Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning to you Bob

My Kliengunther 7 mag loves the 160 NP.It's a rifle I should use more.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You too Mike! The 160 is another good one!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This spring gonna try for a good black bear.Will use the 150gr NBT from my STW.Got to find out how tough that bullet is.It sure gets good reviews from everyone that has used it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty hard to beat moderately heavy for caliber Nossie Pts at moderately high velocities for any BC hunting/game I have ever seen.

I like guns, especially classic CRF bolt rifles and have 12 times as many as I need, due to an understanding wife, hard work and living a frugal, modest life. I, long ago, realized that, for me, the most realistic approach to this question, was to develop a load for each rifle, that was as competent for ELK as possible and it would whack deer,etc. as well....and, even Grizzly, should that become an immediate issue.

I have, for about 35 years, shot 150NPs, in many .270Wins, 160s in my beloved .280 Rems., 180s in .308 and .30-06 rifles and like that. I have every confidence that, when practiced and using my usual caution about actual shooting, I can/will kill any animal I choose to with these loads.

As, I age, I much prefer the lightest rifle I can carry and I have a number of fine "medium bores", which I somewhat prefer as I am slightly more conservative than John Birchers, but, if tired on a given morn, I will use one of my .270s on an elk hunt to save packing a half pound more that day and call it "good"....seems to work for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mike Dober has me shooting the 150BT,too grin But I have killed nothing with them.

Kutenay many think the 270 is too light....maybe so,but I would not hesitate to use it on very many animals. wink

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A .45-70, 500 gr. will kill everything from poodles to grizzly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah show the faith Smashburn Brother Bob. I'm awaiting on Brux for my next tube for the Mash and stock piling 150 NBT's.

My reamers in Idaho now for a couple days... cool

Not sure if there's another reamer for the Mashburn that was so well traveled..grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/07/13.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bump.....lets play some more while it's winter grin

I would 'think' that after 15,400 posts......

the 223 AI should be considered. grin grin

laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

I think Confidence + Competence borne out by PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE breeds success and hopefully RELAXATION for the shooter in the moment.

+1000

Very well put, I only added 2 words to your statement, and that makes way more sense than any discussion regarding calibers and bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I have come full circle several times regarding what is the ideal caliber for North America. Course when I lived in interior Alaska I tended to shoot larger caliber rifles, have owned 2-375's,2-338WM's, 1-325WSM, 6 or more 300WM's, 1-300WSM, 6-30-06's, 2-7mm's, 5 270's, 1-270WSM, 2- 257Roys, 2-243's and over the years I shot a lot of different stuff with most of those guns, also been privy to several dozen other animals shot by buddies with a vast assortment of different calibers and truth be told I cant say that 1 caliber really worked better than others. I've shot big stuff and smaller stuff , some shots better than others. I just got back from 10 days visiting with family in Utah and as I , my father in law and 2 of his hunting buddies were drinking beer and butchering an Elk my father in law shot a week before we got there the conversation commenced about what calibers have worked best on all the big Mulies and Elk that these guys have killed in nearly 30 years of hunting together, and these guys hunt their asses off in 3 different states that border Utah. Weatherby's came up, 300 Win Mags came up, 7mm's came up, 06's came up, 338's, 270 , etc. Mt father in-law owns many guns, and after nearly 50 years as an adult hunting the West for deer and elk from Wyoming to Utah, for both food and sport he admitted he as well had come full circle in calibers about 10 years ago. He was Elk hunting with a guy in Colorado that was shooting a 25-06 and apparently the guy made a long shot on an Elk that did him in pretty good and with short work. My father in law ended up shooting this guys 25-06 later on in the hunt and said it just brought a smile to his face. That next spring for his birthday he bought himself a Ruger M77 Stainless 25-06 and since that purchase all of his other rifles have just sat in the safe! He's killed his last 9 elk with that 25-06 as well as a bunch of mulies. The guys went back in forth with fun gestures teasing each other about stuff like remember when that one cow wouldn't go down that you shot and I had to put it down with this caliber or that caliber, and in the end it was a lengthy discussion between the 4 of us about a lot of different animals that have been killed in the last 30 years and in many different states. Obviously there are critters in NA that would require more thought about what is the best tool for the job, I can think of Big Bears in S Alaska for one, but I wont even put moose in that category as I have killed and seen them killed quite easily with so many different calibers with well placed shots. But truth be told for me, I want a good bullet and I like to have ability to reach out and touch stuff say between 0-400 yards without any concerns for trajectory challenges (something the 06 is quite challenged in IMO). But taking the words out of my fathers mouth....." All I need is for the [bleep] to be inside 400 yards and I'll put that bullet right behind his shoulder and the 25-06 just does that so easily, piss on all that Recoil!" I think that we as hunters tend to overthink a whole bunch of stuff and then legends and folk lore from gun writers since passed and of course history tends to alter our thoughts and ideas, but enough field time tends to change how we think or feel about the tools we use, but it seems to be a lifelong process thinking about what is best in anything we use in the hobbies we we envelope ourselves, fishing, golf, etc its no different! I killed two 8 pt whitetail bucks in the last month, neither huge bucks but average about 150 lbs. One was shot with a 270 w/ 130 grain CoreLoks and 1 was shot with a Colt AR shooting 62 grain Fusions in .223, both bucks required zero tracking and the caliber I shot em with was an after thought, but it is funny how we overthink stuff when were alone or chatting on the internet!.....Happy New Years guys!

