-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take those worthless POS Talley's offen your hands.....

grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I have an update and it's kinda funny, if you can laugh at your own idiocy that is... laugh

I do a lot of calling when I can and I'm really hooked on calling coyotes. I do pretty well. I use a Homemade El Cheapo caller I built and put together my own calling sequences and loaded them on the call. I also use hand calls but besides the howler, they're all closed reed calls. The Tally-Ho is my first open reed purchase. I'm pretty good with an elk diaphram, duck call and just about any call. With the Tally-Ho, I just needed a few minutes of practice while watching Predator Quest to be able to duplicate his sequences.

Well, I went out to a spot around noon that I haven't been to this year to try the new call. I worked up into the area into the wind and came over the hill where I usually make my stand. I glassed around and didn't see anything. I sat down against a cedar tree, set the rifle on the tall bipod and broke out the Tally-Ho. I got about halfway into the first sequence and saw a coyote running in at about 200 yards. I didn't even have my bipod adjusted right and the rifle was setting on my right side. I reached over to get the rifle slowly and noticed another coyote running in at 80 yards right in front of me!

The Tally-Ho scored!

The close coyote saw me moving to get into postition to shoot, stopped and started away. I put the crosshair on him and jerked the trigger only to hear "click, FIZZZZZZZZZzzzz"

I jacked the round out and tried to chamber another while giving the dog a howl to stop him. The round wouldn't chamber. Had a bullet stuck in the bore. No powder in the first round and the primer drove the bullet in enough to stick!

I sat there watching the dogs, trying to figure out how to get the stuck bullet out...

Unreal. Would have been a pretty easy double.

Hunt was over, Truck antenna too big to knock out the bullet. Came back to town and got it done.

The Tally-Ho will be back there tomorrow morning for revenge, after I weigh and shake all my ammo! blush laugh

Hahahahaha!

First time I've done that before!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always have a TH with me and like you, I first thought this call doesn't work right but quickly figured it out and started killing coyotes with it. It may have something to do with the pitch or tone but they do work.

I have some custom calls were pretty expensive and I even make my own but the cheap TH gets it done. Nothing wrong with the critr call either but given one production call, I'll take a TH.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure a guy learns something new every day you chase Wiley....

I was surprised after I had my first TH a while, based on the mark on the reed, that not only do I use my lips, but my eye tooth as well for some different pressure and or sounds.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tallyho is definitely not foolproof. Try a CowTalk elk call-it won't freeze up. You can adjust easily to change pitch.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but the rubber bands don't last too long. They seem to give out right when you need them most....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't waste the postage sending it to you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Click on the pic for Tally-Ho recording.

[Linked Image]

I recorded the sounds I'm getting with the Tally-Ho so far. I'm getting a little better the more I use it. Recording this and then listening to it helped me adjust my calling and improve what I thought sounded good in this sequence.

What do you guys think?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup. it'll do....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds pretty much OK to me. Sounds like you still have the original reed in it. If you want more rasp, and what I think is a more realistic "live" sound, get yourself some .010 milar from All Predator Calls and make a new reed. Your doing pretty good I think.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was getting some pretty good raspyness toward the end of the sequence. I moved down the reed (put more in my mouth). Also adding a hum or some voice worked. I'll check into the milar too

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
grin You've got it going on pretty good, just add a little "death and dismemberment" to that thing and you'll be a happy camper when the coyotes hear it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tally ho's don't work, they are bad send them to me for disposal Russ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 18 invisible), 1,107 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.