Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another good'un.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would not want the US armed forces pissed at me.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I was at Eglin AFB before going cross the pond AF Systems Command had the 130's testing on the gun ranges with the 105.Our gunnery practice was always 7.62 of course and we all did a WTF when we found out the potential for the ultimate gunship upgrade.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Something about a 105 mm howitzer hanging out the side of an AC-130 is just friggin awesome! and mechanically scary eek

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Nothing better than pieces of taliban flying all over!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timber!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cool

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
Something about a 105 mm howitzer hanging out the side of an AC-130 is just friggin awesome! and mechanically scary eek
Yeah, if you've ever seen one in person fire on the ground you wonder how they keep them from tearing the airframe apart on the 130.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of flying in the back of an AC-130A gunship on a live-fire training mission. Not -- alas! -- in actual combat, and not in anything like a current bird. (The largest guns aboard were fixed twin 40-mm Bofors.) But I did get to "surf" the airstream off the rear ramp and pass ammo, as well as spot hits and misses. Africkingmazing.

Surfing the airstream, BTW, involves donning a harness and clipping in to a safety wire. Then laying out with only your legs on the ramp and allowing the airstream to support your upper body while you search for groundfire with your eyes. Backwards. At night. While the aircraft maneuvers. Nothing beneath you but the Gulf of Mexico. No parachute. The braver you are, the farther out you allow yourself to hang. I got out as far as mid-thigh; the real crewmembers surf on their kneecaps.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I suppose this one will be on the Feinstein list.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Shau Valley, spring of '70 found us on an early morning recon to verify carnage from a Spectre strike along the Laotian border. Razor back ridge convoy ambush with the opening salvo from the 105. Popped the lead vehicle then the trail and as I recall the intervening 55 trucks with nowhere to run. Turkey shoot it was and a bad night for Uncle Ho's team. That gunship is a serious force to reckon with if you're on the wrong end.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by eh76
Yeah, if you've ever seen one in person fire on the ground you wonder how they keep them from tearing the airframe apart on the 130.

I have fired them,,,that is why eek

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have had the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of flying in the back of an AC-130A gunship on a live-fire training mission. Not -- alas! -- in actual combat, and not in anything like a current bird. (The largest guns aboard were fixed twin 40-mm Bofors.) But I did get to "surf" the airstream off the rear ramp and pass ammo, as well as spot hits and misses. Africkingmazing.

Surfing the airstream, BTW, involves donning a harness and clipping in to a safety wire. Then laying out with only your legs on the ramp and allowing the airstream to support your upper body while you search for groundfire with your eyes. Backwards. At night. While the aircraft maneuvers. Nothing beneath you but the Gulf of Mexico. No parachute. The braver you are, the farther out you allow yourself to hang. I got out as far as mid-thigh; the real crewmembers surf on their kneecaps.

ahem.....juevos grande!

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
A Shau Valley, spring of '70 found us on an early morning recon to verify carnage from a Spectre strike along the Laotian border. Razor back ridge convoy ambush with the opening salvo from the 105. Popped the lead vehicle then the trail and as I recall the intervening 55 trucks with nowhere to run. Turkey shoot it was and a bad night for Uncle Ho's team. That gunship is a serious force to reckon with if you're on the wrong end.

Oldest son says they were glad to see them a time or three in the Gulf.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the oddly humorous stories from that era, during the Spring '72 offensive not far from Hue, the NVA were using SA7's like sailor's drink whiskey. Spectre on a mission and the fella working the FDC witnesses a SA7 launch pointed in their direction. Apparently it had locked on the Xenon search light or some component of the night vision equipment and the guy got to scream like a little girl all the way inbound. Kinda screwed up the rest of their night but they flew home for a pair of new undies.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Alas, I only flew on the *E* models dropping Daisy Cutters.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by idnative1948

Alas, I only flew on the *E* models dropping Daisy Cutters.

only huh...... whistle

http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Spring2002/a8.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Next target---USA.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,697
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.