Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Made the decision to begin daily carry. Picking up the Glock 19 shortly. Have Supertuck shipping also.

But I was a glutton over the holidays and beer and football just go together. Want an alternative to the Supertuck for OWB. It's winter and snow is deep. Concealment not an issue. Give me time to make the waistband a bit more tolerant of a handgun inside of it.

Thoughts?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For my SR9c and M&P - I like the Blackhawk Serpa. YMMV

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a friend that has many more years experinece packing a G19 than I do and he heartily suggests a Milt Sparks 55BN holster for that Glock! wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like the Blackhawk Serpa, and Galco Avenger.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
It's winter and snow is deep. Concealment not an issue. Give me time to make the waistband a bit more tolerant of a handgun inside of it.

Well, you're going to want to get a second pistol for your coat pocket to go along with that G19 riding underneath all those layers of clothing when you're outside. wink

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Safariland ALS. You can fasten a paddle or a belt loop on it. Like I've said before, Rob Leatham will not allow a Serpa holster on his range.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just read your post before I posted the question. Not really a SERPA fan. It's an option for duty carry and I have not opted. I am sure there are a myriad of fine quality custom leather crafters. Was trolling for the Supertuck equivalent if there is one.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Safariland ALS. You can fasten a paddle or a belt loop on it. Like I've said before, Rob Leatham will not allow a Serpa holster on his range.

Pardon my asking, don't want to hijack the thread, but what's the issue with the SERPA?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Made the decision to begin daily carry. Picking up the Glock 19 shortly. Have Supertuck shipping also.

But I was a glutton over the holidays and beer and football just go together. Want an alternative to the Supertuck for OWB. It's winter and snow is deep. Concealment not an issue. Give me time to make the waistband a bit more tolerant of a handgun inside of it.

Thoughts?

Blade Tech or Comp-Tac make nice OWB kydex holsters. Also, the cool thing now seems to be the Raven Concealment holsters or one of the many copies.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some folks have shot themselves by releasing with a hooked finger, instead of drawing with a straight finger.

I sorta understand why some ranges don't want liability issues surrounding follow-on suits and so on.

I've always drawn with a straight trigger finger anyway. I really like the Serpa.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 01/08/13.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Pardon my asking, don't want to hijack the thread, but what's the issue with the SERPA?

A Serpa and a 1911 is a worst-case scenario, but I'm still afraid of them except with a DA/decocker, and the ALS is still a better choice for those. For your enlightenment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rGnMKszxg

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've seen that video before. Thanks for the link. I'm still happy with my choice and would choose it again.

I'll do my best not to follow in that guys footsteps. smile

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Accidentally pulling the trigger while drawing seems more of a training issue rather an equipment issue. I recall similar things being said about Glocks in the early years. I even worked for a Chief who would not let us carry Glocks because we would have undoubtedly had many ADs and slain countless innocents.

-Z

p.s.- The guy's reaction was priceless.

Last edited by Zrack656; 01/08/13.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
DeSantis Belt slide with or without thumb break
easier without thumb break!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Plain old Galco belt-slide with thumb break.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
serpa, you can actually wear a loose fitting t shirt and role concealed with it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of good ones listed. If you put one on order and have to wait, pick up one of the Glock sport combat holsters (if you can find one). They are slim, hold the gun well, conceal well, are easy to draw from, etc. They are kinda like a Glock...not to pretty, not expensive, and work really well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Zrack656
Accidentally pulling the trigger while drawing seems more of a training issue rather an equipment issue.

That was my thought too.

JJ - Be interested to know which direction you go.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Accidentally pulling the trigger while drawing seems more of a training issue rather an equipment issue.

That was my thought too.

I get your point but, at some point, the "training issue" becomes a red-herring. Like saying that just because Hobdell and Miculek can shoot a 625 so fast that it sounds like a subgun burst, hitting with all rounds, that everybody else can do that with enough "training", when the far easier thing to do is to just get a good autoloader and learn to run it SAFELY.

NOT shooting yourself, is pretty much job one in a gunfight.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That was my thought too.

I get your point but, at some point, the "training issue" becomes a red-herring. Like saying that just because Hobdell and Miculek can shoot a 625 so fast that it sounds like a subgun burst, hitting with all rounds, that everybody else can do that with enough "training", when the far easier thing to do is to just get a good autoloader and learn to run it SAFELY.

NOT shooting yourself, is pretty much job one in a gunfight.

So after reading this thread again (and I realize we're getting a bit off topic on the OPs post) and thinking about it some, I went home last night post work and got ready to walk the dogs (which includes holstering my SR9c in it's SERPA.)

I've drawn that pistol a 1000 times (or more) from that holster and it's like autopilot now, so I drew it a few more times while really paying attention and each time, after releasing the pistol from the holster and drawing, my trigger finger ended up on the side of the slide. Maybe it's just my habit.

I'm not saying accidents don't happen, because they do. I'm only saying I am comfortable with this particular set up and like the SERPA. However, I'll always be reminded to remain vigilant of technique and trying not to shoot myself. Then again, I try not to shoot myself with ANY gun/holster set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.