Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I know I am going to get a million answers, but thought I'd ask anyway. I am relatively young to shooting and have only shot rifles and shotguns to date with an occasional .22 pistol. I am thinking about picking up a handgun for shooting and home protection. It will not be a CC weapon as a first handgun. I know very little of handguns and am looking for a solid semi auto handgun to start. I am told 45ACP is the caliber of choice, but would like to understand what manufacturers are overhyped, undervalued and offer the best value. How is the used market and what to look for.

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd get a 9mm that fits your hand. Since you're a new pistol shooter, you'll have to shoot quite a bit to become proficient. 9mm ammo is much cheaper than 45.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
agree

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I recomend you find a K frame s&w 38 such as a model 10 or 15. Easier to pearn to use and low recoil with plenty of juice to get the job done.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3rd UPhiker's advice... Both the fit your hand and the 9mm. One thing that can also help is getting a .22 trainer like the S&W M&P .22 for their 9mm/.40/.357 Sig &.45 M&P pistols or say an Advantage Arms Conversion Kit for the Glock Pistols... will help but not replace practice with the centerfire.

For centerfires had a nice 1911 and Browning Hi-Power years ago, I've got and had Glocks, have one S&W M&P and one Springfield XDs, a rather limited selection but I like the S&W M&P the best because of how it fits my hand for Woods carry or home defense, for concealed carry I like the XDs the best... someone else may feel a Glock or XD or brand'X' is the best thing since burnt toast. Will add that I have a couple of Kahr's... but I prefer a light rail for home defense. But mostly for 'Home' defense I use a shotgun... My boy's pump .410 if it's something in the chicken house and a Rem. 870 20 gauge or a 308 if it's something bothering the goats, pretty much sums up my home defense! For about $25 and an incredible pain in the hinder doing it I installed a tritium bead on the 20 gauge... best and cheapest upgrade I have ever made!

nate40's advice is good if you are receptive to a revolver... but I would get a 357 Mag. which you can shoot .38's in. Not sureif it's still the case, but last I checked the local mart had 38's & 357 ammo but no 9mm, 40 S&W or low cost (less than $25/box) 45 auto since the last run on ammo and guns started.

Jerry

Obligatory Photo... from a S&W M&P 22 Manual
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/03/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'd get a 9mm that fits your hand. Since you're a new pistol shooter, you'll have to shoot quite a bit to become proficient. 9mm ammo is much cheaper than 45.

I agree about the cost issue.....The other part, not so much...Then again, if it were all about cost and becoming proficient with an easy to handle pistol, we'd all start out on a black powder wheelgun.... whistle. If the OP chooses the right 45 it is more than managable and one can become very proficient with it. I'd also always suggest buying a good 22 like the Ruger mkII or Browning buckmark for practice and learning profieciency...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Buy a good quality 1911A1. You will be happy you did.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HUMMMMMM--I disagree.
For home defense and just plinking & shooting--for a first gun--Get a used S&W in .357.
You will learn to shoot it easier---less complicated, easier to clean, has GOOD power.
It will not be your lst.
A semi----under pressue and for beginning is not a good choice---IMO.
You do it your way.
I like anything over a 9mm for shootin folks---.38super, 9x23 but big holes are hard to deny.
Blessings

Last edited by williamlayton; 01/04/13.

TEXAS, by GOD
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Buy a Glock 22, kind of like a Lego set. You can get barrels to convert it to 9mm, 357 sig, and buy an upper to turn it into a 22lr.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W M&P, glock, springfield, sig, all good. Pick one that fits your hand, buy it , shoot it, be happy. I had em all, currently kept the m&p pro, love that gun. Fits me well.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If it were my kid asking this question I would tout him onto a decent 1911. Ruger, Kimber, Colt, or Springfield would all fit the bill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Were it me and was eventually going to get another handgun for self defence, I'd get a good 22 auto and shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot it some more.

My latest and all-time favorite is a Ruger SR 22.

Any of the Ruger 22 autos will work. The Browning Buckmark is also great.

Just find one that fits YOUR hand and that YOU like.

Virgil B.

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a Sig Moiquito, but have not shot it a whole lot. it fits me well and comes up nicely. I appreciate everyone's input.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KYFRED
I am told 45ACP is the caliber of choice, but would like to understand what manufacturers are overhyped, undervalued and offer the best value. How is the used market and what to look for.

As already stated, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and more than adequate.

As far as bang for the buck, the older Rugers (P95, P89) and the S&W 3rd gen guns (915, 5906, 5904, 6906, 5946, 6946) are excellent and often go for less than they're worth. If you shop patiently you should be able to turn them for what you paid or more if you want to move on.

Okay, now I see I was responding to an OP and not the latest post. Have fun.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/04/13.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd go with a 38 or 357 smith and wesson revolver for a first handgun.

NRA Patron
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glock 17 to start. Remember to be prepared to sell and swap based on what you discover on your own.

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Glock 17 to start. Remember to be prepared to sell and swap based on what you discover on your own.

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Travis

Oddly, that was my most recent purchase

Guess I do schit bass ackwards

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KYFRED
I know I am going to get a million answers, but thought I'd ask anyway. I am relatively young to shooting and have only shot rifles and shotguns to date with an occasional .22 pistol. I am thinking about picking up a handgun for shooting and home protection. It will not be a CC weapon as a first handgun. I know very little of handguns and am looking for a solid semi auto handgun to start. I am told 45ACP is the caliber of choice, but would like to understand what manufacturers are overhyped, undervalued and offer the best value. How is the used market and what to look for.
A Smith and Wesson M&P would be a good choice. They are the latest technology, very simple, especially if you get one without a safety. The latter makes it crucial that you are very careful. Get some training regardless of what gun you choose. The Smith comes in the three most popular autopistol rounds, 9, 40 and 45 ACP. They will recoil about like you expect, 9 the least to 45 the most. In the top loadings, there won't be much difference in stopping power between the rounds.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
A few more points---I don't see an auto as being more complicated and harder to clean than a revolver. Also, it's much easier to master a striker fired pistol's trigger than a DA one on a revolver. Since he's planning on using it for HD, he'd have to since SA isn't really recommended.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd normally suggest $500 worth of used S&W Model 19 and a ton of practice with .38 Spl. ammo. But, if you insist on a self loading pistol, then I'd invest that same $500 in a used 9mm CZ 75 or an early Ruger, also in 9mm.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (325wsm1, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.