Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Is one really head and shoulders above the other? 120$ for a Sako extractor installed seems cheap enough but is it really worth it.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've not had a Sako extractor installed, but the most common answer i've read is to leave the factory extractor in place unless you are going to make a .338 Lapua. the Sako extractor requires a cut that will inturupt one of the 'three rings of steel' and a case rupture can blow the Sako extractor right out of the action

i have one M700 on it's third barrel, and another on it's fourth, both are wearing their original factory extractor

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would never do a Sako because of the danger. If you ever have a problem with the Remington extractor, look at the much safer M16 extractor.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
308? Totally unnecessary. Belted mag? Probably a good idea to use the M16. In between? Your guess is as good as mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back before the readily available replacement bolts from companies like PT&G, I installed a [bleep] load of Sako and M-16 extractors in Rem 700 bolts, and while there were times when doing so made perfect sense, today, with the availability of replacement bolts sporting working factory extractors from PT&G, I would direct my customer in that direction before making a change to one of the key safety designs of the super strong Remington 700 receiver. If a person is ever going to have a case head separation, for their sake, let it be with a stock 700 bolt head.

FWIW, I wouldn't have any heartburn using a Sako or M16 style extractor in my own stuff, simply because I don't load over my head or while distracted, and I don't shoot other peoples stuff in my weapons.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My self I do not like the stock Remington extractor. It is not much more than a finger nail at best and it is a very poor design in my opinion. I do use and install many SAKO extractors in 700's and other Remington models. How can it be dangerous in a Remington when it isn't in the parent SAKO! This same design extractor is used in many other rifles like Howa's Weatherby Vanguards Smith and Wesson 1500's etc. It is even used by Remington in the 700's chambered for the 338 Lapua.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Howa uses a pinned m16 type extractor, not a sako!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
My self I do not like the stock Remington extractor. It is not much more than a finger nail at best and it is a very poor design in my opinion. I do use and install many SAKO extractors in 700's and other Remington models. How can it be dangerous in a Remington when it isn't in the parent SAKO! This same design extractor is used in many other rifles like Howa's Weatherby Vanguards Smith and Wesson 1500's etc. It is even used by Remington in the 700's chambered for the 338 Lapua.

Sir,
You may want to research your info. How many folks have actually had a problem with a factory receiver? Sako has a way that blocks their extractor from coming down the raceway in case of a failure. You may want to research this also. Had a friend recently that had a Sako blow out the right raceway and went through a metal door jamb behind him. Pat built this rifle for his girl friend, who was left handed. If she were shooting it, the extractor would be embedded in her brain. Pat being a right hand shooter was only blasted with powder and fortunately with shooting glasses, he didn't loose vision in his right eye.
If you guys insist on using them, go ahead. I know you have all been using them for over 20yrs with no problems, but remember you read it here when you have an accident. The Sako extractor lines right up with the rh raceway when cocked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can someone explain how the Sako extractor can exit the rear of the action via the right bolt lug raceway, when the raceway is completely blocked by the bolt handle ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are there aftermarket bolts available for left hand M700s?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have installed Sako/M-16 style extractors for many years and never had a complaint or problem. After market bolt makers like PTG offer Sako or Remington extractors so they must believe in them as well. Over the years I have seen stock Remington extractors that are bent distorted or have completely come out of the bolt, or they
just don't grab the case anymore. Stock Remington is not a good system.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do a search on Benchrest .com on this subject.

You just might change your mind.

Glenn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul39
Are there aftermarket bolts available for left hand M700s?

Paul

Yes, PT&G offers left handed bolts.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
PT&G recommends the M16 extractor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Marine Corps uses the factory extractor on their rifles. Needless to say, they can't afford to have any feeding issues. If the extractor was a weak point in the system, they would not be using it.

Truth be known, I think the biggest problem folks have with the factory extractor is that they don't know how to pre-adjust it prior to installing it. Particularly the riveted ones. It's an acquired skill.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Remington 760 uses the same extractor as the 700. I knew a guy who had a 760 which appeared to have a rough chamber. To extract the spent shell, he frequently grasped the forend with both hands and placed the butt on the ground or against a tree to get the shell out. The extractor never failed. It is a good system which is only foiled by poor quality control.
I have seen Sako extractors which were blown out of place in Sako rifles but they were kept in the receiver ring by the rib which Sako has for that purpose.
I have Sako extractors on a couple of BR rifles and don't feel real nervous about it but I've been thinking of installing a block to retain the extractor in case it jumps ship. I shoot left-handed and don't need a hole in my forehead (there are those who think it wouldn't make much difference) GD.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another question about aftermarket bolts. Is it ever necessary to "tune" the camming surfaces?

I know that out of spec camming surfaces is an occasional problem that most shooters are unaware of.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This Remington extraction issue keeps popping up on one forum or another. I have never undrstood it. The Remington's that I have all extract every time. Some are nearly 40 years old and have been shot while hunting and at the range in all kinds of weather with various loads and brass; handloads and factory. In fact, the only extraction issue that I have had has been with a Mauser and they are suppose to be the 'hold grail' of actions.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you guys talking about the Sako extractor coming out of the ejection port or the rear of the action on the 700 conversion ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Are you guys talking about the Sako extractor coming out of the ejection port or the rear of the action on the 700 conversion ?

Fragmenting and coming out through the ejection port. Like GD was saying, the guide rib on the Sako bolt physically blocks and prevents the escape of a blown or fractured extractor. Unfortunately, sometimes the guide rib keeper breaks, physically blocking and preventing the bolt from opening. Fortunately, there are folks who can drill and pin these guide ribs so as to prevent them from moving forward and locking up the bolt. grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,904
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.