Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys! I am going to look at a new BDL soon and make a decision.

Varmint guy: I just think the j lock looks like crap on the gun anywhere and as easy as it was to replace the bolt shroud I just got rid of the thing. No problems at all with 700s of any kind. Still have a youth adl in 243; thinking about a rebarrel on it.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Sixpack: Yes I was somewhat annoyed and perplexed by the "J" lock device when I first saw it and its hard to ignore - but I learned to almost completely do so.
Good to hear you have not had any problems with your 700's.
The 700's are a basic, simple, clever, strong, handsome and reliable design - OFTEN copied by all manner of custom gun/action makers!
Like I posted in a similar thread to yours I do not have any type of metal tester or metallurgic training but I do have a bore inspection tool and several trigger gauges and my close firend has a Hawkeye Bore Inspection optical tool and I am happy with current production Model 700's although some of their models are now way over-priced (IMO)!
Seems that the Remington bean counters have decided hmmm... folks are paying over $1,300.00 for Remington 700 "clone" Rifles why don't we expand our prices as well???
I paid $800.00 (IIRC) a few years ago (April of 2,007 now that I checked my loading log) for a Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball - that is the most I have ever paid for a non-40X Remington Rifle.
I love that Rifle and am happy with it in every regard except for that initial price that I had to pay, to get a 17 Remington Fireball Varminter back then.
I probably will not pay anything more than that in the foreseeable future for a Remington Rifle!
I am quite content with the moderate and lower priced bolt action Remington Rifles.
You touch on another subject where I have now decided not to partake of anymore and that is, re-barreling Rifles.
I have decided it is to expensive and I now would rather content myself with trading off guns I am not 100% happy with and simply buying one that I am interested in.
Don't let me talk you out of your re-barrel job though as you are quite likely to obtain better accuracy and ease of cleaning etc once you do so.
In fact I wish you best of luck if you decide to re-barrel that 243.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The j-loc has been gone for years. New Remingtons shoot great. They aren't that expensive.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by bushrat
If you were on here 10 years ago when you bought your j-lock remington you would have read all about how those remington 700's were such a piece of crap you wouldn't have bought it.
I was around then, too, dummy. The J-lock and whatever bonehead created it didn't have a damned thing to do with the end quality of the rifle. If you'd had your head out of your ass ten years ago -- or even now -- you'd understand that.

You be dummy, wasn't replying to you Bricktop, just clicked on the reply at the bottom of your post, happened to be the last post at the time,sure you'll get over it, hope you aint tramatized. I was making a sarcastic remark about the posters on here 10 years ago saying the j-lock remingtons of that era were crap. Aside form the j-lock they were fine. I own a few of those, own a few new ones, and own some real old 700's, nothing wrong with any of them, cept perhaps the newest generation x-mark poo trigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you were on here 10 years ago when you bought your j-lock remington you would have read all about how those remington 700's were such a piece of crap you wouldn't have bought it.
I was around then, too, dummy. The J-lock and whatever bonehead created it didn't have a damned thing to do with the end quality of the rifle. If you'd had your head out of your ass ten years ago -- or even now -- you'd understand that.
You be dummy, wasn't replying to you Bricktop, just clicked on the reply at the bottom of your post, happened to be the last post at the time,sure you'll get over it, hope you aint tramatized. I was making a sarcastic remark about the posters on here 10 years ago saying the j-lock remingtons of that era were crap. Aside form the j-lock they were fine. I own a few of those, own a few new ones, and own some real old 700's, nothing wrong with any of them, cept perhaps the newest generation x-mark poo trigger.
Then please accept my sincerest apologies.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Nobody -- and I mean NO-F*CKING-BODY -- has been able to provide any sort of statistical data, warranty return data or anything that would in any way prove that Remington quality has gone up or down in any given era or timeframe. It's always this anecdotal HORSESHIT of "I've seen," "I've heard," "In my opinion," or some other larded-up nonsense.

