Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 9mm
I am pretty new to pistols. I really like my XDM 9mm 5.25. It fits like a glove, breaks down quickly for cleaning and is crazy accurate. I also really like the adjustable/fiber optic sights. My buddy bought a S&W M&P 9mm, also a very nice gun.

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
I'd normally suggest $500 worth of used S&W Model 19 and a ton of practice with .38 Spl. ammo. But, if you insist on a self loading pistol, then I'd invest that same $500 in a used 9mm CZ 75 or an early Ruger, also in 9mm.
Why when you can get a new Glock, XD or M&P for about that amount? He wouldn't have to learn the DA/SA transition, either.

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I looked at the Glock 17 and the M&P today. The G3, M&P and G4 are all within about $80 of eachother. The guy helping me ended up being a co-worker that was teaching the CCL class today. He steered me toward the 9mm on cost of ammo and it being a NATO round. He prefered the glock due to ease of cleaning and performance. The safety became the issue. glock has none and M&P does. His point was to keep nothing in the chamber and you ae OK. The G4 glock has three clips and is only $40 more at $525. Both felt good and lighter than anticipated.

I appreciate the input.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Laguna
Buy a good quality 1911A1. You will be happy you did.

I agree with this advice. You will eventually migrate to this pistol. 18-year old Marines, men and women, are taught to shoot this handgun efficiently, so there is no reason why any young sheep dog shouldn't start out with the time tested 1911 .45ACP.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by KYFRED
The safety became the issue. glock has none and M&P does. His point was to keep nothing in the chamber and you ae OK.
Terrible advice. Keep your booger picker off the trigger until you're on target and you don't need no stinkin' "safety".

IC B2

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Okie: I am a lot of things, a yound sheep dog is not one of them. I was introduced to guns via my in-laws some 25 years ago and did not really start hunting into about 16 years ago. Prior to that, I would shoot with them, but always took teh camera to the woods. I am probably more an old dog looking for a new trick. thanks for teh input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
I'd normally suggest $500 worth of used S&W Model 19 and a ton of practice with .38 Spl. ammo. But, if you insist on a self loading pistol, then I'd invest that same $500 in a used 9mm CZ 75 or an early Ruger, also in 9mm.
Why when you can get a new Glock, XD or M&P for about that amount? He wouldn't have to learn the DA/SA transition, either.
In his first post KYFRED said he was looking for "a solid semi-auto to start". The all-steel CZ 75 is just that; built-like-a-tank solid. Since the avowed purpose is home defense and not concealed carry, the added weight of the CZ is of absolutely no concern, nor is its over-all size. Since the OP will have to "learn" whatever handgun he acquires from scratch, the SA/DA issue is of zero importance. Practice, which is the key to the successful use of any defensive handgun should be the number one consideration, and for that reason I'd recommend a 9mm pistol or a .38 Spl. revolver over any other handgun/caliber combination.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would pick up an XDM 4.5 and compare it to the S&W and Glock. Not necessarily trying to steer you that way but I think it is worth looking at also. I can't imagine any pistol being easier or quicker to strip than an XDM and it holds 19 rounds.

K
KYFRED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Will do. I looked at one, but it was a compact and not comfortable in my hand. I will wait for the larger one. thx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is all about the best fit in YOUR hand, NOT your buddies. I too have had all the major brands...it is worth it to get one that fits well. It will give you an excuse to go to your local gun shop and check out a bunch of guns!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you insist on an auto I would recommend a Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm. I prefer the mid sized G19-23 to the larger or smaller ones.

A Glock is easy to use and care for and quite popular. as a result, there are lots of accessories are available and lots of trained armorers around.

My youngest son bought a Glock 23 last year and plans on getting a 9mm conversion barrel and a .22 upper to go with it.
While he really likes it he finds his SP-101 to be easier for him to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KYFRED
Will do. I looked at one, but it was a compact and not comfortable in my hand. I will wait for the larger one. thx.

I don't care for the compact XDM's either. And to be fair, I am not interested in compacts. If you get a gun with interchangeable grips, it might be worth trying each grip size out as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred, you stated your preference for a .45ACP. Go straight to the 1911 and learn that pistol system and you will never look back. Trust me on this one.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Fred, you stated your preference for a .45ACP. Go straight to the 1911 and learn that pistol system and you will never look back. Trust me on this one.

And find yourself a Model A Ford to go with it. BEST CAR EVER MADE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm in a platform you like. I would recommend Glock, HK, Sig, and CZ. There are several more platforms that are suitable but these happen to be my preference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the best bang for the buck deparment, take a close look at the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm. It's a solid copy of the Walther design. These guns are very reliable, easy to shoot and don't cost much at all.

For a few hundred more, consider the S&W M&P, Springfield XD, or the Glock. All three make models in 9mm, .40, and .45 and all three are world class excellent.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
KYFRED, OP another 2 cents worth
I will stray a bit from all the recommendations, And through in the Beretta 96 .40 S&W. Large frame, simple operation, quality build, The Beretta 96 40S&W and 92 9mm do not lend them selves to be easy to CCW. It will be a bit more costly to shoot but last time there was a run on everything firearm the only ammunition on shelves was 40 S&W, Also quite a few can be found as law enforcement trade ins These usually not pretty but are very dependable and where usually carried alot and shot little. They are hammered fired and can be found D/A double action only, or D/A-S/A first round double action and follow up rounds single action.
Also with the 96 you can install a complete 9mm slide, along with a magazine change and shoot 9mm? And if lucky enough to find the conversion kit for 22LR they also work.
carl

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,785
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.