Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So for you guys who choose 9mm +P and +P+, why do you choose it; what does it get you?

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I only have one 9mm in the house, and I don't carry it at all. The ammunition I keep it loaded with is the ammunition my agency uses (or used) in MP5 Subguns. So, I run the +P because of "economical" reasons.

I am old enough to remember though, when it was unusual to get expansion from a jacketed hollow point out of a pistol. The only chance you had was to run them as fast as you could or make the cavity as wide as you could.

I guess part of me still hedges against those old gremlins, even if I'm only hedging in my head.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I carry CorBon PowR'Ball or CorBon 115s..velocity is in the 1300s for 115s and 1400s for the PowR'Ball...

Why...because as the druggies say..."Speed Kills"....and .35 caliber guns need all the speed they can get. It's why I carry a .38 Super instead of a 9mm....124s at 1350 and 115s at 1450.

The standard by which all defensive rounds are judged is the 125 grain .357 Magnum at 1400+ from a 4" gun...in a .35 caliber gun that is what I want to duplicate...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin, what do you think of the plain jane remington jhp in 115 gr. My gun shoots them well, but am I underloaded?

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No Joe, you're not under-loaded.

The benefit of higher velocity rounds is barrier penetration. Back in the early days of JHP's, maximum velocity was needed to open up those bullets, but the manufactures have it all worked out and have so for nearly 20 years, yet people still feel the need for +P.

If you're a cop, then +P+ makes sens, since you're likely to need barrier penetration. For the military NATO pressure 124 grain 9mm is a much better penetrator of barriers.

But to think that it provides any additional "stopping power" in today's world is really folly. If you can eek out more than 100fps, then perhaps it can begin to make some difference, but very little I'm convinced.

I've yet to see any evidence that a +P "kills better" or "stops better", but people just think that "more is always better" but seem to draw an invisible line where defense is concerned; I don't know why.

Standard 9mm JHP's will do the job just fine. If I were a cop, I still doubt I'd use +P or +P+ in 9mm and would just switch to one of the excellent 147 grain loads to avoid the significant increase in muzzle blast, noise, recoil and general displeasure of the hot loads. Quite honestly, if I didn't feel the standard 9mm was capable of doing the job, I'd choose a bigger gun; but that's me.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I chose the +P+ Ranger because,

1) I got it for free

2) A friend has seen what it'll do to live tissue.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
No Joe, you're not under-loaded.

The benefit of higher velocity rounds is barrier penetration. Back in the early days of JHP's, maximum velocity was needed to open up those bullets, but the manufactures have it all worked out and have so for nearly 20 years, yet people still feel the need for +P.

If you're a cop, then +P+ makes sens, since you're likely to need barrier penetration. For the military NATO pressure 124 grain 9mm is a much better penetrator of barriers.

But to think that it provides any additional "stopping power" in today's world is really folly. If you can eek out more than 100fps, then perhaps it can begin to make some difference, but very little I'm convinced.

I've yet to see any evidence that a +P "kills better" or "stops better", but people just think that "more is always better" but seem to draw an invisible line where defense is concerned; I don't know why.

Standard 9mm JHP's will do the job just fine. If I were a cop, I still doubt I'd use +P or +P+ in 9mm and would just switch to one of the excellent 147 grain loads to avoid the significant increase in muzzle blast, noise, recoil and general displeasure of the hot loads. Quite honestly, if I didn't feel the standard 9mm was capable of doing the job, I'd choose a bigger gun; but that's me.

That works out fine IF you get to pick what you carry as far as handguns and ammunition. I haven't been overly happy with my own issued sidearm since they took my 10mm and replaced it with a glock chambered for .40 S&W.

FWIW, I do agree that standard yellow and green box of 115 grain Remington JHP's are a pretty good choice for self defense use in a 9mm.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TAK are you using RA9B or RA9T? Have you compared the two?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I got a great deal on some +P.

If I'd gotten the same deal, I would have taken standard pressure. Speer site says 70 fps faster with the +P, but real world? Who knows?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
TAK are you using RA9B or RA9T? Have you compared the two?

RA9TA, and I'm not aware of the difference between the two.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the big question is why not. you are not likely to fire a lot of them through your gun so damage to the gun is minimal to none. and if you favorite bullet comes with it then why not. the speer 124 +p load is probably the most popular 9mm load there is. speer has done a good job of matching bullet toughness to the speed generated, so with that said I see no reason not to take the extra power and speed it aint going to hurt anything. I personally carry a standard pressure 115 grain speer GD load myself. it tested well my tnoutdoors9 AND it uses a little lighter bullet which is nicer to carry all loaded up. if the load did the same thing and was +p I would carry it too, however this 115 grain bullet pushed to greater speeds actually didn't do as well as it does in standard pressure.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RA9B is the bonded version. According to what I have read the RA9T expands more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here is a little youtube video of the RA9B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMgyqWgW7M

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is timely as i am looking at possibly being given a 9mm as a gift. I would most likely run the 124 gr. Gold Dots at +P levels.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
This is timely as i am looking at possibly being given a 9mm as a gift. I would most likely run the 124 gr. Gold Dots at +P levels.

If I had to buy it, that's what I'd most likely go with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So for you guys who choose 9mm +P and +P+, why do you choose it; what does it get you?
RJM is spot-on IMO. I want as much velocity in a 9 as I can get. I reload the 9 pretty hot. Other calibers don't get this treatment. IMO the 9 is fine if you have plenty of velocity. Same with the 38 Spec.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

+P+ 115 grain Fed HP, it prevented my mauling from a large pit bull with one shot.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use 124gr+P Speer Gold Dots, because of reviews of how well the load works.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp

+P+ 115 grain Fed HP, it prevented my mauling from a large pit bull with one shot.

I have to believe that a normally loaded 9mm would have done the same. A bullet does not magically arrive on target by itself. It has to have been properly aimed. "YOU" prevented the mauling, with the assistance of a firearm and bullet.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A 9mm is basically the same diameter (almost) as a 38 special, but goes faster... a 357 mag is the same diameter as a 9mm, but goes faster.
About 90% of the literature I have seen tells me that there is a benefit to the increase in velocity, as it relates to energy and stopping power. (I understand that I could be mistaken on this assumption, if the bullet design doesn't really perform well when you change velocity)
so, if I had to shoot 124 or 125 grain projectiles in the 9mm and "38" calibers, I would shoot:
357 mag first
9mm +p second
9mm standard velocity third
and 38 special fourth (last)
If all bullet designs of the approx same weight and size are all appropriate to the velocity of these guns, where am I going wrong here?

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (320090T, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 30 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,487
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.