-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I decided to try to log on to the EZCheck the online 4473 and no joy. I can't even get to the login page. I tried to fax in a form for multiple handgun purchase today 4 times and got line busy each time. On that note, do any of you know that us ffl's have to fax in purchases of multiple handguns purchased by the same buyer in a 5 day span? Not only your name, address, ID number, and my ID, but the model, brand, caliber AND serial number of the handguns. The 5 day period DOES NOT include weekends or holidays either unless you are open these days. This means if you buy one today and I am not open for the next 5 days the 2nd day doesn't start till 6 days from today. Kind of an eye opener that most are not aware of. On single purchases the only person that has the info is the dealer and he doesn't have to give it up until he quits business or there is a request on a certain gun. This does NOT apply to rifles of any kind.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cliff, I believe they started reporting on sales of multiple semi-auto long guns in the southern border states.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must be a state thing then cause I would have heard if it was federal you would think, but then again, I am about as far from Arizona, NM, and Texas as you can get. We have a bunch of Hispanics here in town as we have 40% Hispanic in our schools. This in a Wi farm town of 2300. We do have a meat plant, though. Most of the parents are illegals but they are about the nicest bunch of people you could ever meet. They don't try to buy guns though as none are needed here except for hunting and most couldn't anyway. In my 60 years here the only time I remember one of our police firing his weapon was to dispatch a deer hit by a car. Got lotta rednecks though. Don't think the government better come for the guns. There is at least one gun in a lot of the vehicles around here. They ever did a guns per capita in this town it would probably be at least 10 per household. I know a couple fellers that have hundreds and I have seen these collections.

W
W
I did not mention or hint that there were no serial numbers on the gun. The gun owner did not have that information written down, hence the delay in reporting it to law enforcement. I will try to clarify. A guys son steals his guns when his father is out of town. Immediately takes said guns and sells one of them to cabela's. Cabela's runs the gun and it does not show stolen, yet. Cabela's buys the gun and holds it for 8 days before putting it out for sale and selling it. The original owner of the gun finally turns in all of his serial numbers and they are flagged as stolen. The thief attempts to go back to cabela's and sell another of the stolen guns and is refused this time due to it being stolen. The sale refusal is located as part of the ongoing investigation tying the son/thief to the crime. In this case, the regular guy got taken....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by drahthaar
What causes a bulge like that. I was looking over my brother's guns, he quit hunting about 10 years ago. Its a 30-06, M70 fw. Has a bulge at the end of the barrel, about 1/2 inch from end.

Usually shooting with some obstruction in the barrel. If it is right at the muzzle many times you can cut back the barrel and the rest is OK.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yeah, there's a bunch of holes in wcb's story. Goes right along with the guy I met who told me that the 223 doesn't start to drop for 400 yards after being shot.

TECHNICALLY it may not depending on the initial upward angle when fired ..... Its rate of climb will diminish ... but doesn't actually start dropping until the apex is reached.

smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Labman95
My experience with the Cabela's store in Hamburg, PA has been just the opposite. The prices they ask for used guns are very high. Gander mountain is just as bad.

Agreed. Their prices are very close to what you could buy a new gun for. And, after they sit on those racks for a few days, they're beat the hell out of.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yeah, there's a bunch of holes in wcb's story. Goes right along with the guy I met who told me that the 223 doesn't start to drop for 400 yards after being shot.

TECHNICALLY it may not depending on the initial upward angle when fired ..... Its rate of climb will diminish ... but doesn't actually start dropping until the apex is reached.

smile

TECHNICALLY, if trajectory is viewed from the centerline of the bore, a bullet never climbs.........in other words, a bullet does not "climb" above the line of the bore......gravity begins acting on it the instant it leaves the muzzle.......

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
potato potato smile

Its all based your reference point and in reality we all know (most of us who shoot beyond 100 yards ... which many do not) what is implied in regards to boolit drop

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
potato potato smile

Its all based your reference point and in reality we all know (most of us who shoot beyond 100 yards ... which many do not) what is implied in regards to boolit drop
Nope. Unless fired 100% vertical, a bullet drops from the centerline of the barrel immediately upon exiting the barrel. After all, you have to use a reference point of some kind and in this case the centerline of the barrel is the only possible one. If you could shoot perfectly horizontal and could drop a bullet from the same height at the same time that the bullet leaves the barrel, over perfectly flat ground, they will both hit the ground at the same time. The faster boolit just hits the ground farther away.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NOPE ... really??? That is particularly arrogant of you. That is the ONLY possible reference point? There aren't an infinite number points anywhere else that one can choose? I chose one that was not the bore's center-line. Perhaps I stood 400 yards away and watched the boolit apex above my head.

I understand you POV, I just do not agree with it.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You would be wrong. You set a boolit on a line of flight. It has no reference to the ground at all. If not fired 100 per cent vertically to gravitational pull, it is falling away from that line of flight IMMEDIATELY upon leaving the muzzle. Unless you have figured out a way to defy gravity, it is dropping away from the line of travel as soon as the force that started it upon it's way ends, which is upon leaving the rifle barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wolfchildsblues
I did not mention or hint that there were no serial numbers on the gun. The gun owner did not have that information written down, hence the delay in reporting it to law enforcement. I will try to clarify. A guys son steals his guns when his father is out of town. Immediately takes said guns and sells one of them to cabela's. Cabela's runs the gun and it does not show stolen, yet. Cabela's buys the gun and holds it for 8 days before putting it out for sale and selling it. The original owner of the gun finally turns in all of his serial numbers and they are flagged as stolen. The thief attempts to go back to cabela's and sell another of the stolen guns and is refused this time due to it being stolen. The sale refusal is located as part of the ongoing investigation tying the son/thief to the crime. In this case, the regular guy got taken....

More fleshed out.. except that FFL's cannot "run" gun numbers looking for stolen guns. Only law enforcement has access to that data, and I doubt Cabela's is providing all serial numbers, makes and models to the local law enforcement to run. Unless you live in Illinois, maybe. Pawn shops have to report that information, but no other FFL dealers have to. That's by federal legislation, and the intent is to protect us from federal agencies being able to build gun registration databases.

And unless there's a local city or state ordinance, there's also no requirement for a holding period.

And I can't imagine Cabela's wouldn't stand behind this if it happened in a timely manner, they stand to lose a lot more in PR for selling and stiffing somebody with a stolen gun than they do in profits.

How about the location of the store that was involved and the manager that was talked to?

But in the end.. it's a risk that all of us take any time we buy a used gun (or any other item) from ANY source. If that gun gets tracked down and is in your possession, you turn it over without recompense if it was stolen 20 hours ago or 20 years ago.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
That's rare, IME. Cabelas gun rack never seems to be a screaming deal. The bargain cave, sometimes...but the used gun rack seldom e shows a great promise.

But, with your situation, if I had the coin, I would do it. Like said above, the action is worth that price!

I've found a great deal on the used rack almost every time I've been there. I haven't b ought one every time but they're there for the pickin.

Camp is where you make it.
W
W
Sfld OR. It was the gun library manager, I don't have his name. I was as surprised as you are that they wouldn't stand behind their sale. Not a good long term venture. I should mention that I shop Cabela's regularly and will continue to do so. Since I learned this information I will choose to purchase new guns or guns I know the history of. As you said, its a risk we take buying from any source beyond retail.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.