Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Laguna
.....Scott O'Grady was not a hero. He was shot down doing his job. The true heroes were the men who volunteered to go in harm's way to rescue him.

I'm not sure if he was a hero or not but I do know that he was shot down because he was flying the same flight patterns every time he went up and it was pretty simple for a mobile Sa-6 to set up for him near Banja Luka.

That mobile Sa-6 was a tricky little sucker but he made the mistake of lighting up and we had his signature.

*BOOM*

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doubtful you have any aircraft knowledge but some research on the TBM Avenger may shed some light for your warped conclusions.While you're at it Google up Ensign George H.Gay another torpedo bomber pilot who was the only surviving member of a full squadron at the battle of Midway.I'm sure he was a chicken chit also since he was the last man standing..Oh BTW GFY moron..

By JO2 Timothy J Christmann
Naval Aviation News 67 (March-April 1985): 12-15

Forty-one years ago, a 20-year-old Naval Aviator named George Bush embarked on a mission which he would later describe as one of the most dramatic moments of his life -- an experience which gave him a "sobering understanding of war and peace."
"There's no question that it broadened my horizons," Vice President Bush said recently. "And there's no question that today it has a real impact on me as I give advice to the President."
It was September 2, 1944. Lieutenant Junior Grade George Bush was a pilot with Torpedo Squadron Fifty-One (VT-51 ) aboard the aircraft carrier USS San Jacinto (CVL-30), a light carrier which was deployed in the North Pacific
Just two years earlier, on June 12, 1942, Bush had graduated from high school and joined the Navy as a seaman, second class. But, in less than a year, he completed flight training at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, was commissioned an ensign, and went on to fly TBM Avengers with VT-51. For a time, he was the youngest pilot in Naval Aviation.
On that sunny morning of September, Bush woke aboard San Jacinto prepared to fly one of the 58 attack missions he would fly during the war. However, this particular mission would end a little differently than his other 57.
The target was a Japanese radio station on ChiChi Jima, located about 600 miles southwest of Japan in the Bonin Islands. For a time, the enemy on that tiny island had been intercepting U.S. military radio transmissions and warning Japan and occupied enemy islands of impending American air strikes. It had to be destroyed
Before 0900, Bush and two aircrewmen (his regular radioman, Radioman Second Class John Delaney, and substitute gunner Lieutenant Junior Grade William White) strapped themselves inside an Avenger and catapulted off San Jacinto. Three other bomb-laden VT-51 aircraft, as well as a number of VF-51's F6F Hellcats, joined the mission.
"I was replaced by Ltjg. White at the last minute," said Leo W. Nadeau, then an ordnanceman second class who flew as Bush's gunner on all but two of his attack missions. "As intelligence officer, White wanted to go along to observe the island."
Nadeau, who was 20 at the time, added that the day before, Bush, Delaney and he had flown into ChiChi Jima and destroyed an enemy gun emplacement.
"The antiaircraft (AA) fire on that island was the worst we had seen," he said. "I don't think the AA fire in the Philippines was as bad as that."
"ChiChi was a real feisty place to fly into," Stanley Butchart, a former VT-51 pilot and friend of Bush, agreed. "As I remember, it had gun emplacements hidden in the mountain areas. In order to get down to the radio facility, you had to fly past the AA batteries, which was risky business."
As expected, projectiles belched from the enemy's AA batteries as soon as Bush and his squadron mates were over the island. Tiny black puffs of smoke thickened around his plane as he approached the target and dove steeply -- so steeply that Bush felt like he was standing on his head. But before he reached the radio facility the plane was hit.
Ltjg. Bush, who felt the plane "lift" from the hit, continued his dive toward the target and dropped his payload. The four 500-pound bombs exploded, causing damaging hits. For his courage and disregard for his own safety in pressing home his attack, he was later awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross.
Bush maneuvered the Avenger over the ocean with the hope it would make the journey back to San Jacinto. But the plane began to blaze and clouds of smoke soon enveloped the cockpit. Choking and gasping for air, Bush and one of his aircrewmen wriggled out of the plane and leaped from about 1,500 feet. His other crewman, dead or seriously injured from the blast, went down with the Avenger.
Bush parachuted safely into the water, dangerously close to the shore. Unfortunately, the aircrewman fell helplessly to his death because his parachute failed to open properly.
No one ever knew which one bailed out with Mr. Bush," said Nadeau, now a building contractor in Ramona, Calif. "I would assume it was Delaney, because as the radioman, he would go out first to leave room for the gunner to climb down out of the turret and put his chute on.
"There wasn't room in the turret for the gunner to wear a parachute. As a gunner, my parachute hung on the bulkhead of the plane near Delaney. We set up an escape procedure where he was supposed to hand me my chute and jump, and then I was to follow him. The procedure took a couple of seconds."
Nadeau added that he "didn't know what to think" when he heard the plan was shot down.
"I felt bad that Delaney and Mr. White had died," he said. "I just had the feeling that had I been there, Delaney and I might have both made it out alive -- that is, unless one of us got hit by AA. Delaney and I had practiced our escape procedure constantly. He might have stayed to help White get out of the turret and delayed too long. it's one of those things that never leaves your mind. Why didn't I go that day?"
Vice-President Bush said that he chose to finish the bombing run rather than bail out early because as a Naval Aviator, he was disciplined to do that.
"We were trained to complete our runs no matter what the obstacle,"he remarked.
Once in the water, Bush unleashed his inflatable yellow lifeboat, crawled in, and paddled quickly out to sea. The Japanese sent out a boat to capture him. Luckily, Lieutenant Doug West, a fellow VT-51 Avenger pilot, strafed the boat.
"He stopped it," said Bush.
Circling fighter planes transmitted Bush's plight and position to the U.S. submarine Finback (SS-230), patrolling 15 to 20 miles from the island

