S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Tanner
You wouldn't shoot an elk over 450 yards with a 180 NAB leaving at 3k?

No, I wouldn't. It's just a preference thing. At 450 it's still over 2000 Ft/Lbs, and just over 2250 FPS (bigger mushroom)

Kind of a pointless point. I've killed every Elk except one with a 540 grain 2 bladed missle going 195 FPS.

Out to 450 yards ... WOW!

You're almost as good as Travis thinks he is!! smile smile smile

I know ... GFM smile

He just wore them out. grin

HR IC

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tanner
You wouldn't shoot an elk over 450 yards with a 180 NAB leaving at 3k?

No, I wouldn't. It's just a preference thing. At 450 it's still over 2000 Ft/Lbs, and just over 2250 FPS (bigger mushroom)

Kind of a pointless point. I've killed every Elk except one with a 540 grain 2 bladed missle going 195 FPS.

I'm glad you'll spare him a miserable death... grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks...

Without opening a HUGE can of worms.

If you knew this rifle was going to wind up in an aftermarket stock, and may wind of going to Pac-Nor anyways...

Which M70 would you start with, a new BACO one or an older New Haven (with the early style trigger)

[Linked Image]

Or later
[Linked Image]

The oldstyle trigger. Geesh, was that intended to be a rhetorical question????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
More questions...

Is the EW the same contour on the barrel as the WSM stainless Featherweights (which apparently aren't FW, but sporter) are?

Did the EW exist as both a BACO (S. Carolina) and earlier model (with the origional M70 trigger) ?

1. Nope, the EW is closer to the sporter weight contour but it has flutes.

2. The "EW II" was produced in the New haven plant but they wanted way too much money for it back then (over $2,500 +). However, they were made right: These rifles had the mcmillan stock and oldstyle trigger and they also made them for the left handed shooter as well:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=013C&mid=535916

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=013C&mid=535917

I'm not saying i'd fork out that much money for one though!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by avagadro

With all the Montuckians ... It might have to either a hott sheep OR Green Muscle chick ....

smile

That was uncalled for.

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
Hey Dan,

Late to the party but a couple thoughts for you. First I have an M70 EW in 300 WSM - with a Leupie 3-9x40 and Talley LW's it weigh 7lbs 15oz. It is dang handy. I normally ain't within 2-3 miles of camp/truck and have never found it burdensome. I had a Kimber 300 WSM - it weighed 6lb 15oz. The 1 lb may not seem like alot but there is a noticeable reduction in recoil between the 7lb and 8lb rifle. An 8lb 300 WSM shooting full power loads is not bad to shoot from any position.

On loads, I get 2975 using 65 gr H4350 under a 180 Nosler Partition lit by WLRM primers. I've gotten a bit more than 3k using Re17 but H4350 is where its at with the 300 WSM - although I did switch to H4831 (69.5 gr) this year because I ran out of 4350 at the last minute. My H4831 clocks 2950; both loads are MOA.

Another option: I know where a used SS classic M70 in 300 WSM is sitting. A local shop has a $600 price tag on it but I'd bet it could be had for a bit less - its been there for awhile. Put a Mickey/B&C/Bansner and your favorite scope on it and you're out the door for ~ $1k. Been eyein' the rig myself. I did the exact same thing with a new SS M70 FW in 7 WSM. My 7WSM weighs 7lb 8oz with Talley's and 3-9x40 Leupie. As a bonus, the used M70 comes with a barrel rubber to help your barrel harmonics. I suspect a Field-N-Streamer owned it wink

To me, the M70 EW is the bestest answer - if you can live with the B&C stock. It does feel a bit more chunky than the Mickey Edge's but can be had for sub $1k.

Sounds like that would be the best option since the OP will be replacing the barrel and stock anyway. Might as well have the better trigger....My FN PBR XP has a much better (oldstyle) trigger than any moa trigger I've had....Just sayin... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=bigwhoop With the first pick of a trio of Forbes 24 coming in locally, my battle will be which to pick: the .270Win. or the 30-06.

