Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Please refrain from posting any more photos of big mule deer. It profoundly impact my nervous system, resulting in concontrollable twitching, drooling and a sudden urge to spend money applying for tags with very low chances of being drawn.

On the other hand, if any good mulie guides/outfitters need some ink and can talk "discount," I'm your huckleberry.

And no, I have absolutely no shame... when it comes to mule deer.

No schitt, that first page was devastating.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Laguna
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I'm going to do that, sir. I didn't think about next year and me hunting California.

I'm sure I could go out during fall if I have the time off to chase a tom, some doves, and pheasant with the GF.

I'll put in for an X tag. Who knows? I might be the lucky one that gets picked.

Do you realize Laguna is full of chit?

I noticed he is new... Came around since I've been off.

Winnie1300,

Check this out & tell me who's full of chit.

Rancho is loco for a reason.

I checked the link for Mono Basin Outfitters. That pic was taken in the foothills southeast of Bridgeport west of Bodie. The pasture land in the left side of the photo gave it away. A lot of the big bucks are taken from the foothills like the ones in the photo. Also, there is no X-11 zone in Kali. X-12 is a very desirable zone and not easy to draw unless you're lucky enough to pull a random tag. I drew that tag around a 10 years ago, unfortunately I didn't get one.

Last edited by tdbob; 01/05/13.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
tdbob,

It's been many a year since I've hunted CA. I think the last tag I drew was in the 80's for X-4. After years of not drawing, I have concentrated on Rocky Mountain states. Utah used to be a sure bet. Now you need preference points to get drawn there.

While the biggest deer I have ever seen have been in Wyoming & Utah, Colorado, too, CA has some huge bucks.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
That's why I keep putting in for G-3. A fantasy pick, if drawn and with winter weather there's a good chance of getting something huge coming out of Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hi tdbob,

CA does have huge mule deer. But it's hard as hell in a state with 30+ million people to draw a tag where one has a chance at a trophy. That's why I've given up. It's too frustrating.

I fish in the Eastern Sierra. While I don't see a lot of bucks during summer months, I have seen a few that I wish I could hunt. There are some bruisers in the Eastern Sierra. But on the whole, mule deer are bigger in Rocky Mountain states.

Some 30 years ago CA was supposed to commit to improving the quality of its trophy herd, but as far as I know, there's not a single CA mule deer in B&C. I'm sure CA's mountain lion hunting ban has something to do with it. And God knows, bears in the Eastern Sierra don't get 500lbs & better dining only on trout.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It's very frustrating here in Kali,too many libtards. We'd have terrific lion hunting if it was allowed. I love the eastern Sierra for the great trout fishing, backpacking and skiing. We still have pretty good bird hunting, but you're right that the state has done nothing to improve herd quality. A lot of the eastern Sierra is getting too developed that is impacting the wintering grounds for the mule deer and affecting the hunting. I love my state; the people on the other hand, not so much. Seems most of my big game hunting for the last decade is now done out of state in Utah. Before I leave this state, I'll get a lifetime hunting license and continue to put in for G3 mule deer, big horn sheep and Tule elk tags, all of which would be like winning the lottery.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,884
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.