-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I put a pocket clip on my LCR. It is bitching if you have a shirt tucked into your shorts/chonies.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by deflave

One last thing before I ask you to GFY; running with a snubbie works great on short runs. You start running 7 miles and up and it will wear a hole through your flesh. Which is fine, if you aren't bothered by a hole in your flesh.

GFY,
Travis

I try not to run seven or more miles anymore unless I already needed to have the gun out.

That's because your vagina has gained a foothold.

Travis

No, I just decided being able to pick up heavy schit was more likely to keep me out of a nursing home than being able to run long.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Pistol gack is fun to discuss but when it comes down to it, here are the questions I asked.

9mm, .40 or .45 - put'em on a dartboard and throw a dart at it. Pick the one it hits. Fire a box of any of the latest hollow point ammo to be sure it feeds and ejects properly then get another box to load the magazine with.

For the pistol - When you are surprised, suddenly very scared, as in not just "Surprise!" birthday party startled, but when the most primitive part of your brain registers "omigod i'm really about to die in the next second" and your entire life flashes before your eyes*:

1. Which pistol can you draw and fire that will put the very first round right where your hugely wide open eyes are intently looking?**

2. Which pistol will you have with you all the time, not just when it's easiest or most convenient to carry it?

3. Which pistol can you manipulate, make ready to fire and get into action right now when your motor skills deteriorate to the point where you have ten thumbs and the very atmosphere feels like molasses?

Notice the emphasis on you. What other people can use is nice and may or may not be helpful, but you wouldn't buy your pants or marry your wife based on what fits someone else's needs.

When you find a pistol that successfully answers the above, get that one. Don't worry about the brand or model, within reason - lots of reputable manufacturers make very reliable handguns these days. However, if two or more pistols answer all three questions, get the one that holds the most ammo. If it's a tie or no one pistol answers all three, let #1 be the tie breaker.

Just my free opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

*Your entire life won't but you'd be amazed at how much of it will flash before your eyes.

**Practice with it so hopefully you see the front sight on or near center of mass before pulling the trigger and not put a round in the guy's hand where his weapon is and where you'll most likely actually be looking.

OP, great post from Jim In Idaho
here is another 2 cents worth
I know you stated auto well
You have a 22 and a 44 revolver platforms?
Why not stay with a similar platform Revolver
and go with a 640 S&W great for pocket IWB/OWB carry etc.
and will digest a ton of hot 38s
All the autos suggested are proven Just remember to insure what ever you choose is utterly reliable and practice practice practice. Remember ccw is to have it with you and not home in the safe because it is uncomfortable to carry or shoot.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GaryVA
MM, Nothing personal, not trying to ruffle your feathers I Kinda feel the need to walk on egg shells when talking to anyone about choices in riflescopes and concealed carry handguns. Some get very personal when it comes to choices not their own......

Best smile

I don't take any of this personal. Just offering my experiences and perspectives.

Choosing a CC weapon is a very individual choice. There are a lot of different correct choices. Different needs, circumstances, preferences, yada, yada, yada.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The one you shoot best. As long as you can and will carry it concealed w/o getting made.
I much prefer automatics because they hide better than most revolvers and they hold more ammo. That and revolvers, if you drop them on hard surfaces, don't fire when you pick them up 50% of the time. BTDT
I would pick a cartriage that I could shoot the best as well. If that's a 9mm, then pick a high quality load.
Just for the record, my choice is a SIG 220 in .45 ACP. It has the advantage over the various 1911 models and the Glocks because, unlike them, they have no controversy surrounding their design and reliability. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 01/01/13.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always threw my first shot wide when I was buying and using Sig pistols. Keep it simple, you don't want to have to guess where the rip cord is on the parachute when you falling. G19.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Son, you are venturing into uncharted waters on this subject. It is almost a guarentee that the first will not be the last and your choices and teperments will change.
Just get you a good'un for the first---no cheapies allowed when it comes to your life----Then start looking again.
Semi's are easier carriers but Rollers will work with the right rigs.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The bussiness of having the first or second shot thrown due to the DA/SA transition is not a problem with the new SIG designs. Or maybe I should say it isn't a problem for me.
I've been shooting DA/SA semi auto handguns since the first M39 Smiths hit the market back in the 60's. For years, I wouldn't even own one because of this.
I do own and have shot a Smith 1006 quite a bit. For me to hit anything in a hurry with shots one and two, I have to cock the pistol and fire both rounds single action.
When I got my SIG 220 last year, I started out practicing with it using that technique. But it didn't take long to discover that I was actually faster going DA with #1 and that I did fine with the follow up shot.
Apparently the makers of the SIG pistols were able to design a DA system that allows them to make a shorter, much smoother pull as well as a similar SA trigger break. I can tell you that it works very well for me.
Which is a he!! of a thing to say for a die hard 1911 fan. E

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The best CCW is:
1) the one that has a trigger action that suits you - some people prefer SA, others prefer DA, others like DA 1st shot then SA

2) the one that fits your hand the best and points most naturally - you want a gun where you can hold it in your hand, raise to eye level with your eyes closed, and when you open your eyes, the sights are right on, or at least very close. You want a handgun that you don't have to work at to point at the target - in a defensive situation you have enough other things to worry about.

3) that you can shoot the best - some people can shoot a 9mm better than a 45, others it doesn't seem to make much difference. Some people can shoot a 3.8 snubbie fast and well, others can't. What works for you, works for you; it doesn't matter what works for someone else.

4) that you can conceal comfortably and carry all day long without checking it or feeling it is dragging you down or making you feel lopsided. This is to a significant extent a matter of the gun/holster/belt combo. Some people can wear an inside-the-waistband holster concealing an S&W 44 Mag, others can't. Depends on body build, body size, holster selection, etc.

And remember, the belt and holster are as important as the gun when it comes to comfortable concealment - don't cheap out. A good stiff belt will hold the holster securely and stably so it is always in the same place when you reach for it. A good holster is immensely important to achieve good concealment. If you are good with an inside-the-waistband holster, that also means you need to buy your pants a couple inches larger to accommodate the holster.

5) Caliber is the last thing you should worry about once it is adequate. Anything from .38 Special, 9mm, 40 S&W to .45 ACP works.

Lots of possible choices including Glocks, S&W M&P, H&K, SIG, Beretta, Kahr, etc.

What I suggest is that you try shooting as many handguns as you can beg or borrow from your friends to see what suits you best. We're lucky that we have a lot of choices out there to try. I can tell you what I like but it may or may not work for you. Take suggestions but find what works for YOU - then ignore what anyone else says. :-)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good advice right there from Jlin222.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For really small I carry a Colt Cobra(I know it is not a semi). When I go bigger I carry a CZ 83.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.