How this Brick, no [bleep] stats or hearsay bullschit, just what I and a world-class gunsmith friend of mine have seen, not with our own two eyes, but with our dominant eye through a [bleep] 10X loupe. Remington just shipped him a 308 with a 5R barrel. Great crown!. They ship him SPS's with a hog wallow for a crown. Point of fact is obviously the azzwipes at Big Green KNOW how to produce a proper crown, but don't always bother. One rifle he just recieved has a chamber so [bleep] you have to pound the bolt handle open to extract the fired case.

Remington 700's are excellent actions, once a competent gunsmith has unphucked them and installed a decent barrel and stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Nobody -- and I mean NO-F*CKING-BODY -- has been able to provide any sort of statistical data, warranty return data or anything that would in any way prove that Remington quality has gone up or down in any given era or timeframe. It's always this anecdotal HORSESHIT of "I've seen," "I've heard," "In my opinion," or some other larded-up nonsense.
How this Brick, no [bleep] stats or hearsay bullschit, just what I and a world-class gunsmith friend of mine have seen, not with our own two eyes, but with our dominant eye through a [bleep] 10X loupe. Remington just shipped him a 308 with a 5R barrel. Great crown!. They ship him SPS's with a hog wallow for a crown. Point of fact is obviously the azzwipes at Big Green KNOW how to produce a proper crown, but don't always bother. One rifle he just recieved has a chamber so [bleep] you have to pound the bolt handle open to extract the fired case.

Remington 700's are excellent actions, once a competent gunsmith has unphucked them and installed a decent barrel and stock.
Let me see if I can put it in a vernacular someone of your ilk can understand: How this, you no speaky no numbers, just mo' BULLSHIT. You savvy? No savvy?

Yours is just another of the same old horseshit stories that gets floated around by the same old dumb, f*cking, imbecilic [bleep] as always. There is nothing to indicate post-WWII Remington products have gotten better or worse or have certain "eras" of any specific quality to avoid or covet. I couldn't give a good God-damn how many of these little horseshit yarns you choose to spin or what sort of characters you choose to inject in order to give them any particular gravitas.

I know my dad bought a Model 760 in 1961 with an out-of-round chamber. What about that? Where in the hell was Remington's vaunted kick-ass quality then? I have an article from the Cast Bullet Journal from about 1996 of a late-'80s 700V in .308 with a screwed up throat. These examples are just more indication of the same alleged problems existing throughout Remington's production runs of ALL decades since WWII.

If you had a "blind shoot off" of various 700s selected from the various eras entire 700's production run, I doubt you or anyone else could pick out any anomalies or adverse patterns in accuracy. I'd bet good money on that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are too [bleep]' ignorant to
1) Identify what a proper crown looks like
2) Understand and relate its importance.

And you don't own a loupe, or have a clue how to use it. But you know good "stats" when yo'ignant azz sees 'em! Dumbazz.

Go [bleep] YO' SELF!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been a satisfied 700 owner since 1974. I think the new rifles are as good as ever. But the new Winchesters are a BETTER rifle. The Ruger Hawkeye is a better rifle as are several others. Remington is still stuck in the 1970's while every one else has advanced.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
You are too [bleep]' ignorant to
1) Identify what a proper crown looks like
2) Understand and relate its importance.

And you don't own a loupe, or have a clue how to use it. But you know good "stats" when yo'ignant azz sees 'em! Dumbazz.

Go [bleep] YO' SELF!
You're too f*cking dumb to understand two random rifles doesn't represent an accurate sampling, dumbf*ck.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a pair of 700 CDL's in .243. Win, left-handed. (2009) Neither one shot worth a schitt. Factory or hand loads. 1.75"-2.5" groups. Fit and function were perfect. That being said, every other 700 I've ever had shot great. Just picked up a '06 and 7RM in BDL's for my son... Both are late 60's I'm guessing, pretty nice. I love'em. But like anything else, rarely are things perfect everytime.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been a satisfied 700 owner since 1974. I think the new rifles are as good as ever. But the new Winchesters are a BETTER rifle. The Ruger Hawkeye is a better rifle as are several others. Remington is still stuck in the 1970's while every one else has advanced.

