Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
To you guys who went sheep hunting this year, as well as those who are going next year, what does your gear list consist of? Anything new for 2013? Anything else sheep hunting is also welcomed.

GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am putting my list together and pretty much starting from scratch. So far my hunting has all been via boat truck or ATV and as such it has been heavier and less conducive to chasing sheep or caribou or anything that requires packing everything for long distances by foot.

It will be interesting to see what everyone puts down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm planning to replace my Barney's Pinnacle with a Stone Glacier. Will likely try to go lighter/more compressable on the sleeping bag too. After seeing a Jetboil TI in action, I'll probably go that route as well.

I need to decide on a LW rifle, and sell off a couple others.

Other than that, no major gear changes planned. Same as every year, Lighter/Faster/Stronger... smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The pictures thread reminded me of two more changes:

100 feet of ice climbing rope.

Smaller/lighter/waterproof camera.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
nice cwh. you are gonna have a check of a time topping this last year's sheep. you working with barbell?

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Haven't lifted since we moved in August. My weight stuff is stacked behind a shed because there is no garage at the new house (yet).

I did hang the pullup bar in a doorway, so I am doing pullups and knees to elbows. Planning to do weighted pack squats, just to do something, and will move the weight rack into the garage tent in the spring. I guess I could just join a gym...

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
I'm planning to replace my Barney's Pinnacle with a Stone Glacier. Will likely try to go lighter/more compressable on the sleeping bag too. After seeing a Jetboil TI in action, I'll probably go that route as well.

I need to decide on a LW rifle, and sell off a couple others.

Other than that, no major gear changes planned. Same as every year, Lighter/Faster/Stronger... smile

Those are nice packs. What bag did you decide on? I would like to test one before I gave up my Barney's Pinnacle.

I'm going to start picking through my gear and get a 'field-ready' setup and post the items on here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Terminus.

I have a gear list someplace, but I generally do it by memory now. Cooking gear, sleeping gear, optics, rifle, cold weather gear... etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dental floss. The rib meat gets into every crevice.

It's not the destination...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OMG.....I thought for sure I'd see a picture of velcro gloves and rubber boots again... eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My backpack hunt list is generic - the only things that vary are quantities of salt, meat bags, puffy coat loft and food.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Use google. There are quite a few actual lists out there. It just depends on what sheep, where, when. I went with a kifaru this year and wont ever look back. Im a gear junkie and spent a ton on my sheep hunt this year. Most of it is staying with me. It pays to pay! Buy the best and you wont do it twice. I got a golite 0 degree bag and a copper spur ul2 along with a few other new additions. I still had too much crap. Next time I will have a suunto watch and a map/google earth print and thats it. As far as GPS goes. My android phone will be what I use from now on if I cant tell where I am by getting to the top and looking at the map. The Delorm in reach didnt exactly link up quite as nicely as I would have liked. I will get a sat phone next time. The goal zero worked well. I still brought too much food. Ill be doing a write up with gear specs soon.

Rokslide.com is a wealth of knowledge.

Jason

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I did a lot of research on sheep gear on the Alaska Outdoorsman Forum last year. A few guys had posted their gear lists in this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...ing-Gear-Lists?highlight=sheep+gear+list

There is also this thread about good and bad sheep gear from hunter's experience:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/101989-Fail-Win-sheep-gear-list?highlight=tripod

The search function on that forum works great and just returned numerous new threads on gear for 2013. You might need a login to access it. There might also be something similar on the Fire about sheep. I'm new here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1st official act was to pick-up a Kimber Montana in 308 as opposed to my 9lb 30 Gibbs'
We used a Tee-Pee Sierra Design tent with bivys and our anceint whisperlite.
My Frog Togs were trashed almost instintly but my Meindels,Mammut Champs and Stormy Seas fleece pulled me through. I highly recommend Barnys Mtn Coat as well![Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be getting a new pack but i'm not sure which one yet. Also need a new shelter but haven't decided if I want a tent or tipi.

The only other thing on my list is either a Tok or Delta sheep tag.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some good links there JFK and Maxx. Thanks for sharing them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Good luck.... that's on my wish list too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I'll be getting a new pack but i'm not sure which one yet. Also need a new shelter but haven't decided if I want a tent or tipi.

Good luck in the draws. I went all Chugach this year, same with goats. If I get lucky I plan on using Meekins Air.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Meekins knows that country and can really fly. I would still talk with Jerry Lee. That boy knows that country pretty well.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,833
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.