NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7300522 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Orion2000]
Talus_in_Arizona Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: AZ
+10 on all the positive posts. Trekking poles are one of the top outdoor products I've used in 50 years. right there with quality boots. The load they take off and the increased stability in rough country must be felt to be believed. I have a $50 Cabela's set and they have been through hell and back. I don't plan to be without them.

Double the above if you're over 45 ...

RV 728 BP
#7300580 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
Greenhorn Offline
Campfire Ranger

Did it for over 20years without good poles, just a branch every so often. Poles kick ass. Wish I'd had known how helpful they were years ago. Good ones (carbon $$) are necessary, if you don't want to bust them, and be able to quickly adjust for the incline. Also, light is better as who wants to carry otherwise useless crap around..

#7300777 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Greenhorn]
Shag Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Cowlitz County
Love my Stoney Point Monopods.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/mp_explorer_monopod.html

They have been very reliable. Tough. usually use two to pack into hunting area. Then one supports my shelter qand the other one goes hunting and doubles as a shooting and binocular rest.

Never met anyone yet that can out glass me. Adjust Mono Pod to desired height while sitting to glass. Y yoke make an excellent bino rest. One glassed for 6 hrs and produced a dandy 180+ inch Muley Buck. Would have never seen him hqad I not been so comfotable glassing.

Even the use of just one hiking staff is a tremondous help packing out meat. Provides excellent ballance and rest ability.

I never hunt without at least one. And two always go on overnight trips.

#7300780 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Greenhorn]
ribka Offline
Campfire Guide

saved my ass many a time hiking on loose shale, wet branches and rocks, icy conditions.

Shot a buck in MT this year deep down in a big break. By the time I got him boned out rain and snow moved in and getting dark. Those who hunt the MT breaks know how slick they get in the rain. BD hiking poles helped me pack that buck out of the slick and wet breaks.

#7300785 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Greenhorn]
Shag Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Cowlitz County
Originally Posted By: Greenhorn
Mine slipped this year, but only when wet and some serious pushing on them.. I'm sure I could just tighten it a bit and it wouldn't budge. They slipped when climbing with this.. ~130lbs of meat alone. Probably the heaviest pack I've ever carried. I used a nice pair of Lekis this summer for a while, abused the hell out of them and they held up. Like the Black Diamonds el. carbon contours better though.

But a better couple photos of the Black Diamonds..

Greenhorn, Is that a Stone Glacier pack that goat is in?

#7301126 - 01/12/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Shag]
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
I've posted this pic before for other reasons, but it also applies to poles. Coming off that steep thing, a pole is invaluable for several reasons...not the least of which is that white lead llama. He has a habit of hanging his head over my shoulder and pushing me coming down. I use the pole to whack him on the legs to back him off.

#7308118 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Rock Chuck]
Campfire Regular

Good to know! Llama-whacking abilities can probably be expanded to other species. I frequently vex rattlesnakes with mine when a better photography position is needed.

#7308271 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Blaine, WA
Black Diamond Boundary: only one length adjuster per side, and large tubes. If you take the time to cut what you don't need off the end of the lower section, you make them quite short, certainly short enough to not extend past the top of a pack when strapped on.

Price is right too.

If it's steep snotgrass or hard shale chutes, then you want an ice axe. 100CM works for me both as an arresting and walking aid, and you can get one from SMC.

#7308307 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: wdenike]
Bear_in_Fairbanks Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Fairbanks, Ak.
I don't care what anyone says, I think they're a waste of money. Use a walking stick? For sure. Cut the damn thing in the woods. If necessary, cut it at home & then take it with you.
Bear in Fairbanks
Gun control means using two hands.

#7308496 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Bear_in_Fairbanks]
Campfire Regular

I know carbon fiber ones are the bee's knees, but the aluminum ones are good, too. Would rather have cheap aluminum ones than a cut stick.

#7308529 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
ribka Offline
Campfire Guide

hard to find a cut walking stick with ergo cork handles and straps.

#7308643 - 01/13/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: ribka]
Campfire Regular

My point exactly. The grip angle means everything. I also like the shock absorber type of pole.

#7309362 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
Biggs300 Online   content
Campfire Regular

I have a pair of Black Diamond Trail Shocks with flip locks. Yeah, I know, a lot of folks think the shocks are just a gimmick and I wouldn't argue one way or the other. But, I like the fact that they are quiet and adjust out to the length of a walking stick which I probably use 50% of the time (packing the other pole). But when I'm climbing, it is hard to beat 2 sticks. Talus is correct, the grip angle is important especially when climbing and/or descending.

