Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
and the .30 cal. is, of course, superior to the .284. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by eyeball
and the .30 cal. is, of course, superior to the .284. wink

Not in terms of sectional density.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot my first elk with a Wby Mk V in 270wby. 250 yards, first shot it didn't move, hit it with another, stumbled 20 yards and died. 2.5" inches apart, nice rest on a low apple tree branch.

Very unappreciated round.

Plus I'm one of thousands of guys who grew up lusting after their Dad's Weatherby. His was a Vanguard Deluxe in 7 Rem Mag with a great piece of wood. When I was finally old enough to shoot it, I was used to the 6 pound trigger on my 760 6mm Rem and wasn't ready for the 2 pound trigger on his Weatherby. It gave me my only eyebrow cut ever, and of course it was the day before Christmas. Even though - I'm still a sucker for a nice shiny Weatherby.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looked for a long while for a Mark v SS in 270 why. Finally found one in the classifieds here and it was too much to pass up. I have found factory ammo if purchased right to not be anymore then most premium ammo out there plus you are getting Norma brass. In any event this one will be a one load rifle when I start handloading it. The stainless Marks are not made anymore which makes this one even more valuable.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The .270 ROY will easily do 3200+ with 150's and 3450 with most any 130. Do so w/o much recoil compared to the big 30's. I have used mine on everything except brown/grizzly to include elk, moose, black bear, deer, sheep, goat, and other stuff I can't remember.

good round actually my favorite when there is a chance for a long shot.

Lefty C

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To answer the OP's question - I think it is because the .270 Wby is just a higher cost, harder to find and slightly less flexible version of the 7mm RM.

The only reason to own one, imo, is "just because". Which is good enough in my books!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Looked for a long while for a Mark v SS in 270 why. Finally found one in the classifieds here and it was too much to pass up. I have found factory ammo if purchased right to not be anymore then most premium ammo out there plus you are getting Norma brass. In any event this one will be a one load rifle when I start handloading it. The stainless Marks are not made anymore which makes this one even more valuable.

Never understood why WBY stopped making the Mark V in stainless?
I found a stock Stainless Mark V in 270 WBY several years ago and my great wife spent about 2 grand having it re done by the WBY Custom Shop/Kampfeld/eddie fousnaugh.Great all around caliber and rifle,
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you guys talking about actual SS Mark V's or the brushed nickel coated version? As I understand there were very few real SS rifles made.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was growing up just as WBY rifles were becoming popular. I do and did not like the high gloss finish nor the hype surrounding the name. I believe the 270 B is not popular because, like the standard 270 there are lots of cartridges that will preform as well or better with less hype. Besides the WBY was known for 40 years as having one of the worst triggers on the market. I bought my push feed Model 70 in 1970 for $165. Nearly equal to the 300 and 1/3 the cost. You will find few B's that will shoot nearly as well. If you like them that's fine, have at it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Arac
Are you guys talking about actual SS Mark V's or the brushed nickel coated version? As I understand there were very few real SS rifles made.

They made them not sure of the quantities.

This is my fourth SS Mark V 300 wby 7mm why 270 wby and a boring 30-06

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Elkmen,

Always good to hear from people who either haven't used Weatherby rifles much, or haven't used them at all in the past decade or so.

I have, and the triggers are pretty damn good (especially on the Mark V's) and the accuracy is outstanding.

As for the .270 Weatherby itself, I've owned and hunted with two and it works just as well as the 7mm Remington Magnum--except the .270 caliber offers a BUNCH or really good 130-grain bullets, which easily get 3400+ in the .270 Weatherby.

That's the outstanding bullet weight in the chambering for me. It shoots very flat and knocks the snot out of anything from pronghorn to elk, whether you use the old-fashioned Nosler Partition or one of the newer bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AMRA
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Never understood why WBY stopped making the Mark V in stainless?
I found a stock Stainless Mark V in 270 WBY several years ago and my great wife spent about 2 grand having it re done by the WBY Custom Shop/Kampfeld/eddie fousnaugh.Great all around caliber and rifle,
AMRA

We both have great rifles ..congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks,The Wife treats me better than I deserve,The only problem
now is the Son-in-law has been after me to let him have it since
we got it back from EddieF Cerakoting it.And Skane trading me
the Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 for it.I told him he will have to wait till I croak!!.
Would like to see a pic of your WBY Mark V stainless 30-06.
I looked for one for years.
AMRA

Molan Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Wbypoor
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

If Weatherby ever offered the 270 Roy in the Vanguard, it would be a home-run imo.

FWIW the 270 was a available in the Vanguard for a time but has long since been dropped from the line.

That Vanguard Classic in 270 Wby was a beauty. I have only seen a couple in person. The last one I saw was at a gun show - walked away to think about it/let the dealer deal with some other customers and when I returned he'd sold it for $100 less than I was going to offer him.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AMRA
Thanks,The Wife treats me better than I deserve,The only problem
now is the Son-in-law has been after me to let him have it since
we got it back from EddieF Cerakoting it.And Skane trading me
the Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 for it.I told him he will have to wait till I croak!!.
Would like to see a pic of your WBY Mark V stainless 30-06.
I looked for one for years.
AMRA

Don't have it anymore unfortunately frown I'll have to learn to get by with the 270 WBY

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
MD,

thanks to your advise I built one years ago and killed a boatload of stuff. Used only 130 Noslers or 130 Barnes for everything. Vaporized varmits with 130 BT's.

The barrel has never been polluted by 150's. smirk

Lefty

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (06hunter59, 219DW, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 60 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,270
Posts18,525,479
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.