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Getting shot down is not heroic. Saving your crew members might not be either. It might be was he was supposed to do. Yet he chose to save himself at the expense of his crew members' lives. That's a coward.

But I'm good with whatever you choose to believe.

A second way to identify a troll for sure is that they never read or comprehend what is posted in response to their own �truth.�
They cling to their sources whose words are set in stone and your backup is crap.
�Well, you can chose to believe whatever stupidity you have found, but I know what I know.�

It is a fact, Jack; verified from the record of the Distinguished Flying Cross award that Bush finished his bomb run after his plane was hit.

Yet you judge him a coward. You state as fact that Bush chose to save himself instead of his crew, while neither you or your witnesses were in that cockpit.

In the article I quoted from there are more people who were there that completely disagree with your source.
At the last squadron reunion there were eight still alive that would have been more than happy to set you straight. And they have other stories to tell about the character of Ltjg. Bush.

...A month after picking up Bush, Finback discharged her five passengers at Midway. Afterwards, the aviators were taken to Hawaii.
"We were supposed to stay at Hawaii for two weeks R&R," said Keene, who became good friends with Bush aboard the sub. "But Bush was concerned about what had happened to his crewmen, and he wanted to get back out to San Jacinto. So, we got a ride in a DC-3 and ended up at Guam. We stayed there a few days until we found out where the fleet was."

Once aboard San Jacinto, there were few people as happy to see Bush back as his gunner, Ordnanceman Second Class Leo Nadeau.
"I don't know what happened in officers' quarters, but down in enlisted quarters we had the ship's baker make a big cake with the words 'Your First Ducking' written on the top," he said.
Nadeau added that Ltjg. Bush had a lot of friends among the enlisted men.

"Mr. Bush wasn't one of your run-of-the-mill officers," he said. "Being an enlisted man, I couldn't go into officers' quarters and as an officer he couldn't go into enlisted quarters. So we'd meet quite often up on the flight deck by the plane. We'd always be checking our aircraft out. He would look his plane over, and I would look over the armament. We were both very conscientious about the work that we were doing." Once up on the flight deck, Nadeau said the two of them used to talk about most anything, including the women both of them would later marry.
As Bush's gunner, Nadeau said the two of them had some "scary moments'' together.

