Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A body die only works the shoulder and the rest of the case down. By trying to use a fl die as a body die you'll still be working the entire case. And you'll have to plunge an expander into the case mouth after sizing either by putting your expander back into the die or using another die.
There are two things to really love about the collet die and the body die. First the collet die doesn't use lube....no lubing and no lube to clean out. Also the lee collet will most likely make much straighter brass than that redding neck die. Standard neck dies can pull the neck off center just like a fl die can.
Now the thing to love about the redding body die is if you left the shoulder too far forward and it takes a bit more effort to close the bolt than you'd like....you can actually run loaded ammo through the body die and push the shoulder back. They tell you not to do it but but it is no less safe than when you are seating bullets on heavily compressed powder loads. Basically you have a ton of flexibility AND fantastic concenticity with the collet and body die combo.

Last edited by kraky111; 12/27/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kraky....as usual....is correct

If you can, take the Redding neck die back and get the Lee Collet

Whenever possible I get the Lee Collet and Redding Body Die combination. If I am reloading for a caliber they don't make them in, then I will send a case to Lee and Redding to make the dies or get a bushing die (2nd choice) which works best if you get into outside neck turning but does a passable job.

Anything to get away from expander balls!

Last edited by woods; 12/27/12.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So I took the Redding neck die back, picked up the Lee Collet and then ordered a Redding body die. We'll see how it goes.

I also picked up a bottle of Retumbo. Next I will purchase a chronograph so I can have a better idea of what I have going on before I do something stupid.

On an interesting side note though, I used the Hornady headspace gauge to see what is going on with my Kimber 8400 in 325 WSM and my semi custom Model 70 in 7mm-08.

From brand new brass to fired brass in the 325 WSM, I only had .001 expansion. In the 7mm-08 it went about .014 from factory to formed and then only .002 from "my neck sizing technique copied from the Redding die set on my bench" to fired. Pretty pleased with those results and we'll see how things go. Amazing what you learn when you "have to" isn't it?

FH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fire Hawk since you have bought the Lee Collet on our recommendation, it is only right to say that it has to be used correctly or you may be disappointed. Many get a Lee Collet and attempt to use it like a conventional die, get disgusted and cuss it and those who recommended it.

You need to understand how it works in that the neck brass is squeezed by collets onto a solid mandrel with only approx 25 pounds of body weight on the press lever. Your press is not supposed to "cam over" with the lever all the way down like a regular die. You can not feel the sizing taking place but you can check by trying to insert a bullet into the neck after sizing.

Since the press does not need to cam over and you want to put jsut 25 pounds of weight on the lever, I adjust my Collet dies like this

First take the die and run the lock collar up to the top of the threads

[Linked Image]

When you thread it all the way into the press and raise the ram, that will put the lever at the most horizontal

[Linked Image]

and make it easier to gauge 25# or so on the lever. Once the brass is squeezed onto the mandrel it would not matter if you put 1000# on it, you will not compress the brass (you can only bend it not compress it) or the steel mandrel. You can however pop the aluminum cap on the die (safety feature) or break your press.

Lee sends mandrels that are only .002" below caliber and with a little springback you will only get approx .001" of bullet grip. That is a very light grip but Lee says that aids in attaining low concentricity. If you want a heavier bullet grip then you can order mandrels from Lee for $5.00 or so (minimum order may apply)

[Linked Image]

or others can tell you how to reduce the diameter of the mandrels by spinning in a drill against and abrasive surface (I never had any luck doing this)

It is a simple design. No lube needed. The mandrel is free floating (reach up under the die when threaded on the press and you can toggle the mandrel around by pressure on the decapping pin). Yields very good concentricity with low runout and very consistant neck ID's

BTW you should not have .014" on a 7-08, that should cause primer flattening and unbelted cases are supposed to have no more than .010" expansion at the shoulder. If the case moves too far forward in the chamber this will happen

[Linked Image]

Last edited by woods; 12/30/12.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by woods

BTW you should not have .014" on a 7-08, that should cause primer flattening and unbelted cases are supposed to have no more than .010" expansion at the shoulder. If the case moves too far forward in the chamber this will happen

[Linked Image]

Woods, I looked back at the data I recorded the other night and it was actually only .009 not the .014 I initially thought. Danger in doing math in my head at the end of a busy day I suppose.

Anyway, body die arrived today and I will begin shooting and trying to see the differences.

Thank you for your help.

FH

IC B2

R
R
am new use sniper.Thanks a data sniper.

Last edited by readeye; 01/03/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.