One interesting thing, the point of impact does not change much.

When it warms up again I will play with it some more.

Aaron

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the update. Sound's like its a decent shooter!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
THESE GUNS ARE GREATNESS!!!! Everyone should buy one just to use on rainy hunting days. Best $300 ever spent on a rifle. ANF THEY SHOOOOOT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.