Print Thread
Hop To
J
jmsdad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I will be reloading for an AR15 in 6.5Grendel. Got two 100ct bags of Alexander Arms/Lapua brass. I have Hornady dies already and a RCBS shell holder for the 6.5 grendel.

Do I need the Hornady shell holder? It's only $5. Is the tolerance off when using one brand of dies with another brand of shell holders? I have mix n' match dies/shell holders in the past when reloading cheap commercial WW, RP brass, but now I'll be using high $$$ Lapua brass...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In over 60 years of reloading it has never once entered my mind that the shell holder and die should be by the same manufacturer. Never once. As a result I have shellholders from companies no longer in business that I use with current dies. Have never had a problem that I KNOW of.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not adverse to mixing parts either, you would be surprised at what mix's and matches.

...and a lathe helps.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm with zim, it's never crossed my mind to try and keep shellholder and die the same brand. If you set up your dies correctly the shellholder should never touch the die anyway with most dies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agree with Crow hunter and Zim

Never even thought about using the same brand of shell holder.

Just adjust your dies to the shell holder.

Been doing it this way for over 40 years.

Virgil B.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jmsdad
I will be reloading for an AR15 in 6.5Grendel. Got two 100ct bags of Alexander Arms/Lapua brass. I have Hornady dies already and a RCBS shell holder for the 6.5 grendel.

Do I need the Hornady shell holder? It's only $5. Is the tolerance off when using one brand of dies with another brand of shell holders? I have mix n' match dies/shell holders in the past when reloading cheap commercial WW, RP brass, but now I'll be using high $$$ Lapua brass...

The shellholder you have will work fine.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use shell holders from RCBS,Hornaday,LEE and Redding and never noticed a difference.

I would say you are good to go.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been thinking about going with the competition shell holders from Redding in the sizes I load most... .223, .308, belted mag, and WSM... like everyone else, I never gave any thought to them not working with my Forster, RCBS, or Hornady dies.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Same here, never gave it a thought. Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Herters etc never have had any issues.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As has been said, you'll be fine with any brand or make of shellholder that is cartridge appropriate.

However, if you happen to have several different brand shellholders for say, an '06, I would always choose to use that same brand shellholder that you worked your 'final' load up with for that particular load/rifle/cartridge. Whether or not there are any real notable differences at all between brand tolerances, always try to remain as consistent as possible 'cuz accuracy is derived from such practices.

Good luck......

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Regardless of what dies or combinations you use, you need to know how to set them up properly.

The various manufacturers of guns, ammo, and loading equipment do a darned good job of managing tolerances so that things work OK together - usually. However, even if all the loading gear is from the same manufacturer, sometimes the tolerances are such that things just don't work quite right.

Sometimes you can make it work out yourself, or with the help of somebody who has the equipment and know-how to machine metal, or the manufacturer.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmsdad
but now I'll be using high $$$ Lapua brass...

There's where you really wasted your money.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my shell holders are RCBS or Lee. A while back I printed out a seven-page chart that lists the shell holder number for just about every cartridge that you can imagine. It cross references Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady numbers. Here it is:

www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

Last edited by mudhen; 01/11/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I keep a full set of LEE handy just in case, but generally use RCBS or Redding, but don't hold to that. The lee are in case I buy something I cant' find the right holder for. Even then things like 50 beowulf or such can bite ya.

I even mix one type of size die with another seater due to each having something I wanted but not both....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jmsdad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you all for your inputs. I bought the Hornady shell holder just to have it in case I misplaced the other brands. You can never have too many!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.