He added that one particular moment stands out among the others.
"It was in June 1944," he remembered. "Our plane was taxied to the catapult and tied down. We had to be catapulted instead of making a deck takeoff, because of our heavy load of ordnance. Once we were tied down, a Japanese air wave attacked San Jacinto. We couldn't catapult, however, because the ship wasn't into the wind."
While the carrier's guns traded rounds with the enemy planes, Bush, Nadeau and radioman Delaney sat in the Avenger with the engine running, praying they wouldn't get hit.
"It was hairy," Nadeau added. "Finally the wave went through. The carrier turned into the wind and shot us off. We scattered. We just wanted to get that bomb-ladened plane off the carrier. We were flying on pins and needles because we didn't know how many enemy planes were still up there.
"At some point we took a hit in the oil line, either from the Japanese when they attacked the ship, or from a stray projectile from the carrier's guns. The plane began spurting oil like mad," said Nadeau. "(Not long after leaving the ship) Mr. Bush came on the intercom and told Delaney and me to hold on because we were going down. Seconds later, he made a beautiful water landing.
"We got into a rubber lifeboat and Delaney and I started singing 'Over the Bounding Main,' " Nadeau laughed. "Mr. Bush turned around and said, 'You guys had better shut up or they're going to think we're having too good a time out here.'"
An hour later they were picked up by a U.S. destroyer, and returned to San Jacinto within five days.
"I can't say anything but good things about him," remarked Jack Guy, who was one of Bush's closest friends in VT-51. "In WW II we all felt we could depend on George to do his job. We never had to say, 'Where's my wingman?' because he was always there."

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The chasm in this country between, the far radical left.. ordinary people in the middle and far radicals on the right... is getting ridiculous...

all of this crap spewed by the liberal left, pushes folks like me further to the right...

if I found a far left radical with the crap beat out of him in a back alley, the only thing I could do is laugh and think how right poetic justice can feel...

these people want to see George Bush SR die? and for what..

I am sure they're the types I saw on Boston Common, this fall...

there was a rally that Barney Frank was speaking to a crowd of smelly dumpy wannabe hippies... who were having a combination "gay Pride" and "legalize marijuana" rally.....

I went to college in Boston, from Jan 1971 to June 1975...
40 years ago and counting...come to Boston Common and see not much has changed back there in 40 plus years....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lotta hate in this world.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For Laguna, and his supporters, criticizing a young WW 2 George Bush....what a bunch of dumbazzes...

call him a coward? there is a book called "Flyboys"...not the same as the movie about American pilots in WW 1 France before the USA entered the war...

This is the story of the Naval Aviators that were shot down attacking the radar and radio station on ChiChi Jima...an island close to Iwo Jima...

the Navy was interested in knocking it out, as it was reporting back to Tokyo what was going on at Iwo...

The commander of the island, was tried for war crimes after the war and executed... He had his men kill many of the Naval Aviators captured, and then EAT Them... Cannabalism...

a very young man, Bush's A/C was hit at 1500 ft altitude...he completed his bomb run and then his plane was burning... at 1500 ft... there was not a lot of time available for anyone to get out of that A/C.. it was burning, losing altitude at 1500 ft, and was in danger of exploding... and he was off an island, where it was known that the enemy commander was not keeping prisoners according to the Geneva Convention.. he was killing them...

60 years later and sitting safely behind one's keyboard, it is easy for someone to criticize what HE SHOULD HAVE DONE, according to their point of view.....

but talk about a hollow moronic sense of self righteousness...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
While I have not read this book, I was told that it's enlightening & alarming. I plan to check it out of my local library on Monday. From what I understand, the secrets go back to Prescott Bush.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here's an abstract of the book. I will read the book and assess. I do know that the Bushs' ties to the financial world go back to Prescott.

It might be BS. I won't know until I've read it. But my source, who is beyond reliable, has told me it's true and corroborated by other sources.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here's a rhetorical question: if Ronald Reagan did not trust George H.W. Bush, why should've we?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
for what its worth...

George Hubert Walker's dad could have gotten him out of military service with no problem...

he also could have gotten him duty where he would have never been in harms way..

dad wanted him to stay stateside and enroll into college...

instead the young 18 yr old GHW Bush, enlisted in the navy, put in for flight school, volunteered for combat with the fleet...

the young man did NOT take the easy way out, which would have been so easy for him to do...and all he did, he did against his father's wishes...

one does not have to like his politics, but no one can call him a coward...

the same way I didn't agree with Daniel Inouye's politics either...but I revere him for his combat achievements, and his dedication to voting how his constituents wanted him to vote in congress...

as far as I have always been concerned, anyone who has served their country in harms way, has more than earned the right to believe any way he wants to... whether others agree with it or not...

no one said he was a God, but on the other end, he served his nation in more ways than one.. and do so honorably...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
for what its worth...

George Hubert Walker's dad could have gotten him out of military service with no problem...

he also could have gotten him duty where he would have never been in harms way..

dad wanted him to stay stateside and enroll into college...

instead the young 18 yr old GHW Bush, enlisted in the navy, put in for flight school, volunteered for combat with the fleet...

the young man did NOT take the easy way out, which would have been so easy for him to do...and all he did, he did against his father's wishes...