Good stuff AC. One of my best friends and mentors in life has taken many arks of game via flight 25/06. For elk and keep in mind he's seen more big bulls taken than anyone I know of he swears that day in and day out that his 25/06 turfs them quicker than anything else going.

He's cool in the presense of game, surgical with his strikes and has a ton of experience as he's been toting a 25/06 for about 6 decades I think.

I really get a crack up when people diss the 25/06 for big game. My best friend and his two sons all have 25/06's and it's all they use for all that moves in Wyo.

This stuff isn't rocket science, put a good bullet in a good place and good things happen.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree... within reason, give a good shooter/hunter any weapon and killing won't be an issue.

To me the most under-discussed, important aspect of killing cleanly is the ability to remain unexcited in the presence of game prior to and during the shot.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
He's cool in the presense of game, surgical with his strikes and has a ton of experience

You just described my father in law to a T! He doesn't get all giddy about killing stuff, at least not that one would notice, and hes surgical with a rifle. He shoots very very well offhand and is steady as can be. He just makes short work of stuff that many make a big chore out of. Whats funny is some of his buddies aren't like him, I have personally seen him say Jesus Christ give me your damn rifle and make a surgical head shot on a elk or mule deer that one of his buddies is making a pin cushion out of. I've also seen him pull out his little pocket knife and stone that he ALWAYS carries, and gut an Elk or Mule Deer in 3 seconds flat. He wasn't born like that....its come from 50+ years of killing chit in his 62 years of life. My wife tells me stories about her upbringing and during hard times ($$$ wise) they wouldn't have eaten had he not killed a deer or elk growing up in Wyoming and many stories of damn near life threatening situations they as a family got in to trying to put that fare on the table. His experience comes from something more than a hobby and I know there are a bunch of guys on this forum that grew up in that very same western lifestyle. Being a kid who grew up by the Ocean and didn't start hunting til I was 20 when stationed out west in the military, I can say I have learned a great deal from him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why I brought it up Mac. Back when I was guiding it was interesting to see the diff in how people handled themselves in the presense of game.

Come game time (pardon the pun) some would sit and gaulk at the game, others once the target was id'd were going into what I'd call predator mode. Find a nest to shoot from and go to dropping the hammer. Usually only once, but if a second was called for it was off quickly and without hesitation. And the shooter'd be practiced enough to run it from the shoulder.

Actually women are incredibly good at this. My wife's a machine in the presense of game.

Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ah show the faith Smashburn Brother Bob. I'm awaiting on Brux for my next tube for the Mash and stock piling 150 NBT's.

My reamers in Idaho now for a couple days... cool

Not sure if there's another reamer for the Mashburn that was so well traveled..grin

Dober

Dober that reamer has been around a lot grin I have bunch of 150 BT's.....how much 7828 I forget confused

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm torching 77gr of 7828 with the STW 150gr NBT combo.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Brad
I agree... within reason, give a good shooter/hunter any weapon and killing won't be an issue.

To me the most under-discussed, important aspect of killing cleanly is the ability to remain unexcited in the presence of game prior to and during the shot.

Yup, and being a "meat hunter" who has spent a lot of time alone in BC's wilderness game country, I could not agree more.

But, I have seen some VERY experienced guys go all weird when they happen upon a really big ram and, usually, even experienced hunters get pretty shook,when a Grizzly suddenly comes around the bend in the trail some yards away.

Some of what is posted here, I agree with but, I have a preference for bigger bores in BC hunting, mostly due to our usually dense forest terrain and the "6-pt." rule in effect for most of our rather excellent elk hunting.

If, a 6x6 is taking off in Kootenay timber and I KNOW that he will probably be the ONLY legal bull I will see after 3-4 days of very tough climbing in this steep,wet jungle, I feel better hitting him to drive the NP into the opposite shoulder and a .338WM seems to work real well for this.

But, as I implied, I REALLY have all these rifles because I just love fine guns.....a relatively harmless form of insanity smile smile smile

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
As far as in-stock firearms goes, it would be .405 Winchester and a 300-grain Barnes TSX.

Non-stock: .30-06 and a decent 180-grain expand-o-matic.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My 7 x 57 Feathweight with a 140 NP or maybe a 140 Barnes TSX

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Until a recent hunt in Alaska again i always thought my 300 win mag was an all around gun. Which it is.BUT when walking out at dark past 2 old (recent) moose kills that had been cleaned up by a grzzly.AHH it made me think maybe a 375 h&h wasn't such a bad idea. Different areas and dangers make a difference. ED K

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sir,I hope my wife will buy this excuse

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.