Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking at getting a little .22 kit gun and I like both of Ruger's offerings. There are things I like and dislike about both of these so I am really torn. What are yall's opinions???

I am leaning a little more towards the LCR but I like the single action ability of the SR plus its about $100 cheaper

Like I said, I cant decide crazy

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It would be easier to shoot "shot" at rats with the LCR...both are pretty neat little handguns.

The 22/45 Lite and SP101 4.2" both keep catching my eye....but they may be a bit larger than what you're considering.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
It would be easier to shoot "shot" at rats with the LCR...both are pretty neat little handguns.

The 22/45 Lite and SP101 4.2" both keep catching my eye....but they may be a bit larger than what you're considering.

Thats one of the reasons I really like the LCR is that you can shoot any dang rounds including shorts, shot, CBs, ect

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried going "small" a few times for .22lr kit guns and regret it every time. I have not shot either of the Ruger's you are thinkin about but I've yet to find a similar gun that "I" shoot well. By well I mean possible bunny plinkin at 50 feet.

Recently went back to a Ruger 22/45, this time with a 4.5" barrel, and couldn't be happier. 30 oz. +/-, short enough for standard hip holster while sitting in the truck or in the field, small enough for easy storage and/or packin.

Moral of the story is if you're thinkin you might want to be able to hit anything with your gun I HIGHLY recommend shooting one first. Some people can, some people can't, I'm in the latter.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used a S&W model 19 for years, bought a Ruger 22/45. Never used the S&W again. Perfect, VERY accurate kit gun. I eat very well on backpacking and canoe trips thanks to the Ruger - would even do in a pinch for self defense.If I'm going where big toothy things live I pack a S&W Model 58 4 inch or a Savage 30-30 0ver 12 gauge rifle.

Terry

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The SR22 only weighs 18oz with a 3.5" barrel and has received a lot of good reviews. (See Hickock45 Utube video on it.) I would be very interested if I wasn't already geared up with .22lr shooters.

Two of my favorites are a Firestorm 22 and a Ruger 22/45 MkII that I put a Tactical Solutions 6" fluted black barrel on it. It now weighs just 21oz and has a green fiber optic front sight. It is a little spendy to arrive at this end but seems to me to be well worth it. Superlite weight to carry and very accurate with that barrel.

I would recommend the SR22 with it's ten round mag and only wished that I could justify one for our safe.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The .22 LR LCR is going to go down in history as one of the most useful handguns in the history of handguns.

I would not give the SR a second glance if I were comparing the two.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you asked for our opinions, the two biggest drawbacks I can see to the LCR is the double action only and the fixed sights, that latter being a deal killer. One can learn to hit well with a DA trigger and the LCR�s I�ve tried have great DA triggers, but it�s still second fiddle to a good single action pull for precise placement on small targets. And speaking of precise shot placement on small targets - add the fixed sights which may or may not shoot to point of aim for your loads and you almost guarantee yourself a hard time with that. They might be good enough for hitting cans and stuff, but could you reliably hit a particular letter on that can? Plus, you mentioned the ability to shoot LR, shorts, CB caps etc., which pretty much guarantees they won�t all shoot to POA.

The SR22 is nice, I like mine. It�s pretty accurate with the right ammo out to 25 yards � 1 �� benchrest groups are doable - but it wouldn�t have the ability to feed all of the different rounds you wanted from the magazine. You could still single load those if need be, which is a PITA for sure but at least the capability is there. The SA pull is okay, not great, but decent especially when you break it in a bit. It�s very light weight.

The Ruger SP101 seems like a good choice since it would handle all of the ammo types albeit it�s more expensive than the others. It has good adjustable sights, a decent sight radius and the out of the box triggers I've tried in stores is okay - not S&W great, but typical Ruger. I understand they get better with use as well. It weighs 30 ounces with is halfway between a S&W kit gun (25 ounces) and their K-frame M18 at 35 ounces.

I haven�t shot a 22/45 Lite but if you don�t mind single loading some rounds that would seem to be the best of all. It�s only about 22 ounces, it has excellent sights, the trigger is the same as any other MkIII which varies from pretty good to really nice and can be worked on. The generous sight radius gives you even more precision.

These last two are "better" handguns for shooting and hitting but they are definitely bigger than the other two for carrying.

Of your two choices I�d go with the SR22 if compact size and light weight override the need to feed the various types of rounds by other than single loading. Plus you can dial in the sights right where you want for your chosen carry load. I think you might be eventually disappointed with those fixed sights on the LCR for precise hits on really small targets.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've tested four different loads in my LCR and they all hit to the same POA.

My son and I have shot it with shorts and it hits plenty accurate enough to hit whatever you'd want to hit with a short.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I like the .32 kit guns made by Colt in the 1920's.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The Ruger SP101 seems like a good choice since it would handle all of the ammo types albeit it�s more expensive than the others. It has good adjustable sights, a decent sight radius and the out of the box triggers I've tried in stores is okay - not S&W great, but typical Ruger. I understand they get better with use as well. It weighs 30 ounces with is halfway between a S&W kit gun (25 ounces) and their K-frame M18 at 35 ounces.

+1 on this. I'm really liking my SP101 22lr 4.2":

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I like the .32 kit guns made by Colt in the 1920's.

[Linked Image]
That's a hell of a miss if you are shooting at a squirrel...

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I don't have the LCR and have never shot one, so I can't compare. But, I do have the SR22, and love it. It shoots well, has adjustable sights, and digests anything I have fed it. I would recommend it without reservations. In a nylon Holster, you forget you're carrying it.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My dream kit gun would be a S&W 317 in 22mag with a 4 or 4.5" barrel. I know I will never see one though. I can't even find a smith that would covert one for me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
That's a hell of a miss if you are shooting at a squirrel...

If I was shooting at a squirrel instead of for groups, I would have adjusted my aim and taken his head off.

In fact, I'd take the heads off 5 in a row. The sixth one may escape with only the loss of a nose.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why not a Ruger bearcat? I bought one for my son and had to buy another for me. I love that little gun so much more then my single six.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tough to beat the original kit gun IME.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought both an SP101 and an SR 22

Like 'em BOTH and they make a nice pair of choices.

That being said, the SR 22 is my all-time favorite handgun, and I've owned a bunch!

Virgil B.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thing hiccuped with one brand of HP's yesterday. This target is from 7-20yds mixed ammo.

Like it so far. Needs a titanium can.
[Linked Image]

Travis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
This thing hiccuped with one brand of HP's yesterday. This target is from 7-20yds mixed ammo.

Like it so far. Needs a titanium can.
[Linked Image]

Travis

SWEET! ...the Aviators make up for any lack of can deficiency...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.