I wouldn't say the new SC or soon to be Portugese asssembled winchesters are 'better'. have had 3 new winchesters one 243 was ok, a 7-08 chambered off center to the bore, didn't have to make a chamber cast to tell, it was plain as day just looking with a hawkeye borescope, wouldnt shoot worth a hoot either. a 270 win that the front face of one bolt lug was hitting the cone breech of the barrel, had to file that down so you could close the bolt without using a snipe on it, didn't shoot so good either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just assigned a brand new 700 tactical and got to see 6 others in action. The finish is rough, but I think it's supposed to be that way. I'm perfectly happy with the new trigger and when I finally sat down with it at the bench (don't get to use it when qualifying so I didn't really see what it was capable of til later) it shot half inch groups with a random handload( 150 sierra pro hunter)after I had shot 100ish rounds through it without cleaning.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have always been a Remington guy, but I have got too many bad Remington's to remain one. My main complaint is the barrels, they have been hit and miss. My latest is a XCR and i checked the bore with a bore scope and it looked good. The bore is fine, but the galling on the locking lugs doesn't inspire my confidence in the brand.
For me, that makes three in a row that had quality issues, I am done with them.
Aaron

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AaroninMT
I have always been a Remington guy, but I have got too many bad Remington's to remain one. My main complaint is the barrels, they have been hit and miss. My latest is a XCR and i checked the bore with a bore scope and it looked good. The bore is fine, but the galling on the locking lugs doesn't inspire my confidence in the brand.
For me, that makes three in a row that had quality issues, I am done with them.
Aaron
And then you rode away on your sparkly unicorn and lived happily ever after. What a load of bullshit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 2 of 'em.

The one thing I hear/read all the time is that they're accurate...once you spend some more money on them to tune 'em up. I can attest to this.

My Sendero 300 WM, one of the first out, with probably less than 200 rounds through it had to have the headspace redone.

Recent 6 gun shoot out published by Shooting Times, the 700 BDL came last. Notably: the average trigger pull between the 3 sample rifles was 4 lbs 9 oz, with a variation of 16 oz...!

Frankly, if Remington is going to kick 'em out the door performing like that...new fangled trigger and all...I'm even less interested in another one of them.

Just sayin'...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a few "new" ones too. The new trigger sucks, but other than that I have no complaints. The 700 has out performed my expectations. I've always been a CRF fan, but I'm really liking my 700's now too.

Nice, accurate platform. Maybe the best...???? I still wouldn't bet against one from the bench.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my wifes 700 sps in the 308 tack driver with 150gr ttsx and rl15... Don't know about all this bore scopes and crowns and [bleep]... My bud worked on the trigger again great rifle! I had J llock in a 375 ultra mag great shooter... I also had a 74 production 700 bdl in a 7 mag that thing was a tack driver with 175gr factory ammo. I gave it to a friend who needed a good elk gun.

Last edited by 79S; 12/29/12.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Shutup Brickhead--all the swearing tells me you don't really know much--just cover it up with lots of mouth.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Shutup Brickhead--all the swearing tells me you don't really know much--just cover it up with lots of mouth.

Casey
If this same question was posed as "How are the new Winchester 70s?" or "How are the new Sako 85s?" or "How are the new Ruger 77s?" I would be willing to lay odds that the very same peckerwoods would be coming out of the shadows, posting the same old stupid, f*cking BULLSHIT about "they're not as good as they were ten years ago, blah, blah, blah, my mangina hurts," "my circle jerk friends all bought one and they had bad barrels, blah, blah, blah, my bunghole hurts," "I looked at one in a gun shop once and got all excited when the guy bent over in front of me, so I don't like them now."

Typical f*cking ignorant-ass BULLSHIT. And like all f*cking whiners, you f*cking bitches get all bent out of shape when someone calls your bluff.

I haven't seen a God-damned thing posted yet that would indicate that the Model 700s produced today are any better or worse than the ones produced ten years ago, twenty years ago, thirty years ago, and so on and so forth. What I do see is a lot of dickheads with Internet access and time on their hands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.