Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I start looking out into the medium/long term goals, I see Bighorn Sheep staring me in the face and I want to start accumulating preference points if necessary.

I believe some states are purely draw only, but where applicable, what state do you all recommend to start building that up in with the hopes to hunt them anywhere from 5-15 years out?

Thanks for your input as always.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There isn't anywhere that will give you a great chance at drawing in 15 years.

If I were you, I would apply anywhere I could for bighorns and hope to chance that you draw.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you're "expecting" to hunt them in 5-15 years...you better think again.

I believe if you were to start applying in every state that offered sheep tags, you might draw one in your life-time.

I've applied for 32 years in Montana...all but 12 of them as a resident and havent drawn. Back in the day, some of the good units had 1:25 odds. No sheep tag.

I've applied for Wyoming for 13 years...no tag.

I've applied for Nevada for 11 years...no tag.

I've applied for Utah for 13 years...no tag.

I've applied for Colorado for 9 years...no tag.

I've applied for New Mexico....no tag.

But, I did draw a tag n AZ this year with 11 points.

The ONLY way to beat the odds is to apply and apply and apply. Most states at least offer a slim chance to draw, and who knows you could luck out and draw on your first application.

But, there isnt one state you can apply in that will assure you a limited quota permit via bonus/preference points in 15 years.

I encourage you to apply, but realistically you'll be lucky to draw 1-2 tags in a lifetime of applying if you're just starting now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska

1Minute
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Alberta and a whole lot of $.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did I see that Wyoming has a point system for Sheep? How many does it take?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuzzH

I believe if you were to start applying in every state that offered sheep tags, you might draw one in your life-time.

I've applied for 32 years in Montana...all but 12 of them as a resident and havent drawn. Back in the day, some of the good units had 1:25 odds. No sheep tag.

The ONLY way to beat the odds is to apply and apply and apply. Most states at least offer a slim chance to draw, and who knows you could luck out and draw on your first application.

But, there isnt one state you can apply in that will assure you a limited quota permit via bonus/preference points in 15 years.

I encourage you to apply, but realistically you'll be lucky to draw 1-2 tags in a lifetime of applying if you're just starting now.

thats alot of expense as well putting in for all those states. wonder what the total costs would be putting in for all those states over say 20 years.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
By the way...I know you are all just being realistic, but you really know how to knock the wind out of a guy's sails..... ;-)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
Did I see that Wyoming has a point system for Sheep? How many does it take?

Every year it takes one more point than the previous year in most areas we call this point creep. If you are just starting to apply, it might be better to just go into the random draw. I haven't figured out the numbers but I can't imagine getting max points any sooner than 50 years of applying.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The situation is bleak if you are just getting in. To hunt sheep you are going to need lots of time to wait to draw, lots of money to buy a hunt in Alaska/canada, or get really lucky in a random draw/raffle.

Even putting in everywhere costs a bunch.

Does Mt still have the unlimited units? I don't know anything about them other than folks say the odds of getting a ram are long.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guess I better either start looking for some 4 leaf clovers, clean up my living or start selling my body for side cash....None of which will probably get me very far.

Anyone want to kick me in the nuts while I lay here and pout?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can sling arrows, a sheep tag is easier to get in Colorado.

My last sheep tag was for Pikes peak and that was in 95. I had to wait 5 years to be able to apply again and I applied every year until last year.Figure I got too old to do it or goat hunting.

If you don't have to kill a monster,they are easier to draw in the Sangre De Christos, unit 9. You probably can take a 3/4 curl there,but a full curl would be hard to find

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BTW, you cant just put in for the random draw in Wyoming...they keep $100 of your money and you get a point whether you want one or not.

You can pay $100 and JUST get a point though.

If you're looking for your best chance at long odds...apply in Idaho, Oregon, and New Mexico. They dont have point systems and nobody has any better odds than you do. Trouble is, nobody has worse odds either.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

thats alot of expense as well putting in for all those states. wonder what the total costs would be putting in for all those states over say 20 years.

I agree...but considering Desert Sheep are fetching 50-60K...I dont think its that bad of a deal. Plus, the money spent goes towards a good cause...wildlife.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I agree...but considering Desert Sheep are fetching 50-60K...I dont think its that bad of a deal. Plus, the money spent goes towards a good cause...wildlife.
I concur. Even though the realistic view is bleak the only way you won't draw is to not put in. A pard in ID has drawn two sheep tags there in 5 years! Some of the ID units have reality good odds. However, the odds and difficulty of the hunt are directly proportional. Good odds mean very difficult hunts. However, if you do draw the price for an outfitter is way cheap compared to AK or Canada...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TX has a true lottery for a desert bighorn hunt. One ticket is $10 I believe, buy as many as you like. Probably not what you are looking for however. Tag winner gets fully guided hunt with biologist off of game unit animal is located on and includes taxidermy etc...I have no idea how many people enter but I'm guessing it's a ton.

Otto is my co-pilot.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Apply to many states each year and take your chances. Some states will hold your application fees but return your money if not drawn. Some states have preference points that can be accumulated. Other than that an expensive hunt in BC or Alaska might suffice. Good luck! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks All,
I do appreciate the brutal honesty on this. It helps to understand what I am up against.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I feel your pain.. i started looking at this a few years back and realized that with all the money it costs to apply year in and year out for probably the next 15-20 years its just as cheap to get a loan and go to Alberta. I know thats not what you want to hear....but realisticlly its your best shot at getting a Bighorn. You could look at the unlimitateds but its a hard hunt with super low sucess rate, given the fact that your basically 2 days drive from the huntin area you wouldnt be able to scout so you would need a guide. outfitters in thse units want a decent sum just to take you in and then a big trophy fee if you get one. it suck i feel your pain but i guess if they were easy no one would want them.

Last edited by fishdog; 01/04/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Side note, I wish that Montana would go to a once in a lifetime tag for sheep/goat/moose and the premium elk tags for those that draw and kill.

It wouldn't help tons but it would help...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (300_savage, 35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,878
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.