S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just looked at the Ruger web site.

Looks like the 9.3x62 is gone.

The 416 African is here.

The Alaskan is gone, seems to be replaced by the Guide Gun. I like the laminated stock.

The compact magnum is gone.

Funky new muzzle brakes on several rifles.

There is a 18.5" stainless Gunsite now.

Some other new models.

Last edited by ShortRifleFan; 01/03/13. Reason: Spelling!

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image]

I think that is the ugliest rife I have ever seen. And what the hell is Ruger thinking with the factory muzzle brakes?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I use to be a big Ruger fan.....

I found a wizard and asked him if he can remove a curse I had been living with for the last 20 years. The Wizard says, "What were the exact words that were used to put the curse on you." I say without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Sans muzzle brake, I like the way it would look. Plus, I need a shorter length of pull.

I would love to get this stock for my Ruger Alaskan. I am going see if I can order one from Ruger.

I don't care for the muzzle brake or flash hiders, myself.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They have a way of making something I almost want..........

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
All Ruger needed to do was have a Pic. of rifle sans brake. With thread protector in place what a sales killer! IMHO

And keep the nice looking Laminate stock Hawkeye style, as was sold on the LH 20" barreled SS 375 Ruger.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
i want one of the stainless gunsites!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Muzzle break and all I like the new guide gun very much. I'll be having one of those 375's and an SRH Alaskan in 480.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So did Ruger find a way to stop the 416 from cracking their stocks? I'm moderately concerned the answer to my question will be that darn muzzle break.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
i wish they had made that 30-06 last year. I'd have bought one. Ended up getting a 308 since the compact magnum was the only one with BU Irons

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like it was designed by a committee. Bill Ruger would be pissed. Look for one of the old African models in .416 Rigby instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been holding off buying the African until they put the 416 in a wood stock. Now that they have I'm not even half tempted to buy one. They can keep that muzzle break. I don't even care if it comes off and has a thread protector.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sevens
So did Ruger find a way to stop the 416 from cracking their stocks? I'm moderately concerned the answer to my question will be that darn muzzle break.

I checked out the video they had with the engineer behind the brake system, and they made it clear that the system was designed to operate in three modes, two of which the brake is inoperable. Based that you can easily remove the brake and cap the threads so that you'd not even know it was there, I don't think they would have engineered the stock to require a brake to avoid damage. Curious to see some upcoming reviews to determine if any production change was made to add strength for the 416 recoil.

I'm not a person to put brakes on my rifles for hunting, but I kinda like the idea in the Ruger brake system in that you can cap it to look and function like it was never there. But, you can add the brake if you wish when doing tons of load work and you'd like to save your shoulder a bit. Having the non-brake extension is a good idea for those who want to use the brake but may need to temporarily remove it while in the field due to noise issues. The extension keeps the same POI as the brake.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/15/13.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talked with the Ruger folks today and according to they the only change they made in the wood stock was the crossbolt and more relief in the inletting behind the tang.
I too bet that the brake was their main change to relieve the impact on the stock.

The good news though is that the stainless guide gun will soon also be chambered in the 416 as well as the 375.
And Nosler is now advertising loaded 375 Ruger ammo in their new catalog

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Looks like it was designed by a committee. Bill Ruger would be pissed. Look for one of the old African models in .416 Rigby instead.

Just happen to have one for sale smile and completely tuned by Mark Penrod, two scopes on Warne QD rings (Trijicon 1X4X24 and a Leupold VXIII 1.5X5X20) plus a bunch of new Norma and Hornady brass, dies, and a couple of boxes of Federal Cape Shock 400gr TSXs all in a Browning Travel Vault ready for Africa. Screw that hideous Ruger!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent some time at the Ruger booth at SHOT and from the comments from visitors I think the Ruger will continue to sell well.
They didn't get where they are by mis-reading the public ---- with a few notable exceptions sick

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think Ruger got where they are today because of Bill Rugers individual insight and willingness to follow his own taste and likes.

I have zero confidence in current Ruger management to grow or maintain the company in anyway like Bill. Product by committee or survey polls are no substitute for instinct and good taste. No flagship products. Plastic, laminate, bead blast finish, brakes and gimmicks.

I am sure there is money to be made catering to the absolute cheapest common denominator. Remington and Winchester made profits in the 1970,s but the guns were pretty crappy - zero pride in ownership stuff. And, thats now how Ruger got where it is today, both outclassing and fair pricing against the (corporate mentality) competition. A good value for sure and at least some classic good looking products. For every nice No1 or RSM safari bolt sold they added to company prestige and sold 100's ordinary guns.

Bill Ruger did like to try and sell his mil style stuff like mini-14/30 and 10/22 with M1 Carbine lines. Thats fine, its all part of the mix. I hate that look, but no problem because it used to be a big tent at Ruger. What I hate another buyer loves. Now its almost all poor taste (or same taste, some like it)in long arms. Only the No1 and some revolvers would interest me at this point.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Just watched Gun Blasts at the Shot Show video. The Ruger rep says the guide gun comes with a muzzle break and a separate weight (his term) you can put on in place of the break. It's for people who don't like the break. Says it will keep same point of aim that way. It also comes with a thread protector. I imagine for those that don't want either on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fourbore
I think Ruger got where they are today because of Bill Rugers individual insight and willingness to follow his own taste and likes.

Bill Ruger did like to try and sell his mil style stuff like mini-14/30 and 10/22 with M1 Carbine lines.

I disagree that Bill did not try to sell or capitalize on military styles.

Bill himself admitted that the similarity between his first pistol and the German Luger was no accident.
And the styling of the single-six along the lines of the 1873 Colt - which was a military arm.
Ot that his first 44 semi-auto was designed along the lines of the M-1 carbine, just as the Mini-14 was.

Bill appreciated fine firearms of all sorts

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
458, You need to re-read my post, or I need to edit. I said: "Bill did like" and "big tent"

I agree with you completely or you agree with me smile

Last edited by fourbore; 01/19/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.