Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

"It is intended to fill the gap between the Remington Model 770 and Model 700 SPS, and it is being built in America's largest rifle manufacturing facility located in Mayfield, Ky.

The 783 has a proprietary cylindrical receiver with a minimally sized ejection port. Both features add to the rigidity of the action. All 783s, regardless of caliber are fitted with either a 22- or 24-inch magnum contour barrel, which is attached via a barrel nut system similar to that used on Savage rifles and the Marlin X7 series of bolt-actions. Two Model 700 front scope bases can be used for scope mounting, but integral scope mounts will be available from Remington. Another nice feature is the bolt, which has dual, opposing locking lugs, a 90-degree throw and a sliding plate-style extractor that is more similar to a Sako or M16 extractor than the one used on the Remington 700.

The stock is synthetic and has an ergonomic appeal with both the trigger guard, and front and rear sling swivel studs molded in. It is attached to the barreled action with two screws that pass through pillars to ensure a free-floated barrel. And, to diminish felt recoil, a Remington SuperCell recoil pad is a standard feature.

The 783 also has a new consumer adjustable trigger, which leaves the factory set at 3.5 pounds. This trigger, which Remington calls the CrossFire Trigger System, is similar in appearance to the Savage AccuTrigger and the Marlin Pro-Fire Trigger; it has a center lever that locks the trigger until it is fully depressed. It is indeed a very nice trigger, and broke and felt, dare I say, as clean as a Timney trigger.

A detachable box magazine is also standard. The magazine fits flush with the bottom of the stock and the magazine release, which is recessed, is located at the front of the magazine well. The magazine was easy to load and cartridges fed into the chamber just as smoothly.

Initially, the model 783 will be available in three long-action cartridges: .270 Win., 30-06 Sprg. and 7 mm Rem. Mag., and one short-action cartridge: .308 Win. According to Fink, by mid 2013, additional long- and short-action chamberings will be available, as will rifles with stocks sized for shooters with smaller statures."

So much for my hopes of an 8-twisted .260 Rem in a Mountain SS for $650.....

RLTW
HR IC

U
UMT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Here is the scoop on Remington�s newest rifle.

http://brycetowsley.com/hunting/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
another POS from BIG GREEN...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington's newest bolt-action rifle is the Model 783. The "7" in the model designation comes from the 700 line of rifles, the "8" is the number of days to design it, and the "3" is for the three days it took to build it...

They needed to fill that huge gap between $300 and $450...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Laughin'...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by UMT
Here is the scoop on Remington�s newest rifle.

http://brycetowsley.com/hunting/

Good to see you posting. Hope to pick up a copy of your book soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That flat bolt "knob" is just about the tackiest thing I have seen lately.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they wanted to fill the gap why not a 6.5 lb rifle.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, nice write up! Always enjoy your articles!

Ted
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rifle
another POS from BIG GREEN...

Yeah - this (from the article): "Premium Magnum Contour Barrel." LMAO.. Factory barrels from Rem (and many others) cost the company about $25-40; hardly a 'premium' anything..

Oh, and they're usin' the Savage barrel nut theme.. It appears to me this is a 710 with lipstick and fingernail polish..

I'll pass..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should have read further... Steelhead will LOVE this part:

"This gun could be improved greatly with a three-position, bolt locking safety."

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They needed to fill that huge gap between $300 and $450

Sarcasm noted. Like I mentioned above, you can get a Rem 700 at Academy for $379. A POS Rem 770 is $279-$299. Are people that cheap/stupid (yes)??? Heck, the Marlin XS/XL-7 filled that gap!!! Why do they need this piece of garbage??? If they had to, they could have put that same stupid Ruger-Savage American-Axis stock on it (the Marlin x7)and saved thousands/millions in development costs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just had my commode in the master bath pulled and reinstalled due to a broken flange. Better use of money for where I want to [bleep] than this "thing" from Remington/Marlin/S&W/T-C.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by NathanL
Why the race to the bottom? Are these guns selling that well? I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd because I personally havent' seen anyone shooting or hunting with the low cost models like the Ruger American, some of the savage models etc...

You can already buy a Remington 700 ADL at academy for $349 about one week of the month and $379 the other 3 weeks. I guess I am out of touch I thought that was pretty cheap. Cheap enough I have bought them for the action alone.

Yes, the cheap guns are flying off the shelves. The LGS where I sometimes moonlight sells the Ruger American 3 to 1 over the Hwakeye/77, and the Axis 5 to 1 over the regular Savage line. If we get an Axis combo in, they are gone the same day.

I have had a Savage 110 Combo with a mounted and boresighted Nikon Prostaff for under 550 bucks, and an Axis combo with a cheap SimmonTascoNell of some sort strapped to it for 50 less, and the Axis sells easier every time. I simply don't understand it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Seriously, just how much cheaper to produce can they get than the 700 action.

I have seen Bic razors with better build quality.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've see nothing wrong with the Model 700s.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I've see nothing wrong with the Model 700s.

Doesn't surprise me.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I guess I have a much different take on this than most of you.

I am all for competition, this is capitalism, it makes the breed better.

Look at how many great performing cheap guns we have now. It wasn�t that long ago that you had to spend a fair amount of cash to get a nice shooting gun. I paid $380 for my brand new savage 110 with accutrigger and a mounted scope. It may not win any competitive shooting matches, but it is perfectly fine at killing North American big game.

One thing to keep in mind; while I do like fancy guns, in my list of priorities I am a hunter way before I am a gun enthusiast. As long as it will hit Minute Of Deer at hunting ranges, durable, and reliable I am a happy man. I would rather have affordable, simple, functional gear and go fishing/hunting more than fancy stuff and never hit the woods. My money is not infinite.

I am going to hold off my judgments until we get more data on this new gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have found over the years,the rich folk can afford to buy cheap..
The current crop of hunters around here are "baby bankers",
who only hunt deer once or twice a year,buy this and other pieces of junk to cover their needs,it leaves them gas money for the BMW and beer that you can't spell....
They always like to brag about how "cheap" they bought something....

Last edited by rifle; 01/03/13.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rifle
I have found over the years,the rich folk can afford to buy cheap..
The current crop of hunters around here are "baby bankers",
who only hunt deer once or twice a year,buy this and other pieces of junk to cover their needs,it leaves them gas money for the BMW and beer that you can't spell....
They always like to brag about how "cheap" they bought something....

Buy well, buy to last.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 27 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.