Seems his son went a different route.

H.W. Bush deserves respect but that's where it ends for me with that family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's an abstract of the book. I will read the book and assess. I do know that the Bushs' ties to the financial world go back to Prescott.

It might be BS. I won't know until I've read it. But my source, who is beyond reliable, has told me it's true and corroborated by other sources.

you can get it free from your friends at MoveOn. why don't you take your book, and your imaginary friend "reliable source" and jam them both up your ass, on you way off the site?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All that DO NOT like George H W Bush....can kiss my stinking Irish azz!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JBoutfishn
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
GHWB was a good man.

GWB is an idiot who [bleep] up our country.

I met GHWB at the Safari Club a few years back, a true gentleman.

What do you base your comments about GW on? The mortgage based security fiasco can be placed at the feet of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. Their job was oversight and they failed to do their job. GW sent two letters of warning and was ignored.

GHWB was a very smart individual who at least had the sense to quit while he was ahead with his war. His bravery as a young man is beyond refute. Was he perfect? I think his "new world order" crap answers THAT. But he was a thoughtful, decent man who by the way ALSO thought that:

GWB is a [bleep] idiot who [bleep] up our country. His wars will haunt us for decades, his economic "prowess" is a big part of why we are where we are.

IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JBoutfishn
GHWB was a good man.

GWB is an idiot who [bleep] up our country.

I met GHWB at the Safari Club a few years back, a true gentleman.

What do you base your comments about GW on? The mortgage based security fiasco can be placed at the feet of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. Their job was oversight and they failed to do their job. GW sent two letters of warning and was ignored.

GHWB was a very smart individual who at least had the sense to quit while he was ahead with his war. His bravery as a young man is beyond refute. Was he perfect? I think his "new world order" crap answers THAT. But he was a thoughtful, decent man who by the way ALSO thought that:

GWB is a [bleep] idiot who [bleep] up our country. His wars will haunt us for decades, his economic "prowess" is a big part of why we are where we are.

IMHO.

LOL jeff give them the hard sell they'll buy it this time.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GWB is a [bleep] idiot who [bleep] up our country.

An idiot that can't even figure how to vote trying to make out like he knows how to run a country. That is a hoot. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

you can get it free from your friends at MoveOn. why don't you take your book, and your imaginary friend "reliable source" and jam them both up your ass, on you way off the site?

Steve_No

You have an extremely weird & pronounced fascination with homosexuality. Just yesterday you were trying to pimp out your son at gay bath houses. Now you're in to fisting, Good thing for your son, the military can't ask if your son doesn't tell. And a while back you were looking to hook up with a homosexual prostitute.

We know RISJR is a pettifogger in the least difficult legal speciality. Hell, there is no more family law in Arizona. In other states paralegals do the dirty work, and that's what family law is: dirty work that competent lawyers will not touch, which leaves it to pettifoggers. And that's the extent of RISJR's legal ability: the bottom of the legal barrel. Other lawyers look upon family law lawyers with disgrace because they scam money ruining families.

So since you're RISJR's only friend, are there benefits involved?

The reason why you think Bush was a war hero is the same reason you thought Romney was going to landslide Obama: your only source of info is MSM. Obviously I have far superior sources of info because a real deal lawyer told me the second the Romney became the nominee, Obama was going to landslide him. So we know he's smart and you can't pull two thoughts at once w/o fear of concussion. And no real father would ever even remotely think about sending his son into a gay bath house. That is just plain weird.

With your weird fascination of homosexuality, I would not be surprised if you haven't had a few vice contacts, maybe a conviction or two.

Now get benefits busy with RISJR so you'll be in a better mood. Social services will be over Monday to assure you're not pullin' benefits off of your son.

Last edited by Laguna; 12/30/12.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: Indeed George H. W. Bush was a great man and a good president. I admire and thank him for all of his varied services to our country.
I could give a flyingphuck less what any liberal has to say about him or for that matter ANYTHING else.
I hope that President Bush can overcome this illness and continue to enjoy some more years with his family.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wow....I am so impressed. that they let you out of restraints this early....a Sunday treat?

it takes a certain kind of sociopath to keep coming back to a place where you're mocked and despised.....but I guess that's pretty much the case every where you go, isn't it?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.