Ok, carry on. [/quote]

That makes is easy, go 25/06...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
More questions...

Is the EW the same contour on the barrel as the WSM stainless Featherweights (which apparently aren't FW, but sporter) are?

Did the EW exist as both a BACO (S. Carolina) and earlier model (with the origional M70 trigger) ?

1. Nope, the EW is closer to the sporter weight contour but it has flutes.

2. The "EW II" was produced in the New haven plant but they wanted way too much money for it back then (over $2,500 +). However, they were made right: These rifles had the mcmillan stock and oldstyle trigger and they also made them for the left handed shooter as well:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=013C&mid=535916

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=013C&mid=535917

I'm not saying i'd fork out that much money for one though!!!!

Wow, I didnt know Winchester made that one and with a Krieger barrel!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks...

Without opening a HUGE can of worms.

If you knew this rifle was going to wind up in an aftermarket stock, and may wind of going to Pac-Nor anyways...

Which M70 would you start with, a new BACO one or an older New Haven (with the early style trigger)

[Linked Image]

Or later
[Linked Image]

Or you could get one of the Montana Rifle Company Xtrreme Weathers, which have the old style trigger. Everything I've heard about there latest guns has been good.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[quote=bigwhoop With the first pick of a trio of Forbes 24 coming in locally, my battle will be which to pick: the .270Win. or the 30-06.

Ok, carry on.

That makes is easy, go 25/06...grin

Dober [/quote]

That was uncalled for! grin In all my 40 years of loonyism, I have never owned a 25-06.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, one round I have absolutely no use for and have never owned. Go figure.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Or you could get one of the Montana Rifle Company Xtrreme Weathers, which have the old style trigger. Everything I've heard about there latest guns has been good.

Not on a bet from hell... MRC, Montana Rifleman, and McGowen Precision are 3 companies that I can't believe are still in business. I've been in those shops, and rifles and barrels they turn out that are SUB-MOA are just as much an accident as anything.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm still confused on the barrel contour of the two?

The EW is .600" at a 23" long barrel?

What is the FW?

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The bitch of it is... I just built the rifle I'm looking for, but in the wrong caliber, and on a 700 action.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
No New haven EWs, and despite the complaints the MOA trigger isn't bad. Also, I think quality is much better on BACO guns. I have a couple of Bansners and they are great stocks. The B&C will have relatively similar egos, though, and mine seems stiff enough and weighs 28 ounces.

When I'm building a rifle, triggers are not what I worry about. I always try to adjust the factory, and when I affirm it sucks, I replace it.

Travis

Agreed, but are there aftermarket triggers for the new M70's?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes Jeffrey. There are.

Hope you have a Happy New Year buddy. Weather is good here. How is Oregon looking?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miserable. Spent the day in 2" deep freezing water replacing a well pump. Throw in a leaking factory-installed freeze plug that meant the f*cking thing had to get installed twice and I'm about ready to drink, hard. Good times.

What's triggers are available aftermarket for them? I sure did like the EW I handled. The trigger was maybe acceptable. Hard to tell in the gun shop.

That's one nice thing with Kimbers... very good trigger (IMHO).

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Not on a bet from hell... MRC, Montana Rifleman, and McGowen Precision are 3 companies that I can't believe are still in business. I've been in those shops, and rifles and barrels they turn out that are SUB-MOA are just as much an accident as anything.

Dan -- I think the new rifles from MRC are quite a step up from the old actions. I owned (and sold here) a XWR in 7-08 that was finished pretty nice. My local shop has 3-4 more on the shelf and I'm impressed with their stainless rifles. So much in fact, I ordered a 308 last week. Might be worth a look to check out their "newer" production stuff.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still confused on the barrel contour of the two?

The EW is .600" at a 23" long barrel?

What is the FW?

.600 @ 24"

Dave

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The bitch of it is... I just built the rifle I'm looking for, but in the wrong caliber, and on a 700 action.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now that is pretty. I like your idea for an all around and though I'm not a big Winny fan, the EW's I've handled are pretty nice for the coin.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.