-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My latest new-rifle acquisition is a Win M-70 FN/South Carolina Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

I won't try to say where it ranks in the list of other rifles, but I will say that the fit, finish, and overall performance exceeded my expectations.

They are putting out nice rifles today and I would gladly buy another or recommend them to others.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have bought 3-Savages in the past 6-mos and every one of them shoots under an inch with little effort. Not the prettiest gun, but who cares, they are a tool.

I have 2-Ruger's that are very accurate, so i guess i am lucky and would buy another in a heart beat.

Buy a Remington if you want a project.

Good Shooting!
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by shawnmitchell
How about Savage 110/10, Ruger American, Marlin X7, etc.?

I didn't mention the Savage bolt because, altho reportedly very accurate, the cheap wood stock and the awkward positioning of the bolt handle have always been turn offs to me. I'd certainly keep one if someone gave one to me, but I'd always buy something else.

Never heard of the Ruger American (off to do some googling). I've heard of the Marlin X7, but am not familiar with it. I've read some people complaining about a decline in quality of Marlin rifles, so that would put me off, without knowing more.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Hard to believe anyone that is serious rifle looney would consider a newer Browning. I'd consider one made in Belgium.

Huh? Why not? I know some older posters still harbor ill-will toward the Japanese, is that it?

As for quality, this isn't the '50s anymore! The Japanese have a (well deserved) reputation for high quality. They make higher quality products than Americans, unfortunately, because the demographics of the American workforce isn't the same as it was before 1954, also unfortunately.

I've owned, so far:

Remington 788
Ruger 77 Mk 1
Browning A bolt
Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight
Browning A bolt II
Ruger 77 Hawkeye
Remington 700 XCR II

The Browning A-bolt II was easily the most accurate of these with the Model 70 in second place.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Although a good-looking rifle that is inaccurate is useless to me, looks (and a smooth working bolt) are important to me and, I'll guess, a majority of buyers.

IC B2

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hunting1

Buy a Remington if you want a project.

Maybe it was just luck, but my XCR II was accurate straight out of the box. My only complaint about it is that the recoil pad doesn't fit well to the stock, which seems common to all the 700s being produced today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just hate the newer Jap made Brownings and always have.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As afar as fit goes, they are all good enough unless you get a bad one which can happen with any of them.
Finish and accuracy are also plenty good enough in all of them. Most of them are availiable with different finishes to suit different tastes, and I have yet to see any of them can't shoot at least 1 1/2 MOA with some effort.
The big difference to me are design features and how those make for a good, reliable rifle. That means the CZ, Ruger and the Winchester M70's are in a class by themselves.
From there is gets down to the small but important details. I've found that open trigger designs, as long as they can be adjusted to a really nice break are highly desirable. If not the most important feature. That leaves out the current Winchester M70's unless they are fitted with the old style trigger.
I prefer the Winchester M70 safety in that it's much easier to use than the Ruger. Both of them lock the firing pin when on safe.
I don't know enough about the CZ's, but I do know that their 98 Mauser style action can be fitted with both an M70 style safety and trigger for the hard to please.
But, out of the box, it's Ruger. If Winchester ever mends their ways and goes back to their older style trigger, it would be No.1 in a factory rifle as far as I'm concerned. E

E
E
Interesting. I have been looking at a couple A-bolt II's in ought-six wood classic unfired. The action seemed perfect and fit and finish are good but a 22" barrel and a thin one at that? For some reason I find that odd, unfamiliar and irritating. Especially with all my & most manufactured ammo ballistics,my holdover scope, and other data at 24"-26". Probable wait times for accurate group testing seem likely. Strange to me and for some reason I keep wondering if I should I walk or run? My first post here and I am enjoying some good posts with great points. Look forward to learning from you marksmen and experienced riflemen...Happy New Year from the SA Texas area.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Really like my Browning x-bolt. 7-08 of course. The only thing I am not crazy about is the very modern looks. Other than that its about perfect. Fits me well. Always under MOA. I like the way the rings mount to reciever. 4 instead of 2 screws. Trigger? yea man nice! Mine has the Duratouch composite stock. The coating is pretty "grippy". When I bought the gun I questioned the durability of the coating on stock. It has held up very well.

A man's got to know his limitations!
IC B3

E
E
Modern but Kool

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If it isn't a 700 then is isn't any good...........at least in your feeble mind!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just bought a Sako A7 stainless in 7mm-08 from a forum member.
The A7 is a close cousin of the Tikka Lite and shares the same barrel mfg.

For the past twenty years I have owned one variation or another of the Remington 700 Mt. Rifle. Just got back from the indoor range and I am very impressed with the A7. The trigger is excellent out of the box, I cant say that about any of the 700's I have come across.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been watching this thread with much interest. I recently had the same question, which is the best today?

I have shot a Tikka 300 WM - liked it but felt it was not up to what I wanted out of a rifle. It ended up being my second choice. It is a darn fine rifle for the cash.

The Ruger's disappointed me, period. And I like Ruger.

The Remington's impressed me but only the higher end ones. In shooting a Sendero and SPS accuracy was as to be expected. Still have to put them at number three.

For fit, finish, accuracy, trigger, and use - the Winchester Mod 70 SC did it for me.

Browning, CZ, and others did not make the test as just not interesting enough.

I have been a fan of Winchester's for a long time so it did not surprise me to find that's what I ended up with. What did surprise me was how much rifle you get for your buck. The same can be said for the Tikka.

Now you can spend more money for a hunting rifle and go Kimber or Sako but I was just looking for a gun that could take the abuse of hunting and the Oregon desert. Really the way the stock fit and the trigger are what sold me but the rest of the package is what sets it apart.

Last edited by elkhunter130; 01/03/13.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

If it isn't a 700 then is isn't any good...........at least in your feeble mind!!!

And in my feeble, uninformed, biased mind, that would be Mauser.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Lots of good rifles out there. Jap made Brownings just ain't one of them. I can see they appeal to young kids with monster trucks. Serious shooters and hunters should buy something serious.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The questions I ask myself on a new rifle purchase are:

1. Does it fit me?
2. Does the trigger break like glass?
3. Can I slip a $5 bill down to the action in the barrel channel?
4. Can I afford it? laugh
5. Do I nned it? blush

No, no, no. You must use a $100 for this test!!! smirk

And question 5 is irrelevant.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The questions I ask myself on a new rifle purchase are:

1. Does it fit me?
2. Does the trigger break like glass?
3. Can I slip a $5 bill down to the action in the barrel channel?
4. Can I afford it? laugh
5. Do I nned it? blush

No, no, no. You must use a $100 for this test!!! smirk

And question 5 is irrelevant.

If I knew what 'nned' was, I'd agree with you... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My tastes run to Waffenfabrik Mauser, Oberndorf Mauser, 1950's era Brno 2, 5, 465, 21, 47, and early Sako, Browning,and LSA series Tikka...and at a pinch, '70s/'80s Remington 40XBR.

But you fellows should all chase the new shiny stuff because it is so much better made and fitted.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Eremicus - haven't ALL these designs shown themselves to be reliable? The 700s had that AD problem but with the new trigger that is fixed, so they're all good. I prefer the tang safety of the Brownings, myself but they're all okay.

Edjk - I am hunting the final days of the season not too far from you. Pipe Creek, to be exact. Lots of rifles come with 22" barrels, not just Brownings.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.