#7309725 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Bear_in_Fairbanks]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Originally Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks
I don't care what anyone says, I think they're a waste of money. Use a walking stick? For sure. Cut the damn thing in the woods. If necessary, cut it at home & then take it with you.
Bear in Fairbanks

You've mentioned this several times. Why don't you go to Wallyworld, gamble $15 and try them out. If you hate them, give 'em to the local boy scouts, heck you're out $15 and proved your point.

If you REALLY try them out I bet you'll soon be shopping for some "better" ones.

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7309726 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Rock Chuck]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: Rock Chuck

Every time I look at this photo it makes me smile!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7310619 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Rock Chuck]
AB2506 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Calgary Alberta, Canada
Black Diamond. Can't remember the model. Elliptically shaped. Designed for heavy guys like me. Used them since 2007. Great poles.

#7311705 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: snubbie]
Bear_in_Fairbanks Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Fairbanks, Ak.
Originally Posted By: snubbie
Bear in Fairbanks

You've mentioned this several times. Why don't you go to Wallyworld, gamble $15 and try them out. If you hate them, give 'em to the local boy scouts, heck you're out $15 and proved your point.

If you REALLY try them out I bet you'll soon be shopping for some "better" ones.

1. I don't shop Wallyworld.
2. Ya gets what ya pays for.
3. I knew I'd snap somebody's undies with that comment.
B.I.F.
Gun control means using two hands.

#7311948 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Bear_in_Fairbanks]
ranger1 Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central Montana
Tried some out after reading this post. I had previously figured they were just hippy gear, but after seeing that some whose opinions I trust are using them I thought I'd give them a shot. I had a set of cheap Cabelas poles that came with a set of snowshoes. After having used them for about 5 hours of showshoeing yesterday, I can say that I am a fan. No mountains over here, but steep hillsides were much more easily traversed and overall exertion seemed lower. Now to get a set with adjustment that is more reliable.

#7312044 - 01/14/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: AB2506]
jpb Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: northern Sweden
Originally Posted By: AB2506
Black Diamond. Can't remember the model. Elliptically shaped. Designed for heavy guys like me. Used them since 2007. Great poles.

AB2506:

I have been considering a set of Black Diamond trekking poles, and I would sure like to know which model you are happy with since there is a wide range in prices.

If you CLICK HERE, you will see that Black Diamond makes 4 different eliptical trekking poles.

Could I trouble you to click the link and see if you can identify the poles that you have, then post back here to let me (and perhaps others) know please?

Thanks in advance,

John

#7313050 - 01/15/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: jpb]
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
I see that Black Diamonds are 'elliptical'. Does that help reduce wind resistance for high speed elk chases? grin

#7313175 - 01/15/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Rock Chuck]
NathanL Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: TX
It keeps the different sections from rotating inside another.

#7313427 - 01/15/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Bear_in_Fairbanks]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: snubbie
Bear in Fairbanks

1. I don't shop Wallyworld.
2. Ya gets what ya pays for.
3. I knew I'd snap somebody's undies with that comment.
B.I.F.

yep

Edited by snubbie (01/15/13)

#7313701 - 01/15/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: AB2506]
Campfire Regular

Costco recently had trekkers similar to my Cabela's for about $25 I think. I know the shock absorbers sound like a gimmic or weak link, but I like them. Are poles noisy? Not as noisy as me faling down the damn hill. If you need poles you are making noise anyway. If you don't you can fold them up and pack them.

#7314465 - 01/15/13 Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Talus_in_Arizona]
Greenhorn Offline
Campfire Ranger

Been hunting and "cutting sticks" for 30 years. Didn't buy a pair till this year, and it was money well spent. To each their own. Easy to get around fast in rocky cliffs and a backpack in 4WD, easy to skip across wet rocks and tangled deadfall while crossing a creek with a heavy pack and poles. I spent around 40 days using my poles this year, a relief of a purchase, long overdue. Also saw a guy fold over a shitty brand new pair in 4 hrs, first time using them.

I don't care what anybody says.. laugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
671 registered (163dm, 12344mag, 222ND, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 69 invisible), 1409 Guests and 318 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,256 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,187 Topics
9,925,513 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.