Print Thread
Hop To
M
Maxx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Is anyone using a sythetic thumbhole stock? I have held the Christensen a few times and it feels very nice- I have a rem 700, and this is a mountain rifle not a bench rifle.

I see B&C has a thumbhole- anyone have experience?
thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it ain't ambidextrous (many aren't) I wouldn't touch it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been tempted to try one, but haven't got around to it yet. I believe TOBYJOETRUBY used them once upon a time and may still. You might give him a PM if he doesn't chime in.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Manners makes a nice looking one. You might also search some recent Manners posts for pics.

http://mannersstocks.com/tactical/

The MCS-GAT and MCS-T5 both appear to be ambidextrous. I don't know about weight, and I've not had a Manners. But they have a good reputation.

Recent search:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7215957/1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yup... love the GAT and T5 and T5A

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
T5A is right handed with a thumb support. T5 is ambi. The T5 is a great stock for a varmint rig, but nowhere near lightweight enough for a sporter. The adjustable version adds more weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every thumbhole stock I've held has been slow to get into compared to a conventional grip stock.
Should be fine for varmints, tactical, and bench work but for a quick pointing hunting rifle not the best choice IMO.
Probably why you don't see many wingshooting shotguns sporting a thumbhole stock.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's not for everyone, but they sure do feel good shooting offhand.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Love my T5A.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't have any synthetic thumbhole stocks, but I love my wooden ones for some applications. They are heavy and the way the grip extends down seems to make it uncomfortable to carry on a strap and doesn't balance well when carryed one handed.

IMHO they just don't make for good walk around guns. Off a bench or shooting out of a blind they are great. Prone off of bipods they are exceptional.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B3

M
Maxx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
thank you all very much for this information.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harry Lawson Co makes a lightweight wooden thumbhole. Many consider it the original thumbhole. McMillan offers a fiberglass copy of it that John Lazzaroni had built. It is a little known fact that Randy Lawson, the late Harry Lawson's son, designed the prototype for the McMillan Lazzeroni thumbhole as well as the McMillan Lazzeroni Sporter. Randy Lawson also offers a fiberglass version made at his shop.

The Lawson thumbhole is different than the clunky chunks with a hole for your thumb offered by other stockmakers. This design was built to be light and deal with substantial recoil. Note the thin web on the top of the stock which goes straight back. The grip is canted and the recoil pad is flared to a wider width at the rear. It has a crossbolt safety which is the only practical way to place a safety with this design.

Here is a pic of a lefthand Rem 700
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

spelling corrected....

Last edited by Azshooter; 01/06/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm prolly a dissenter,in that I've long had a sweet spot for a good T-hole...but good T-holes is few and far.

Harry do get credit for unveiling the Cochise back in The Day,though it's hardly an ergonomic wonder. Cloward's version smokes it in all regards,but Harry largely set the stage. One will note however,that most Walnut T-holes are Range Queens as a best case scenario,if not outright Safe Queens. They typically exhibit gaudy finishes and are oft replete with windage adjustable bases and loudeners,all of which is indicative of being Show insteada Go.

I've broken more T-holes than any other stock design,despite my having far fewer of them as percentages go and their longsuit being counter productive to light done right. You can [bleep] nearly eyephuck a Sporter-esque laminate and break it. Start increasing barrel contour and adding meat to the stock and a good T-hole will reliably do nice things. I like 'em because they help to deal with recoil management,which in turn helps in chasing both trace and impact. They are best,when affixed with flush cup swivels upon their off-bolt side.

If I'm gonna T-hole,it's due to ergo's and ambi do not interest me there. Having run the gamut from 22LR to 300Super in a good sized herd of T-holes,it's the McMillan Annie Sillywet T for me. Still need to build a fast twist 223AI slammed into same,for a right proper hind legged rifle.

Enjoyed the shout out to Laz',with the repeated botched spelling of their name. For conversation,it's "Lazzeroni" and their T-hole is a Goat [bleep] in the grand scheme of things. Cheer up,I've shot it quite a bit.

[Linked Image]

Prolly like T-holes best on 10/22's.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a HS precision sporter -it's not a mountain stock -around 40oz. I think.
They're great for shooting offhand -off of shooting sticks etc. but when working up loads -bench or prone -not so much.
The round spot below the pistol grip area runs over the back of my hand when using a rear bag -leaves a bruise after several rounds from a 25-06.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mr Holland produces an ambidex t-hole gel coat. One of the best I have ever used. Unsure of what contours he inlets for but mine is for a 40-x adl style HB.
I like it!
Bill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,751
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.