#7268354 01/04/13
P
ppfd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thinking about a cap for my Tacoma.
Looks like Leer and ARE are the major players here, and they look similar.

Whats the average cost for cap, and does that include paint to match the truck?

Truck has a sliding rear window, will I loose the "breeze" with the cap? Figure it will really cut it down.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Retail for a painted cap will run $1500+. Look around for a used one and get it painted. I paid $500 for my ARE impulse that is on my Tacoma.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking for a used on for an old chevy, seems like you used to be able to find them along the road

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
P
ppfd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
$1500 dam!

Never thought about the used route, thanks!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are buying a new Taco, go through the Cotsco auto program and buy a painted to match cap at cost.

I did

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I HIGHLY recommend a cap that's somewhat taller than the cab. You wouldn't believe how useful that extra space can be.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've always had a Leer. I don't see any reason to change. Mine have all been around $1K-1200, installed, w/matched paint, LED light, sliding side windows(current one has windows that open, and a rear slider.

The model I've purchased is the 100R. A middle of the road option for cost and added options.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used is a good way to go but make sure it's complete. Windows and such are hard to find and can be very expensive.

I busted the liftgate window on my shell and the cheapest price I found for just the glass was $175.00. It had to be cut, ground to fit (round corners), and then sent out to be tempered. One place wanted $375.00 for a complete window with the frame.

If you live in rainy climate one thing to look for is a liftgate that doesn't allow water to run in the bed when you open it or have it flipped up. Some shells have a drip rail that prevents this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last two I have had were Leers, but I am planning to go with a SnugTop on my new Tundra. They cost a little more, but they definitely fit the Toyota trucks better.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Leer and would not buy another. The main problem is the rear window flashing is put on with double sided sticky tape.In hot weather it comes undone and your flasing falls of.I finally took it off an replaced it with a tubular pipe insulation.
I would also buy a cap that has two rear latches instead of the center one.
If you garage your truck and decide to get a cap taller than your truck.Make sure it will thru you garage doors.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I wanted a cap for my Dakota and after getting prices of $1300 on new I spent a month watching craigslist, found a used sportsman 50 miles away for $300 in great shape. Planned to have the cap painted grey to match the truck but it was white and looked old school like back when the early glass caps came out and were white or black.

Sure makes it easy to find in a parking lot.

Ted
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered an ARE Z series for my13 Taco. $2175 out the door. They aren't cheap.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have owned Snugtop, Leer and now an A.R.E. I went with A.R.E.'s value series for the latest one. Same construction/warranty as the rest of their line, but the windows are not as fancy. So far, so good. It was about $1,100 out the door. Have a newer Dodge, so buying used didn't work out. My last Leer was fairly expensive, but I was not impressed with the one-piece rear window. It didn't seal or latch very well. My A.R.E. has dual latches and now that I have that, I would never go back to a single latch again. Much more secure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have an ARE shell on my Chev. 1st shell that I have owned with 4 tonneau covers on other trucks. Really like the shell, cab high although I wish it was higher, sliders on the side, tinted windows. Have slept in it six or seven times in both winter and fall with a cot and just on the bed/floor, hard to drag my old back in and out ever the tailgate.

P
ppfd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Got some prices today at the WV H&F show, Leer and ARE were there.

Cheapest was $1,000, might look used first. I appreciate all the info! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Craigslist is a good place to look, search under some off the wall keywords.

I picked mine up on the side of the road in Kansas, paid all of 75 bucks for it. It's a faded out red and my truck is green with a blue tailgate, one of these days I might paint it. Doesn't cost much more to go first class!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppfd

Truck has a sliding rear window, will I loose the "breeze" with the cap? Figure it will really cut it down.

I went with ARE for my 2007 tacoma LB DC, after two tries with the high end ARE cap and the wrap down sides didnt match, and one side didnt cover the bedrail plastic. I got the cheaper one that doesnt wrap down. Paid $800-$900 dont remember the exact # but less than $900 with free carpet upgrade four years ago. Glad i got the cheaper one actually i like the look on the tacoma.

None of the ARE caps matched the contour at the front of the bed so they dont seal paticularly well. The caps are flat at the bottom and so there is a large gap they have tofill with rubber.

Sean
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ppfd

Had a leer on my last truck(ford f-250) not real impressed with the quality.Bought a ranch brand for this truck(ford F-150)have to say the quality is better for about $500 less than the leer brand cap.coobie

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ive had better luck with a ARE, then the LEER...

Leer has chipped on the outside, the lock has been fixed...
A couple of other little things..

ARE is what i will go back to on next truck...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a Jeraco.Had Leer in the past Jeraco better cap.Compares to ARE for less money at least better prices in my area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,708
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.